Which hardware pedal did you keep since getting your Axe-Fx III and why?

GameChanger Plus Pedal because Fractal's Hold function does not do what that pedal does. OTOH since I started running it through a Plex Delay, sweeping Filter and a sweeping VolPan, it's become a much more useful bg texture.
Can you share that preset? I also have a plus pedal and this sound interesting!

Boss Sy-300

Although The Fractal team have done a fantastic job in updating the synth Block, I do wonder why its included in the software if it doesn't perform as well as other independent units such as the Sy-300?

I still have a couple of drive pedals (Wampler Tumnus Deluxe and Plexi Deluxe) as well as a TC Electronics Flashback and EH Freeze. I only keep them to use with a Katana practice amp that I keep at my dad's house for when I visit him.

Had a Freqout in the loop ......til I got it dialed in on the Fractal.... Don't need it!

Set up a performance dial to change pitch...... ditched the Drop!

Have a few fuzzes to keep around.

I sold every pedal I had even the Klon. I could come up with better sounds with a little tweaking on the Fractal.

I wish I had kept my Moog and Memory man delays. I can't get a good sounding BBD delay out of the Axe. Everything else is gold.

I still have a vintage Morley Tel Ray Power Wah Boost, same as Cliff used for For Whom The Bell Tolls. I haven't been able to come even in the ballpark of either the wah or the boost with the AX3. I also have a dirt cheap vintage DOD FX65 Stereo Chorus. It's actually a very subtle but beautiful chorus. I had read John Frusciante used one back in the early 90s when his CE1 broke, but no idea if that's true. I don't use it anymore as the AX3 does just as well if not better, but I'd probably be lucky to get $30 for it, so I'd rather just keep it just in case. Lastly I have a TC MimiQ, but since I'm only really recording lately I haven't used it in a while.

I kept all my guitar pedals. Just looked, and they are all still in the case with the pedalboard. Turns out they were all in the bottom of the bag because the velcro fell off most of them due to FL heat and lack of attention. :oops: I can't seem to get rid of a couple amps and pedals...they were handy to take to open mic jams and for some of my past bands. Strymon Flint, Timmmy, Memory Lane Jr, etc...they just work.

But the III / FM3 don't need no stinkin' pedals mehn. :)

Still got my TC Electronic G-System and old 80's Boss DS-1 long dash silver screw, for some reason it always sounded great in front of the Marshall JCM800 2204 (now sold) and even my Fender CS Prosonic that's been hiding under the stairs for a few years.
Now with the III I don't think I would ever use them again..

EDIT: just remembered the Vox Wah

Last edited:
I just bought stuff for a new pedalboard, not the least of which was a DS-1. I love that even today they only cost $50 new.
I also got a Suhr Riot, Freedman Nomoretears wah, JHS muffuletta and a new Cali76, all of which are more or less now in the Axe.
Actually I wouldn't have even bought the Riot had I not fallen in love with Axe's model.

I've kept all my Effectrode pedals and will never sell them.
They are relegated to the studio though and will one day be handed down to my grand-kids who will (whilst playing through an AxeFX XXV) marvel at the little tubes sticking out of them and say "I wonder what they're for".

Last edited:
SY1000.jpg
KORG MPK-130.jpg
Why?
The SY-1000 because it cannot be replaced by the Axe-FX III. It is a different animal (hexaphonic modeling)
The Seymour Duncan 805 because I haven't managed to fully clone it at the Axe-FX and because I like the convenience of having hardware knobs at the drive

Last edited:
Here’s what I kept:

8970F2FE-90A9-4C59-89F5-7CE9DA3D94A3.jpeg

the phase 90 is pretty old, probably a transitional model, next is a home made range master that’s pretty cool in particular with the RAH. The SD is modded and I’ve had it for over 25 years.

The market in NZ is pretty shit: due to the small population you almost never get a good price for your stuff. Especially not niche products. And before I sell these under price I rather keep them (until there's something you really, really want... I do have my eye one a Remington 700 in a Magpul stock with a Leupold scope... so... we'll see). Even though there’s absolutely nothing the III can’t do.

...and once in a while it’s good to switch on a real amp to remind yourself how insanely awesome it is to have a whole studio in a box. Record worthy tones at your fingertips. At all times. And at all volumes.

Back
Top Bottom