Which do you prefer? : Running the Axe-Fx thru a Wedge Or Power Amp and Cab?

Cynical

Hello everyone,

I am new to the Fractal community as well as the unit itself. Just purchased it and eagerly awaiting it's arrival. I figured while I wait it would be a good time to start considering which route would best suite my needs as far as the amplification side of it goes.

I am looking for something that is loud enough to play with a drummer in a jam room type situation and of course a full band with out getting lost in the mix.

From your experiences with the Axe-Fx which route would you go with?

If you're in the us there is always the option to rent and try. I'd recommend contacting a back line rental company and renting a stereo power amp (qsc/crown/matrix) and running it with one output plugged into a guitar cab and one plugged into a frfr monitor. Just remember to turn off cabinet modeling when running through the guitar cab. Sure you'll have to spend some money, but it beats plonking your cash on something based on other people's recommendation.

I don't use any cabs, my Axe FX 2 goes straight to the PA and I am using in ear monitors. I played a couple of small fun gigs as well were I didn't have my in ear, in those cases I use normal wedges but still no poweramps or cabs.

Wedge.
But I'm the kind of guy that always used to angle my MESA oversized to point it at my ears. Not for loudness, I ran it pretty softly, but because standing upright I wouldn't get the clarity I wanted. And I was always searching for "Studio tone". The way it sounded on records...

I'm using a discontinued dB technologies M12-4+ monitor that was cheaper in Europe than in US. Over here you could get two dBs for a QSC K12, in the US it's pretty much the opposite I guess. Anyway, we put mine next to Yek's RCF NX12 (current flavour of the month on this forum (well, of the year, actually), although the Atomic CLR and the Matrix offerings seem to be challenging it) and it could very well hold it's own. Slightly more uneasy in the treble region, but considering the price difference not bad at all... The CLRs seem to be very good, though... Yorkville, Yamaha, Lem, even some Alto's have all been reported to work well.

Yet, some players have gone back to either tube or SS amps and guitar cabs...

Seriously considering getting a couple of 10" coax like the new dB Tech Flexsys 10s. Small, light, loud enough for my purpose, apparently sounding pretty good for the price. The CLRs are a bit too expensive and heavy, although with Jay Mitchells knowledge behind them, I'm sure they will destroy anything out there...

My band has been considering IEMs, but we're a bit concerned about the detachment that seems to come with it. There are systems to combat this by audience mics, mics in the IEMs themselves, all passing through some ambience from outside. But that's all so elaborate, not to speak of pricy. Good molded IEMs are easily as expensive as good monitors, even without the ambience system.

Plus: NO CONTROLLED FEEDBACK without speakers! Get that easily with my dBs.

Last edited:
Straight to the PA with RCF nx12 . I use my own IR and no power amp sim on any patch ...

No power amp sim? You're not using any tube amplification, you have exactly the setup that the power amp sim is made for. No poweramp saturation for you, then... Well, whatever it takes to make you happy, I guess...

IMO, if you mic up your cab when playing in that band situation - FRFR is the way to go. Monitor with a wedge and send a signal to the PA. If you not mic'ing up and want more of a traditional amp experience - Power amp and guitar cab. You have to be prepared to loose some flexibility as you wont use your cab sims - but theres still plently of versatility.

Ultimately though only you can decide. There are FRFR rigs out there that will work as backline as well - the CLR and Matrix 1x12 actives being the two that spring to mind.(as opposed to the wedges both companies also offer).

BTW, do not mic up wedges or other FR speakers. Don't laugh, we had more than one soundguy come up and set up mics on full range speakers...
Just go direct from the XLR-outs in those situations. If you can't convince the soundguy take the mic's XLR and put in the XLR out when he's not looking. Start the volume out low, like 9-o'clock or it might fry a mic input.

Edit: typos.

Last edited:
Powered wedge.

But I use a pwr amp -> 2x12 gtr cab when and only if I have to. (If the gig requires a trad backline look).

My preference is a power amp/cab. It just sounds more "natural" to me. FRFR sounds artificial to me and is very dependent on your IR selection. I just prefer the "experience" playing through a power amp and cab.

Having said that, if I were gigging again I would probably go with a powered wedge and send a direct feed to the board for convenience and consistency. In the band mix setting, the "experience" of plugging into a traditional cab is less important to me and a powered monitor works great. Plus, the wedge is pointing at you head, not the back of your knees, so it's easier to hear and easier to keep the overall volume controlled. I got good results with the RCF NX12sma when I was using it. I'm on the waiting list for the CLR and will give it a try at some point. But for just plugging in and playing at home, or jamming with friends, I prefer the power amp/cab.

One is not intrinsically better than the other and no one solution works for everyone. The best solution is to try each for yourself, if possible, to choose which works best for you.

As Paul mentioned FRFR backline is another option. The Atomic CLR wedge can stand up like a cab or be put on a stand as a backline solution.

For me, the bridge was crossed when I played through my Atomic CLRs.

Prior to having these active wedges, I'd tried to "hang on" to the cabinet and poweramp scenario. It was met with mixed results and never truly up to my satisfaction. The biggest opinion that I'd may as well kept a head or two available to do the same thing.

Amp-in-the-room feel and sound. Seemed to be a never ending pursuit. Something people spoke of 3rd party, but never truly witnessed or recreated with consistency. Well, so it goes - the CLRs give me what I have always wanted; so in short - NO poweramp - NO cab. Just A2 direct into FRFR and it's beyond good.

My experience, YMMV.

After trying several other options including both tube & SS amps as well as guitar & FRFR cabs I chose this setup,

Axe Fx > Carvin DCM1540L > pair of Carvin TRx12N monitor wedges.

It's just vastly superior to any other solution I've tried.

There are FRFR rigs out there that will work as backline as well - the CLR and Matrix 1x12 actives being the two that spring to mind.(as opposed to the wedges both companies also offer).

Been thinking of getting two Atomic CLR passive cabs to run with my Matrix 1000 (which is currently powering a 4x12 guitar cab). Any word on how the CLR wedges compare to the CLR cabs? Do you lose much if you choose wedges? I'm thinking that in my tight jam room, wedges would be better for me, but harder for my bandmates to hear.

Back
Top Bottom