Which DAW do you use (and why)?

Stringtheorist

Fractal Fanatic
I'm still vacillating on which DAW to work with. I would prefer support for third-party software instruments because I plan to get the Axe-PC when it comes out. I also intend to buy BFD2 for drums so it needs to be compatible with this. And I don't want to spend the rest of my life learning to do simple things.

Here's what I have discovered so far:

Logic - Puts a ton of stuff on my Mac I'll never use and can't be removed without reinstalling my entire OS. Not cool. Also very deep and somewhat daunting for a computer recording novice like me.

Record (with Reason 4) - I have a friend who is a producer with a background using Protools who swears by this combination in tandem with BFD2. However, Record does not support any other VSTs/plugins at this time so it will be incompatible with Axe-PC.

Presonus Studio One - I'm still trialling this. Nice interface but as yet I can't find any preloaded instruments within the demo version. I would prefer to get a package which has quality software instruments already pre-loaded so I don't have to go out and buy them straight away.

Reaper - Downloaded this yesterday. So far I haven't found any preloaded instruments.

Right now I'm leaning towards Record (with Reason 4 Premium Ed.) because I won't have to research and purchase additional products immediately. However, it's expensive and will mean I will have to continue recording my Axe-FX via the hardware.

I'd like to canvass opinion on this and assess what other Axe-FX users are currently working with...

Sorry. I usually edit my posts after I post them. So, see above...

Perfectionism is very time consuming and often the results are still lacking...

Cubase

Why?: Because firstly, it was the DAW used by my college and therefore the first experience in the world of DAWs and the one used throughout my A-levels.

Secondly, because I have a PC not a Mac (im at uni, cant be shifting lots of gear all over the place and I need the PC for other work over a Mac), from what I've been told, cubase runs better on PC compared to others such as pro tools.

Even the Essentials version has plenty of vst instruments and plug-ins to keep you occupied.

However, i don't have much experience on the matter. I have only used cubase and pro tools for a decent amount of time, but i have dabbled in others.
The how to's and knowledge for using a certain DAW can be massive, it depends how deep you want to go, but try and have a play with a couple or like you're doing get lots of opinions.
Of course, chances are you will get many different recommendations for loads of contradictory reasons. But, try and make sense of it all and get a general feel for what's good and what's not.

From my experience, I have had no problems with cubase, it's what i know so i've never felt the need to switch. Excellent support and there is a friendly, helpful community on the forums.

Oh, and for drums, Im currently using EZdrummer.

Pro Tools LE 8.0.1. Because I'm a slave to marketing. :D j/k Pro Tools actually does come with some decent software instruments. What they give you got even better when they came out with 8.0. Not bad at all. I'd imagine with most DAWs, it's gonna be as deep as you want it to be. So I'm not even sure that ease of use comes into play here. +1 on the Addictive Drums! I have both Addictive and BFD2. And honestly, I kinda prefer Addictive. Especially when I want a decent sound quickly. BFD2 requires a little more tweak time. Some fabulous kits in there though.

P.S. If you go the Pro Tools route, you can get more plugs if the interface you buy is the "factory" edition. Worth it in my opinion.

prior experience with Fruity Loops (back when it was called that), Acid, Cubase, Ableton Live and currently learning ProTools, but... I use...

Reaper

Why?
- inexpensive
- does everything I need it to, except possibly live looping like Ableton Live, but I don't need that right *now*
- clean, highly skinnable interface (I could never get over how ugly I found Cubase...)
- the dude who made Winamp made it

What plugins am I using?...

drums:
- (Toontrack) EZDrummer -- quick 'n dirty drum tracks
- (Toontrack) Superior Drummmer 2 -- still learning... but using it for more refined, custom drum tracks
...I've messed with BFD1 before, and liked it more than DFH(s) at the time. So, for BFD2 vs SD2, I was very biased towards BFD, and spent a few months listening to as many samples as I could find and reading as many reviews as I could find and in the end, though I hated to admit it, I liked what I heard from SD2 better. So far, very very very few regrets about my EZD/SD2 and expansion purchases. EZD also won my user poll on this forum :p
- (Native Instruments) Battery 3 -- for adding that "electronic" edge... came with Komplete 5
- (Rayzoon) Jamstix 2.5 -- I rarely use it... if someone knows a way to get it to *constantly* loop *and* recompose, let me know... and even then, I still don't think the "feel" is there like it is in a real drummer's MIDI tracks

keys (pianos):
- (4Front Technologies) TruePianos -- recommended all over KVR, and I had a discount on it, so I bought it -- and it's pretty darn good
- (Native Instruments) Akoustik Piano -- I like it more than TruePianos, but haven't done a very close comparison... came with Komplete 5

synths:
- too many options... so far, since I have Komplete 5, I've been using a lot of Absynth, Pro-53, and FM8 (haven't *really* explored Kontakt, Massive, or Reaktor yet). Also have installed (somewhat randomly, but via KVR recommendations) Rez and SuperWave P8.

bass:
- I've never found a good bass guitar plug-in, and so I use a "real" (Variax 705 bass) bass for that

effects:
- (dBlue) Glitch -- free, awesome... easily overused (careful!)

-----
Also, I like that Reaper comes with a very minimal set of VST instruments (and a minimal-interface set of VST effects). I've done that thing before where you install every VST under the sun just because you can, and whenever I do that, I end up getting nothing done and making my computer hate me.

Hi. I'm using logic, just upgraded to 9. As far as I know you can uninstall different parts and loops without reinstalling the os I'm not sure what you're talking about there. It comes with a good selection of software instruments, it's deep but as far as just recording it's no prob to get started. As you want to get more into it there lots of good vids on youtube, check out sf logic ninja i think for some great tutorials.
The record/reason combo is really cool too, however like people were saying no vst's or 3rd party progs will work with it. Or you could check out protools mpowered if you were also looking at getting an audio interface, it'll work with a lot of m-audio equipment.
Also, www.tweakheadz.com has a ton of info on computer based recording.
Jay

I'm using Samplitude pro V10. I've tried audition, traction and then cubase until I went with Samplitude v9 and now v10 a few years ago. Version 11 is due out any day now and has been released in Europe, free upgrade if you buy v10 now. For what I do samplitude is the best in my opinion. From tracking to mixing to editing, mastering and burning redbook cd's it has it all. The plugins are top notch especially Ammunition which is a very nice mastering tool when you learn how to use it. Has to be one of the most useful vst's I've ever used. I love the editing capabilities in Samp. There's also been talk that samplitude actually sounds better than others but that is up for huge debate, I'm in the group that agrees. Worth checking out if your looking for a new DAW, I'm blown away by it.

I use Sonar because it seems to be the "best" DAW for Windows based systems... they always seem to be a the forefront of new features and innovations...

I use Cubase 4 on my PC (Vista)

It has been the simplest DAW for me to learn. Very easy to use, and i love the drum editor for creating my drum parts.

Drums: (own)
Superior DFH 1
Superior 2.0
New York Studios SDX
Metal Foundry SDX

I've tried Addictive Drums and they sounded pretty good, but i stick to S2.0. For me they are the best sounding and are great for pretty much any style of music.

I'm a bit of a novice myself in the world of DAWs, I wish I had the time to try them all! I chose Sonar Producer 8 and found it to be very deep and cakewalk keeps on top of it, but there is a learning curve as with all DAWS. Currently though I've found that Ableton Live suite 8 works best for me. I love how easy it it to try out different ideas in the form of clips and the live looping feature. I'm still very much in the beginning stages and I'm planning on moving Live onto my new Mac mini, that I'm upgrading to 4g ram and 500g 7200speed hard drive. I'm looking forward to being able to record without hiccups.

Good luck with your journey!!

Stringtheorist, stay away from Record. If you're new to DAWs you might feel comfortable with Record at the beginning but believe me, it doesn't take long and you've learned your lessons and you want more. Record's is very, very limited (and will ever be, because it's the very concept of Record) and will not follow you on your way.
Although I am using Pro Tools LE (I did use Logic 4-5, Cubase VST/SX, Cakewalk 9, Sonar v6-8 in the past) and I think that this is the very best DAW out here I would highly recommend Reaper as the DAW for aspiring beginners because it's easy to learn, has lot's of features, is stable as hell, is compatible to a lot of standards and evolves every day so it is pretty unlikely that Reaper will limit your learning curve by a lack of features. Ahhh... and it's cheap ($60) and well worth the money.

RiF said:
Stringtheorist, stay away from Record. If you're new to DAWs you might feel comfortable with Record at the beginning but believe me, it doesn't take long and you've learned your lessons and you want more. Record's is very, very limited (and will ever be, because it's the very concept of Record) and will not follow you on your way.
Although I am using Pro Tools LE (I did use Logic 4-5, Cubase VST/SX, Cakewalk 9, Sonar v6-8 in the past) and I think that this is the very best DAW out here I would highly recommend Reaper as the DAW for aspiring beginners because it's easy to learn, has lot's of features, is stable as hell, is compatible to a lot of standards and evolves every day so it is pretty unlikely that Reaper will limit your learning curve by a lack of features. Ahhh... and it's cheap ($60) and well worth the money.
Thanks. I'll definitely heed your advice.

I use Sonar but I did stop at 5 just cuz' I haven't needed more. Been on Cake since Pro Audio 6. Also use Sound Forge for 2 tracking. All via a 12 year old Tascam US 428.

Any reason why I should use Reaper in preference to Logic (price notwithstanding)? Probably a bit like comparing apples to oranges I know, but the one thing that I find attractive about Logic is the pre-bundled instruments.

Back
Top Bottom