Which cab with which amp?

Suhrbanez

One thing I liked about Helix was that I'd choose amp+cab and you'd get the best match (or a suggested one at least).

Now that I've come into the Fractal word recently, I'll pick an amp and then I'm presented with approximately 300,000 cabs to choose from.

Other than the few amps that are obvious to me, is there any way I can find which cab goes best with which amp?

Also when do you know when to choose Dynacab vs Legacy? Still trying to figure all this out so any help is appreciated :)

Having a good time with the FM3 so far though!

that's part of the fun i guess, but i totally get the potential option paralysis given the amount of options in the cab block

add custom IRs on top of that and it's a minefield =)

some amps have matching cabs within the cab block (e.g morgan, carol ann, 5153, citrus etc.. )

here's Yek's list from the wiki in the amp list, has matching cabs info if you want to read
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Amplifier_models_list

and cab list
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Cabinet_models_list

however the fun is trying out different cabs with different amps, i actually like the 4" pignose cab on some amps for some tones,

my recommendation would actually to be to pick one cab you really like and then audition different amps through it to get a feel for the different amps,

in the sense that while say a vox ac15 might sound more 'authentic' through a matching 1x12" alnico speaker cab, it can sound very cool through your favourite 4x12 TV Greenback cab as well,

and it might be easier/quicker to audition amps that way, and vice versa when auditioning cabs once you have an amp model you really like

One thing I liked about Helix was that I'd choose amp+cab and you'd get the best match (or a suggested one at least).

Now that I've come into the Fractal word recently, I'll pick an amp and then I'm presented with approximately 300,000 cabs to choose from.

Other than the few amps that are obvious to me, is there any way I can find which cab goes best with which amp?

Also when do you know when to choose Dynacab vs Legacy? Still trying to figure all this out so any help is appreciated :)

Maybe try a few presets with the sounds you are going for and see what cab combos are used in them. Also, Leon Todd has a fantastic IR for free. https://www.patreon.com/posts/my-main-ir-lt-tv-91056054

Doesn’t exist
when to choose Dynacab vs Legacy
I set up channels on the cab block with different cab/mic setups so I can get a few different varieties depending on the sound I need at the moment. I don’t think one is better than the other, they’re just different tools. One of my favorite Marshall cabs is still the legacy basketweave tv mix. Usually I blend some type of dynamic with some type of ribbon regardless of legacy/dynacab. Been using that mic combo for years, way before switching to Fractal.

is there any way I can find which cab goes best with which amp?
Bookmark the cab page on the wiki. They’re all neatly organized by number of speakers and name. Ctrl/Cmd+F are your friend here. There’s also some suggested options for each amp on the amp page on the wiki.

I strongly recommend the Dynacabs. They are easier to get a good tone and you have less options (kill two birds with one stone)

"Legacy" mode is a list of cab/mic positions so, ya, there's a lot. Dynacab mode lets you choose from a list of a few dozen cab level selections (the name makes it obvious which few would normally apply most to your amp choice) - choose one and move the mic position dot to taste - easy peasy / not a horrific effort to get a nice match as some may suggest.

Last edited:

I discovered quite quickly with my Helix that best results came not from their paired amp and cabs, but from my preferred IR or in some cases the same dynamic cab selections, and I think that's how most of us end up going on this. You just end up constantly using the cab or IR that sound good in your acoustic setting, rather than the wide variety actually on offer

You can narrow it down a lot by going with a cab that's the same brand as the amp. If the amp manufacturer doesn't make cabs, I go with the Rumbles(Dumble).

I discovered quite quickly with my Helix that best results came not from their paired amp and cabs, but from my preferred IR or in some cases the same dynamic cab selections, and I think that's how most of us end up going on this. You just end up constantly using the cab or IR that sound good in your acoustic setting, rather than the wide variety actually on offer
Exactly - because "best" is subjective and very personal...

I'm in the camp that tends towards using the same IR(s) for everything because I've found what works for me.

I would add that the speaker (IR) is what changes the tone the most. I personally would spend more time testing different IRs and microphones than, for example, changing the amplifier and its settings. Many even use the same IR every time. Once you have your favorite IR you can try different amps and pedals. My current minset has been like this.

Back
Top Bottom