Which amp

No explanation of your rig or your needs, budget etc ?

Just want us to flip a coin, because without any more info to base an informed decision off, that is all the more we can really do at this point

If budget is an issue -the 800 isnt that different from the 1000 in truth.

If your going for tone - depends where your preferences lie. As I say - there quite close really. The 800 is a little more compressed and mid sounding - kinda Mesa Mk1 thick if you get me. The 1000 is more open and a little more dynamic.

Those descriptions are very ballpark though - its a comparison NOT a description as such. You can tell the difference when you have both side by side - in different rooms on different occasions your not going to notice.

No explanation of your rig or your needs, budget etc ?

Just want us to flip a coin, because without any more info to base an informed decision off, that is all the more we can really do at this point

I will be using an Axe Fx XL with two 1x12 cabs each with a 16ohm Eminance tonkerlites (125 watt each). I look forward to having the choice between mono and stereo rig.
I just don't know if the extra £100 will make that much difference. In stereo I will get 120w per side with the gt1000 I will get 150w per side in mono 520w for the 800 and 600w from the 1000.
I am a boogie MK1 fan, so if the 800 is darker it maybe the one.... But is it worth paying the extra for the gt1000.

I would highly recommend the Carvin DCM1540L. Sounds really great with the Axe-FX II, has a bit more power than the GT1000FX and half the price!

I have a question for the group! I just recently got an Axe-Fx Mark II and also snagged a Carvin TS100 tube power amp. I read in another post that one of the guys had a tube power amp that caused him tone problems and wasn't happy with it, at all really. I am BRAND new to a rack set up. I haven't even set everything up yet. After playing for 15 years with solid state amps like Vox, Line6 & a Marshall AVT150H & 4x12 cab, I've just now branched out to a rack set up.

Was I "wrong" in going with a tube PA, like my Carvin TS100? I hear nothing but great things from the community saying "GET A MATRIX GT800F, thats the best one!" Not on this post, but everywhere I've searched. But, then i have to consider, holy shit....I'll never need 800 watts for an amp! I can barely crank up 50w all the way without the neighbors getting pissed.

Question #2: Am i better off getting a solid state PA like a Carvin DCM200L over the TS100 tube PA? (CarvinGuitars.com : DCM200L ULTRA LIGHT 200W POWER AMP) I will be playing strictly through my marshall 4x12 and not currently playing any gigs or with a group. Just jamming at home. Lucky enough, my landlords in Seattle are musicians and don't mind at all when I crank it up a little bit. Too loud and neighbor "Polly Pissy Pants" will call the cops or complain.....

Question #3: Im not experienced enough with my Axe-Fx (brand new rookie to it) to tell the tone differences between a solid state or tube PA. Nor have I had the chance to play through both. Does it really make a difference? I've played through tube amps off and on, but mostly solid states over the years. My main focus for my Axe-Fx was to dial in my tone similar to John Petrucci's and have that Mesa sound and for some clean channels for blues, etc. Also, I'm down in San Diego for an extended period of time & bought the TS100 here at the factory & still have the receipt. Help a buddy out and let me know the best course of action. I can always run into Carvin & switch P.A's and trade it in.

Last edited:
Where to start !!!!

SS v Vale - yes it makes a difference. Valve power amps compress and even break up when pushed. With the AFX you generally dont want this as your getting those characteristics from the AFX. Also, SS amps have high OP impedance and vale ones low. That means the valve power amp reacts differently with the speaker dependent on the frequency of the sound. Again though - you get that fro the AFX so shouldn't need it from a valve amp/cab interaction. That said - for SOME people, that AFX sims arnt 100% yet - in particular that amp/cab interactivity when using a real cab, and thses players still prefer a valve power amp. It is more airy, and slightly scouped in general - but nothing that cant be EQ'd either way (from a tonal rather than interactive POV). The only Question with valve power amps, its amp sim on or off in the AFX. Personally when I used a VHT amp I left them on as I was never playing loud enough to even tickle the amp. Once you get to decent volume levels though you need the sims off - and that kind of defeated the point for me personally.

Secondly - watts. Dont be scared of 400 or 500W SS amps. A valve power amp will produce way more than its rated watts when pushed full up - often twice or more. It will also compress slowly - so you dont hear when the signal starts to distort (as opposed to clips - the signal peaks flatten slightly and thats when you get a warm top end with harmonics). With a SS amp you want to stay WELL AWAY from clipping/distortion as it just sounds bad. Given 3db is double power - and you really need at LEAST 3db headroom in a SS amp - the working watts is at least half, maybe even 1/4 (if you really want to play safe, and have maybe quite a big lead volume jump) of the amps rated output.

On top of that - you nee to look at your cabs ohm rating. With a valve amp it doesnt matter - theres generally a switch to match the amp to the cab and the actually watts output is the same. Not so with a SS amp. SS amps are generally rated into 4 Ohms, and every doubling of the ohms will reduce the power the amp generated by roughly 1/3 - and for some amps its 1/2. So - if you use a 16 Ohm cab - that 400W Matrix is actually only going to generate around 160W into that cab. Then take into account the minimum 3db (half power) headroom and your actually left with a working equivalent power of approx 80W. Given the valve power amp may well generate double its rated output - The TS100 could get up to 200W when pushed. This is often why people say valve watts are louder than SS watts. There not, a Watt is a Watt- its just how much watts are actually generated into a given cab in a given situation.

S0 - either the Matrix 800 or 1000 are perfectly suitable and roughly equivalent to a 100W valve power amp - into a 16 Ohm cab. Into an 8 or 4 Ohms there a lot louder and you do need to be aware of the power or you "could" blow speakers. Its easy to keep that in check with ah AFX though - just set you master OP gain lower to restrict whats coming out with the volumes max'd.

So - summing up (ask q's if you need). Tube or SS amp is personal, but in general the more updates cliff adds to the AFX - the less necessary a valve amp is to get the tones from an amp/cab set-up. Secondly, a 400-500W (per channel) SS amp is probably the minimum you need into a 16 Ohm 4x12. If your using a 4 or 8 Ohm cab you could drop that to 200W or so. The Carvin DMC200 you mention is fairly nice sounding, but IMO very under powered for a SS amp in this context. It wont be anywhere NEAR as loud (cleanly) as the TS100.

AS a guide, my VHT 50W valve amp was just louder than my Matrix GT800 when both were at maximum (without clipping). My GT1000 is slightly louder/ohm par with the VHT. This into am 8 Ohm 2x12.

Thanks dude. That helps a bit! Bare with me though, I'm by no means an electrician so, understanding the different Ohm's for a cab when running a specific power amp is slightly confusing. All thats been plugged into my cab is the head that came with it. I don't have my Marshall cab right in front of me, its in another state. The cab is an AVT4x12. Since I have the AVT150 head. I found a picture of the real panel and it says 8 Ohm with 200w. Could you please help clarify, if by this info, I should go with a SS or tube state power amp for best sound with my A-FX MkII? Keep in mind, I won't be turning the amp up to 11 anytime soon or playing in front of hundreds of people. Wish i was, though. :roll Perhaps I am overthinking this by not fully understanding the amp terminology (No shit, sherlock !:lol ) My Carvin TS100 has switches for 4, 8, & 16 Ohm's. I could be just fine and overthinking it, due to a head injury I'm dealing with. It confuses me plugging my A-FX into a two channel tube power amp..... I don't want output being sent into my A-FX in one channel, then clean sound being sent into my cab in the 2nd channel, I'm just so damn new to this realm of guitar rigs! For my entire guitar playing life, it was tune up, plug in & play, have fun.
marshall-avt412-s.jpg

Last edited:
The spec labels shows you have an 8 ohm cabinet with a 200 watt power rating. 8 ohm = resistance of the the speakers as they are wired up, and tells you that you would use the 8 ohm output of any amplifier you plug it into. The 200 watts tell you that the cabinet can handle up to 200 watts of input power, which pairs it up nicely with a 150 watt amplifier. There is no indication the cabinet is stereo, so would only use 1 channel of the 2 channel amplifier. Just set the output of channel 1 to 8 ohms and plug your speaker cable into one of the channel one output jacks, you don't need to use output 2.

AS above. Set you TS100 to 8 Ohms and your good to go. If you used a SS power amp, and wanted the same kind of volume/punch as the TS (but with a lighter amp and flatter frequency response) your going to need something that puts our roughly 200W clean into 8 Ohms. Thats all good as your cab will handle that no problem - and will allow the amp to put 100W clean into the cab while still leaving 3db headroom before clipping. To get that youll need an amp that either states its output is into 8 Ohms - or if its into 4 Ohms (more usual) your going to need something rated at 300-400W per channel (or a combined output of 600-800W). Personally Id go safe and look for a 400W per side amp - which is exactly what the Matrix GT800 gives you.

As far as tone - I recently posted a clean to crunch video (using vol control on guitar only), which is using a Matrix power amp into an 8 Ohm (120 Watt) 2x12 cab. Ill post it here too - just for you information and tonal reference.

Back
Top Bottom