Where to start for Rikki Don't lose that number Solo sound?

Stratman68

Axe-Master
Wasn't sure where to put this. Figured this was safe. Well I know it was a Strat and possibly Ampeg amp. So with our AX8, where would you start-amp\cab & FX wise I mean. Sounds like volume to me, no OD or drive.. Maybe clean boost or just LOUD.

Thanks for any ideas

Not sure how to help you Stratman, but adding some Ampeg amps to the Fractal arsenal has been on my wish list for years. I have owned several and toured with V-4's for several years. I converted the other guys in my band. The other guitar player switched to using V-4 and the bass player went with SVT. We played REALLY loud.

Wasn't sure where to put this. Figured this was safe. Well I know it was a Strat and possibly Ampeg amp. So with our AX8, where would you start-amp\cab & FX wise I mean. Sounds like volume to me, no OD or drive.. Maybe clean boost or just LOUD.

Thanks for any ideas
I recently did this. But don't ask for the preset because I don't think it's close. I didn't have much time. But I think most of those amps The Dan did then with Baxter and the like, were small. I think I used a Deluxe Tweed.

Not sure how to help you Stratman, but adding some Ampeg amps to the Fractal arsenal has been on my wish list for years. I have owned several and toured with V-4's for several years. I converted the other guys in my band. The other guitar player switched to using V-4 and the bass player went with SVT. We played REALLY loud.
Hey John...I found quite a few sites that said it was an Ampeg.....I will post back if I get something that sounds right. Thanks

I would love to see a model of the V-4 (or VT-22). I owned one back in the day...the Stones used them. Was one of the Best Amps I ever owned...I used it with 2x12 EV closed back cabinet. I have fond memories of it... Check this out...Walter Becker's rig (V-4) look at 11:30 on the video:

Last edited:
You might try this preset. See if it works for you. It is my Lonestar preset. One of my go-tos.
Hey John....Mighty kind of you. Sounds great with my Lindy Fralin loaded 2006 deluxe Stat-My avatar. Sounded good right off the bat. Have to fool with it tomorrow

Thanks Again
Frank

Do we know who actually did that solo..?it was before Fagen/Becker started employing all those amazing studio cats...Skunk Baxter perhaps?

I heard someone use the SuperTweed model awhile back doing a Steely Dan cover of something and the tone they got out of that amp was as I recall was pretty spot on.

That was probably following Larry Carlton. I know he used a Tweed Deluxe for the opening of "Don't Take me Alive."

He pulled out his old studio Deluxe Tweed and did a video, it was only set on "2" and his 335.

He used a Deluxe Tweed for a lot of solos back then on Dan albums apparently/Royal Scam era.

I love the end of that video - "now I'm going to bring in Rick Wheeler to tell you how I set up my Dumble..." <fade out> What a tease!! :-0

Fortunately, the next video is in the YT list ;-) (Dumble content starts around 8:30)

I still have my V2 and V4 (with 4*12 cab). Great amps, had them since the early 80's. Definitely some unique missing tones from the Fractal palate. Would be nice if they get added at some point... ?

I still have my V2 and V4 (with 4*12 cab). Great amps, had them since the early 80's. Definitely some unique missing tones from the Fractal palate. Would be nice if they get added at some point... ?
Yep. I added Ampeg to the Fractal wish list quite a while back. When I was touring I had 2 V-4s running 4 4x12 cabs. Did I mention that we were loud? Well... we were loud.

Love the Dan.. that tone in that tune seems pretty straight forward to me. Strat into a Fender type amp with slight breakup more or less.. I played it briefly in a band and I remember using my Diamond compressor pedal on that tune to push the amp a little and add some treble for cut while adding just a small amount of compression (pretty small- almost more like limiting). Strat or a Firebird (min hum) on the neck pickup.. I would probably take the same approach on the Axe FX.

One thing I find critical for me to dial in a good tone on the Axe (and enjoy playing frankly) is to play with a bit of healthy volume, especially for material like that where the tone is clean to low gain and the amp would usually be turned up enough to start compressing on it's own. Nothing crazy, but more volume than what someone would likely call bedroom or home volume. Enough to make the room acoustics get involved and make things (including my ears) compress a little etc. If I can't get away with that amount of volume, I usually grab an acoustic or Uke, etc.

Back
Top Bottom