Where to get isolated tracks for upcoming tone matching in v6?

jjozwia

Power User
With the upcoming v6 release, the new tone matching functionality has me very excited along with like, duh, everyone else. So to the point... really how do people get master tracks and/or isolated tracks outside of looking through songs to find a spot in a song where the instrument might be solo for a few seconds. So just stating a thread where people can exchange ideas because all that is new to probably a lot of us.

Found the following which looks pretty legit for purchasing and has some great previews you can play. I'm a windows user and only clients are apple but interesting site even with small volume.
Jammit | Play with the Masters

On the maybe less then legit side... these are some random mixes that are linked out to youtube and quality differs greatly...
Studio Multitracks

While you can find anything from master track rips from rock band/guitar hero floating as well in shady corners of the internet, what are some legal/legit ways to get these... Outside using them for tone matching I really think it would be fun just to play along with them minus the track I would be playing like it appears is what jammit does for you.

I remember collecting loads of these a few years ago when that whole guitar hero / rock band thing was going on.
You'd also get the 24 track sessions of Bohemian Rhapsody and alike. Used to listen and analyze the sounds very often.

Trying to dissect full master track I found the following to be of great help isolating instruments in full mixes.

1.Download Winamp:
Winamp Media Player - MP3, Video, and Music Player - Winamp

2. Download DSP Centercut
Download DSP Centercut 1.4.0 Free - A Winamp plugin that separates stereo audio into side and center channels - Softpedia

This is a plugin that can be used with Winamp (and other programs as well that support .dll).

3. Move it into the .dll folder of winamp.

4. Now start Winamp.

5. Open any song inside Winamp.

6. While playing, go to Preferences/Plugins (or something, don't recall exactly right now).

7. In the bottom you switch between different modes of Centercut.

It can be a kind of vocal remover thing.
More importantly, it can take out the whole middle of the stereo image (i.e. everything that both channels have in common (usually the dry voice, bass, snare and kick drum).
Since guitars in rock music are often double tracked and panned to the sides you can now have them pretty much isolated depending on the part of the song. Also, mute one side to focus on one mono guitar track.
There are other settings etc., just experiment, it also helps with reverb and delays effect as you will be able to seperate those in many cases.

If you wanna go deeper treat the resulting tracks with iZotope RX 2 and the like.

If someone has a certain guitar part he'd like to have isolated I'd give it a try (no guarantees, though!).
Just let me know.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom