Where is the volume set ? Please help ?

mattseed

Inspired
Hi guys I am about to buy my first axe FXII and looking to get a Matrix GT1000 amp and Q12 cab or there Q12 active cab......still can't decide that yet.....mainly for bedroom volumes.

Anyway my question is when using an axe FX into a powered FRFR set up like this can you control the volume of your sound from the axeFX like you would a guitar head and leave the amp on full volume. Or does the axe fx have a standard output and the volume knob on the Matrix becomes your volume control.

I only ask as if I went down the Q12 active cab route the volume knob is on the back which wouldn't be that practical really?

Thank you for any help
Matthew

There is an output volume control on the front of the AXE, but I believe the manual instructs to set that all the way up. Nice thing about the Matrix with passive speaker or a cab is that you can use the volume controls on that to control level. With the Matrix, I always turn the AXE output all the way up.

With an active cab that may have the volume on the back of a wedge (like my Verve 12ma) it's more of a hassle to control volume using the amp as opposed to the AXE. In that case, I also use the output control on the front of the AXE. So my short answer to your question I would run the matrix into a passive cab. (Or if you don't have good studio monitors and are only going to play in your bedroom, start with those. It's cheaper and will upgrade all your sounds).

Hi guys thank you all for your input. This question wasn't just a technical question it was also a practical one too. The point of having the volume round the back of the amp on the powered speaker would just be a pain to adjust. But from what i am hearing it might be that i can set the whole system up at a normal level on the Matrix cab and then make fine adjustments on the front of the axe.....would that be safe to say. So hard buying an entire setup and even after 20 years of playing....one i'm not familiar with without trying it all together first. Any help would be lovely.

Matthew

No, you should set the front volume to get the best gain staging. Start around noon on both devices. Don't overthink it.

I always set my Matrix GT1000 volume for both channels (I play stereo) on around 75% and then dial in the desired amount of volume with the output level knob on the front of the Axe fx. Usually between 25-50% on the Axe fx. Depending on the acoustics of the stage or rehearsal room.

The output level knobs on the Axe fx make the infamous roaring noise that's why I don't like to mess with those knobs too much. You can hear that noise when you turn the output knob of the Axe. Still don't understand why it makes that noise but I have learned to live with it.

Also don't care for the lights on the Matrix. They (can) flicker all the time. Doesn't mean that you are overloading.

Last edited:
There flickering because your signal is on the edge of where the lights come on. It means your around -9db from max output, which is 1/8th of its potential. Turning the volume down - either on the AFX, in a patch OR on the Matrix will result in less flickering and less volume. Increasing any of those volume levels results in a louder sound and the Matrix lights being lit constantly.

Yes but these lights are no clipping lights. That's what is confusing for most people (including me). The lights don't mean that you are overloading. It's hard to make them not flicker even at low volumes is my experience.

Back
Top Bottom