Where is the Utility/Preset > Midi Dump function?

I've a backup problem;

Because the internal backup function doesn't work correctly (i.e "Backup Bank A"), I tried to dump the bank via midi to my Mac.
My problem is, that I can't find that option in the menu Utility/Preset on the Axe.
The manual tells me, that it has to be there ...
So I dont't have to sing "Where have all the flowers gone ...", but "Where have all the midi-dump functions gone"?

Did I eventually make a mistake?

Thanks for help and best regards!
Mike

It's been removed. Use FractalBot to backup presets.

OK; that's really bad.
It could be a good option to make backups to the computer, when i.e. FractalBot and the internal backup function don't work.
It makes the AxeFx a bit more independent from separate software.

FractalBot produces this time on the Axe II MKII a time-out error when backing up banks.
The backup of the user cabs does work fine.
From time to time that happens, when a new firmware has been released.

Then I will wate until the final releases of the new versions.

Thanks for help and information!
Regards.
Mike

@OP: you can use the dump to USB and use the Axe-Fx as your MIDI card. This way you can use whatever software you want.

You, unfortunately, cannot dump your Axe content to an external device via MIDI tho.

@OP: you can use the dump to USB and use the Axe-Fx as your MIDI card. This way you can use whatever software you want.

You, unfortunately, cannot dump your Axe content to an external device via MIDI tho.

In quantum 1.0 all front panel dump functions (bank or preset, to MIDI or USB) are gone, typically requiring Fractal-Bot or Axe-Edit to request the data instead.

Those who use(d) utilities like SendSX for preset backup may be interested in this alternative: Create a .syx file of the "get edit buffer" command. (For Mark II units it's F0 00 01 74 03 03 7F 00 7A F7) To get a preset backup, open this with utility of choice and send it. Assuming you have that program associated with .syx files, this tends to be faster than using Fractal-Bot, especially if you want to make the filename more informative than the preset name. Fractal-Bot automatically saves with the preset title, requiring navigation to save folder to rename.

In quantum 1.0 all front panel dump functions (bank or preset, to MIDI or USB) are gone, typically requiring Fractal-Bot or Axe-Edit to request the data instead.

Those who use(d) utilities like SendSX for preset backup may be interested in this alternative: Create a .syx file of the "get edit buffer" command. (For Mark II units it's F0 00 01 74 03 03 7F 00 7A F7) To get a preset backup, open this with utility of choice and send it. Assuming you have that program associated with .syx files, this tends to be faster than using Fractal-Bot, especially if you want to make the filename more informative than the preset name. Fractal-Bot automatically saves with the preset title, requiring navigation to save folder to rename.

Thank you, a nice idea ;-)
I'll try that in a few days.
For now, MacOS FractalBot has unfortunately still the backup timeout problem.
With Q1beta1 and with the final release.
But the internal backup problem is fixed now.

Mike

G'day LP,
Don't forget you can also export all your presets and user cabs from the tools menu of axe edit too?

Pauly

The MIDI and USB bank/system dump were reeeeally useful, especially since Fractal Bot has backup issues as seen in its subforum.

Are these sysex commands documented somewhere? I'm willing to build the necessary CLI tools in order to regain the ability to do backup/restore from Linux.

Are these sysex commands documented somewhere? I'm willing to build the necessary CLI tools in order to regain the ability to do backup/restore from Linux.

I got that one using virtual MIDI ports & SendSX to monitor Fractal-Bot output. Here are the bank & system commands (as before, for Mark I/II).

Bank A
F0 00 01 74 03 1C 00 1A F7

Bank B
F0 00 01 74 03 1C 01 1B F7

Bank C
F0 00 01 74 03 1C 02 18 F7

System
F0 00 01 74 03 1C 03 19 F7

Thanks. I have first signs of life; loading preset number, name and buffer from my XL+.

It took me a while to recall that every model has a different ID. ISTR that there might be a standard sysex message that'll let me query the ID from the unit itself.

Tomorrow I hope to have time to finish the preset download and see whether I got it right by comparison against backups I did just before the upgrade to Quantum.

There's code available for some of these things if you're interested. Google afx2lg. It's on github now. Hasn't been maintained for a while though.

I got that one using virtual MIDI ports & SendSX to monitor Fractal-Bot output. Here are the bank & system commands (as before, for Mark I/II).

Bank A
F0 00 01 74 03 1C 00 1A F7

Bank B
F0 00 01 74 03 1C 01 1B F7

Bank C
F0 00 01 74 03 1C 02 18 F7

System
F0 00 01 74 03 1C 03 19 F7

this is interesting.. because the MIDI traces I took yesterday show the same function-ID [1C] for banks A thru C
but iirc the command to dump system was function-ID 44

note: my Axe-II is a mk1 [don't know if that makes a difference]
I'll retrace a little later to confirm..

here goes..

the starts the dump with this:
F0 00 01 74 03 35 7E 05 48 F7
then is starts asking for the banks
Bank A: F0 00 01 74 03 1C 00 1A F7
Bank B: F0 00 01 74 03 1C 01 1B F7
Bank C: F0 00 01 74 03 1C 02 18 F7
System: F0 00 01 74 03 44 00 42 F7
timeout error message

Bakerman's System is this: F0 00 01 74 03 1C 03 19 F7
not the same as mine

my Axe is a MkI / Bot Device = Axe-FX II

FYI: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...-restore-tool-prerelease-test-invitation.html

The tool is still in prerelease test (details on linked page), but it's getting there. The main issues right now involve confirming operation on Axe-FX II models that I don't have (mine is an XL+). If you have a Mk1, Mk2 or XL and need to use Linux to do your backups, please read the first post in the linked page and consider joining the test.

Thanks. I have first signs of life; loading preset number, name and buffer from my XL+.

It took me a while to recall that every model has a different ID. ISTR that there might be a standard sysex message that'll let me query the ID from the unit itself.

Tomorrow I hope to have time to finish the preset download and see whether I got it right by comparison against backups I did just before the upgrade to Quantum.

Tanks a lot to TieDyedDevil, but one shouldn't need to use "hacks" to do a backup.

BTW your idea is brilliant and can be used to automate the backups. Neat!

Back
Top Bottom