Where is the Sat switch? Also, recto problems.

Raab90

Inspired
Hey, I'm new to the highgain stuff.
First of all, where is the Sat switch supposed to be located at? Can't find it in any of the models. I only see the Boost, Cut, Fat, Bright switches.
Second, the rectos seem to have very low gain. I remeber using them a few firmwares ago and they had lots of gain.
I downladed Clark's Petrucci Rig and it didn't sound anything like his recording. what am I doing wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpaRy5gbWG8

Sat switch now resides on the [adv] tab in the AxeFx, 7th line, and on the [other] tab in AE.

Do you have a midi pedal attached? Maybe recall the preset on that.

I just loaded the preset and the IR and it sounds pretty much the same as the clip. Sat was off, BTW. AFAIK, CK is using a II, not the XL, but they should convert alright. What am I thinking. This preset is pretty old by now, at least around FW 12.x or 13.x. The XL didn't exist yet at that time. Anyway, it has no scenes enabled, which would have been nice to show the tones in the clip.

I like stroopwafels. And CCCs. Chocolate Chip Cookies.

Last edited:
Thanks for you reply!
To get Clark's tone, you used the drive block too right? Because I didn't.
Basically I'm trying to ask if clark's gain in the video is all the boogie, without any sort of boost engaged. I've always known dual rectos as high gain monsters.

I was comparing the recto model to the on in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j34U7k6mWzI

I dialed the same settings for both the red vintage and red modern and it gets reaaaally similar but only if i activate the sat switch (Authentic)

Sorry for my ignorance regarding rectos and high gain. I'm a plexi guy D:

Stroopwafels wat. I have to try those one day, they look delicious!
Soon I will begin my journey throughout the seven seas, across all realms, in the search of the holy waffle.

Put a boost in front, level at 10, drive at 0. It's not there to up the gain; it's there to tighten up the tone, and I have a feeling that that's what you're looking for, rather than more gain.

I'm still a newbie in the Fractal world, less than a year wit my Axe FX II, so I can't tell what's going on.
But I'm a Mesa guy and I assure you that the Rectos have lots of gain and you won't need any boost in front of it for it to saturate.

You can definitely rely on the Recto's gain. Something's wrong in your patch =/

I'm still a newbie in the Fractal world, less than a year wit my Axe FX II, so I can't tell what's going on.
But I'm a Mesa guy and I assure you that the Rectos have lots of gain and you won't need any boost in front of it for it to saturate.

You can definitely rely on the Recto's gain. Something's wrong in your patch =/

Hi, could you (or anyone else for that matter) try uploading a track using just the recto red (vintage/modern) model?
No pedals or boosts of any type (this includes input trim).
Also, post settings, so I can compare.
Thanks!

Hi, could you (or anyone else for that matter) try uploading a track using just the recto red (vintage/modern) model?
No pedals or boosts of any type (this includes input trim).
Also, post settings, so I can compare.
Thanks!

it would be much easier for to just upload your patch...

it would be much easier for to just upload your patch...

Sure, i'll do that too. And I will also upload a track.
It' not a uh, "patch" per se, just a recto and a cab.
I'll upload it tonight so u guys know if it should sound like this or not!

you say that you are new to high gain stuff....have you played recto's in real life? i mean, you say you don't want boosts but 99.9% of the time when they are used in high gain applications they are being hit at the front end with an 808 or something...

you say that you are new to high gain stuff....have you played recto's in real life? i mean, you say you don't want boosts but 99.9% of the time when they are used in high gain applications they are being hit at the front end with an 808 or something...

I agree this adding 'with the exception of the mini recto'. That thing can get quite tight and gainy without a boost.

I know that all of them have the same amount of gain (same preamp circuit). But you know what, I learned something today :)

The perceived amount gain depends a lot on other factors. I never could feel enough gain with the Mark IIC+ model with any IR I used (I used minimal post eq).

But today I cut just a little of the 400 - 1000 Hz (about 2-3 db) after the cab and after that the gain was too much for me.

Last edited:

Well I disagree, but I base my tones in Dream Theater stuff.
But yeah, the Recto should sound awesome with or without a boost =P

I agree this adding 'with the exception of the mini recto'. That thing can get quite tight and gainy without a boost.

I know that all of them have the same amount of gain (same preamp circuit). But you know what, I learned something today :)

The perceived amount gain depends a lot on other factors. I never could feel enough gain with the Mark IIC+ model with any IR I used (I used minimal post eq).

But today I cut just a little of the 400 - 1000 Hz (about 2-3 db) after the cab and after that the gain was too much for me.

That's probably because you start to feel the bite in the tone, so it doesn't feel that "washed".

Back
Top Bottom