Where do you real cab and power amp guys run the output 2 knob at?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Was re-watching some Cooper Carter stuff and he mentions to run it full up on unit's physical output 2 knob when using a real cab and power amp. Said to adjust power amp level for overall. You all do this? I always run PA full up and adjust output 2 to taste.

Please advise. Thanks!

i run stereo into the matrix and max out both outputs on the axe then use the matrix level controls as required.

I think this suits the way the matrix unit works (its an attenuator) - if you did that to a PA you would probably blow it up lol.

I prefer to set the level high on the Matrix (3 o'clock), and use the OUT knob to set the desired volume level.
It's easier for operate and TBH it sounds better to me than vice versa.

I follow yek on this one. I run my power amp to its correct max output position for the cab I'm using and then rely on the output 2 knob for my volume. I have a carvin and so i use different settings for the cabs I use. I read here a few times that you need about 3x the wattage of the cab when using solid state power amps. I'm sure matrix can assist you in their recommended settings for your cabs too.

Was re-watching some Cooper Carter stuff and he mentions to run it full up on unit's physical output 2 knob when using a real cab and power amp. Said to adjust power amp level for overall. You all do this? I always run PA full up and adjust output 2 to taste.

Please advise. Thanks!

I don't do it Coop's way, but I'm running a pair of Ethos power amps - no output level control. Each feeds a separate speaker in a 212, ballpark 20W each.

With this setup, noon on output two is plenty to keep up with a hard hitting drummer. Presets range from -3dB to -16dB output level depending on how gainy they are and how much louder I want the solo presets to be.

Actually, I just always do what I've done in tube rack rigs which is set the power amp volume near max and use preamp output level to control volume.

I do what Yek does.

I like having the Out 2 knob for stage volume.

In my rig, the Fractal is on the floor but tilted up in the rack where I can easily get to and see the front panel. So I can tune or make adjustments from the front panel easily. Also the rig stays low so the stage site lines are open. (using a powered Gator rack and these http://www.eurekasound.com/racklegs)

I run it full. Using a Matrix Gt800FX.

I control stage volume using Matrix "B" Knob. I don't use the A side because I can "feel" where the "B" knob is without looking behind me. YMMV

I follow yek on this one. I run my power amp to its correct max output position for the cab I'm using and then rely on the output 2 knob for my volume.... I read here a few times that you need about 3x the wattage of the cab when using solid state power amps. I'm sure matrix can assist you in their recommended settings for your cabs too.
Same here...
But for a SS amp it should be 1.5 to 2.25x the RMS/Program rating of the cabinet at the cabs nominally rated impedance.

So for a 100w 4-ohm cab - one should use an amp that produces (100x1.25) 125w to (100x2.25) 225 watts at 4-Ohms.

Remember that on power amps, those are are NOT volume knobs, they are INPUT ATTENUATORS and control the input signal level to the amp.. in other words.. if the input level is hot, even with the "knobs" set to almost minimum, the amp can still reach it's rated output level.

When gain-staged properly, there should be no issues.

Same here...
But for a SS amp it should be 1.5 to 2.25x the RMS/Program rating of the cabinet at the cabs nominally rated impedance.

So for a 100w 4-ohm cab - one should use an amp that produces (100x1.25) 125w to (100x2.25) 225 watts at 4-Ohms.

Remember that on power amps, those are are NOT volume knobs, they are INPUT ATTENUATORS and control the input signal level to the amp.. in other words.. if the input level is hot, even with the "knobs" set to almost minimum, the amp can still reach it's rated output level.

When gain-staged properly, there should be no issues.

I'm confused as to how you recommend running it? PA full up and output to taste....or vice versa?

If it's any help to anyone, and this may throw further confusion into the mix, I run both AF2 and the Matrix at maximum. I do, however, turn the gain in the global for output 1 down so not to clip the power amp.

The other guitarist in the band can not keep up with the awesome sauce that is produced by FAS and Matrix. I do get told I'm too loud - Is that even a thing?!

I'm confused as to how you recommend running it? PA full up and output to taste....or vice versa?
With an SS amp that has been gain-staged properly with the cab.. I power up the amp, and control output to it (my stage mon) via the OUT2 level.
OUT1 goes to FOH and is not touched once set...

I use a tube power amp with the volume set almost wide open and use the output 2 knob to set the level.

Back
Top Bottom