Where can I find an in-depth Cab block guide? (IRs)

Luckily there's plenty to choose from when you include third party IRs. Everyone can find something to their taste.

I have many third party IRs, but it is mainly because, I love some cabinets and is easier to find them if you buy a pack.

I think the biggest new thing that happened is the Mikko plugin. I haven't tried it myself, but it is a completely new interface for selecting and building your IRs.

I am still waiting for somebody to really start modeling the non linear character (compression and saturation) of each cabinet. This cannot be done with IRs (those are linear). Fractal has some generic modeling of the non linear effects in the amp block. In suspecting that UA may have done some of this in their OX, but they didn't tell us.

Luckily there's plenty to choose from when you include third party IRs. Everyone can find something to their taste.

I have many third party IRs, but it is mainly because, I love some cabinets and is easier to find them if you buy a pack.

I think the biggest new thing that happened is the Mikko plugin. I haven't tried it myself, but it is a completely new interface for selecting and building your IRs.

I am still waiting for somebody to really start modeling the non linear character (compression and saturation) of each cabinet. This cannot be done with IRs (those are linear). Fractal has some generic modeling of the non linear effects in the amp block. In suspecting that UA may have done some of this in their OX, but they didn't tell us.
Not to be nit picky or anything but neural DSP had the Mikko tech in their amp plugins 2-3 years ago. I’m not sure how one can say the mikko plugin is a completely new thing. Two notes have had the same tech for god what 8 years now? Maybe I’m missing something.

I believe, Neural made it with Mikko.

It is true, Two-Notes had something similar - It just sounded awful. The only thing that made me happy with my two-notes gear was loading 3rd party IRs.

EDIT: I believe Two-Notes solution is more of a modelling approach to the sound with very low resolution/definition to my ears. In contrast, I believe, Mikko has made tons of actual IRs on each speaker, and then he is using a bit of interpolation between the positions that have not been fully captured.

I just tried the IR Player block for the first time, and, comparing it to the Cab block with the exact same IR with no settings tweaked, it does sound different. That may be something else for you to try too. To me, the IR Player leaves the cab sounding more open no matter what, as if it's interacting less with the power amp. I have no idea what's actually going on there, but it is a different sound, and useful to consider if you're not finding stuff you like with the Cab block. :)

I just tried the IR Player block for the first time, and, comparing it to the Cab block with the exact same IR with no settings tweaked, it does sound different. That may be something else for you to try too. To me, the IR Player leaves the cab sounding more open no matter what, as if it's interacting less with the power amp. I have no idea what's actually going on there, but it is a different sound, and useful to consider if you're not finding stuff you like with the Cab block. :)
The cab block sets the high cut to 10000 Hz by default, did you set it to 20k before making the comparison?

Admin M@ has it right. What did we previously do with our amps? Just do that. Look up your favourites, read what they used in their amps, and do it. If compelled to be pedantic, go for it. But don’t get all paralyzed.

Man, I’ve heard interviews with the greatest cats from my era. The ones still alive can barely describe their amps.

Here’s what I think: It ain’t the dress, it’s the girl.

Admin M@ has it right. What did we previously do with our amps? Just do that. Look up your favourites, read what they used in their amps, and do it. If compelled to be pedantic, go for it. But don’t get all paralyzed.

Man, I’ve heard interviews with the greatest cats from my era. The ones still alive can barely describe their amps.

Here’s what I think: It ain’t the dress, it’s the girl.
You know, for the life of me I can't remember where I set the high and low cuts on my blackface bassman with Altec 15s stuffed in it ;)

Last edited:
Does anyone make more idealized IR's? I know all of these are accurate but I wouldn't mind an option of some that are tuned to make it easier and quicker to get the sound in my head instead of being absolutely accurate. The ML Sound Lab Mega Green cab pack is more like that- it is a lot closer to what I have been trying to come up with when auditioning a bunch of cabs over time and was quick and easy.

Does anyone make more idealized IR's? I know all of these are accurate but I wouldn't mind an option of some that are tuned to make it easier and quicker to get the sound in my head instead of being absolutely accurate. The ML Sound Lab Mega Green cab pack is more like that- it is a lot closer to what I have been trying to come up with when auditioning a bunch of cabs over time and was quick and easy.
Without knowing what the sound in your head is, there’s no way to answer your question. “I’m thinking of a number. You tell me what it is.” :)

That said, try Smoothing and see whether that gets you closer or farther from the sound in your head.

The cab block sets the high cut to 10000 Hz by default, did you set it to 20k before making the comparison?

No, I compared the two blocks with no settings tweaked. I didn't analyze the default settings of the Cab block, I just played a loop and compared by ear to see if there was any difference in how any particular IR sounds with default settings in either block type. That's interesting that the Cab block defaults to that LPF. Thanks for highlighting that.

No, I compared the two blocks with no settings tweaked. I didn't analyze the default settings of the Cab block, I just played a loop and compared by ear to see if there was any difference in how any particular IR sounds with default settings in either block type. That's interesting that the Cab block defaults to that LPF. Thanks for highlighting that.
There's a good chance the difference you hear is caused by that then

This know, for the life of me I can't remember where I set the high and low cuts on my blackface bassman with Altec 15s stuffed in it ;)
You said it. If you’all think it’s hard to sort through IRs:

Try buying two different speakers, unscrewing approximately 28 screws on the back of your 1966 Fender Bassman cabinet with your father’s mechanical Phillips head screwdriver, removing the insulation, unsoldering the Utah speakers, soldering the new speakers, replacing the insulation, screw in 26 Phillips heads screws, turning everything back on only to find out you were still you, running up to the hardware store to get two similar screws (to get you back up to 28), only to find out that stainless oval-top heads weren’t general stock items (years before amp supplystores - but 6L6GC RCA tubes cost $4.50 each), then back home to scratch later that evening from your first introduction to fiberglass.

Back
Top Bottom