When to sell MV

Cbaf

Hey guys. Looking for some advice here from the guys who have access to the V10 Beta. As each Firmware has dropped, I find myself getting closer and closer to selling my Mesa Mark V and just going solely with the II. Once 9.0 hit, I made the decision to sell the thing. In prep, I tone matched the channels in the MV with my fav settings.

Now to the question. I have heard on this forum that V10 is bringing enhancements to the tone matching. So I am wondering if the enhancements are just to the underlying amps via Mimic (in which case my tone matches would inherit those enhancements) or to the tone matching block and process itself. So basically, looking for advice on if I should sell the MV now or keep it a bit longer and recreate my tone matches after v10 drops. Thanks for any advice.

someone on the forum tone matched every channel of the mark v with every switch setting
when you find those presets on the forum - you can sell the MV

There are enhancements to the Tone Match block in addition to other improvements mainly focused on the Amp Block and new Cab IR's.

I sold mine for the ultra too. Then got the two. Never been happier. Well except maybe for when v10 gets dropped. Lol

I sold my Axe FX II, did not work for me, did not like the feeling, tone that I wanted could not find easily.
I used it some time for recording, but waaay better alternative for recording IMHO is my amp (eg Toneking Imperial, CAA PT-100 ...) with Torpedo Cab Simulation. Feeling and dynamic as usual, very easy to set and superb recording results.

I have MKV and I will not sell probably until MK VI came out. This amp is so versatile that you will never get matched all tones. With 3 channel (markIV mode) you can dial a high gain sound but with this mode is possible to get a very nice clean warm tone.

I use my axe 2 almost time with studio monitors. But some day I get feeling that my axe 2 not sound god as it should, than I plug my guitar to MKV and play with him for a while to confirm that is not nothing wrong with Axe 2. And I really thing that it's good to have one real amp to compare with Axe 2.

Also using Axe 2 mesa preamp with Mark V amp it is amazing. I usually use my ear to match axe 2 preamp with my MKV preamp. You should try this for example. Match your preamp mark IV on Boogie and then switch on Boogie to second channel crunch mode ( different amp circuit) it sound awesome. You can run matched MK IV preamp through all boogie 9 amps modes, each sound different.

Thanks guys for the feedback. To clarify, my question was aimed at if I should wait and redo my tone matches. I have already made the decision to eventually sell the Mark. Agreed it is an incredible amp, my budget just cannot support keeping them both - wish I could!

I will keep it a bit longer, wait for 10 and redo all my matches based on the above. Thanks again!

I sold my Mark V & Rectifier 2x12 and replaced it with an AXE2.

So far... very happy I did it. I may feel differently after my first gig with it, but I suspect I'll be even HAPPIER.

...and I LOVED my Mark V. So much that I bought another one after selling it for the first time.

I always have a back up amp or two laying around. So if you can, why not hang on to it. Nothing wrong with having a bad ass mark v around.

The Axe FX 2 is a godsend. Never before have I heard digital tone sound so tasty. The effects, and even the presets are just off the charts for a measly 2k and I very rarly get to tweak it much. PLUG AND PLAY!! That said, I don't know if I have a magic Mark V or not, but with EL-34's (str-450) it is simply perfect. I've heard it said that tubes don't change an amps sound but with the FIVE it's a different amp. Whatever you want is right there if you know how to get it, but I get why people sell them. Although it's just switches and dials if you're green you can make it sound ugly easily. Could not part with it personally.

I would keep it until V10 drops. In addition to the improved TM block, V10 will likely bring considerable changes to your current presets, making your current tone matches redundant.

Thanks again guys for the great feedback.

@Scary - I agree totally on the EL34 comments. I always seem to go back and forth between the 6l6s and EL34s due to liking one better for cleans (6l6) and the other for crunch/high gain (EL34). Hopefully with the new TM enhancements, I can get that without having to switch out tubes. But that does mean I have a ton of Tone Matches to do once v10 hits. 6l6, EL34, 6v6/Variac, etc... Looks like I have my work cut out for me!

Honestly, I wish I could keep both, but due to budget I need to make a decision one or the other. And given that the AxeII gets sooooo close to the V, that has to be my decision.

Back
Top Bottom