When is enough Amps enough?

Ant Music

Fractal Fanatic
I personally feel a little intimidated by the amount of amps to choose from on the Axe Fx 2. To me it seems that there is far more in the realm of amplifiers than I'll ever have time to get get my head around. I guesse spoiled for choice is a way to put it. Many would say it is better to have than to not but I also wonder at what point is there more than enough to get almost any imaginable tone? I wonder if by having so many Amps are the differences between them more and more like splitting hairs? Just a question... Your thoughts?

Last edited:
I love the huge updates in both AMP quality and quantity in recent FW´s, but yeah, I cant say that i have tried 50% of them yet. So many of them and with so many advanced parameters its all overwhelming (at least for me).

I would love to see and equal focus on effects/stompboxes in coming FW

anyhooooo... Life is good ;)

Still a fair share to go, and happy it is happening :)

It's like the internet: you can get lost in the info overload, but most learned to adapt, sometimes even can't think of something to browse :)
It's handy that most internet searches always turn up something. We want that in the Axe too ;)
That's how I look at it. The "more is more" and "always knowing you'll be surprised" factor.

Might change my mind from 366 amps and onwards ;)
But "An amp a day" should at least be possible :p

I love the choices. My tastes change so frequently. I haven't tried a ton of the models in any great detail, just find myself gravitating towards a few. And every few months ill tinker with some others. Great way to try amps without "buying" them!

At this stage in the game I would personally love it if FAS concentrated more on stomps/fx, User interface, Axe-edit, or a host of other things. Personal preference though. Just glad they are continuously upgrading the product, though. I can't complain too much.

I too feel like questioning/complaining about free stuff. I'll begin soon :)

Ok. No one is complaining. Let me make that clear. Free stuff is all good. My main premise is that I feel intimidated/overloaded with all the options and I am ultimately curious to hear how others get the most out of it. Perhaps I didn't make that entirely clear in my first post.

I did say "just a question, your thoughts."

This thread is not a whine fest.

I think there are more than enough amps in there. I would like to see the focus shift to fx at least for a while. Granular synth, high end verb, reverse multi delay, more drive pedals and maybe some new fx that would be trademarks of the axe.

The axe ultra and two gave me a great sampleing of different amps that i had not even heard before ... So i started to research and play the real boutique amps ... sold my 2 and bought some real amps... a friedman be/hbe, a marshall 410h , a granger m50 , a komet concord and i have a peters on order... I have not looked back...
thank you fractal for helping me to open my eyes (or should i say my ears)
but now i would like to get some effects and since i have no use for amp modeling i was wondering if there was a big difference in the quality of the effects between the ultra and 2. I think it would be great if cliff just sold the effects part to of the unit with out the amp modeling
thanks

I personally feel a little intimidated by the amount of amps to choose from on the Axe Fx 2. To me it seems that there is far more in the realm of amplifiers than I'll ever have time to get get my head around. I guesse spoiled for choice is a way to put it. Many would say it is better to have than to not but I also wonder at what point is there more than enough to get almost any imaginable tone? I wonder if by having so many Amps are the differences between them more and more like splitting hairs? Just a question... Your thoughts?

What I do is go thru all the amps and choose 3 or 4 that work for the sounds I need, and then just make all my patches with those and ignore the rest, when there are new amps added then I'll check them out and decide if it's worth redoing the patches with the new amps, with so many choices between amps and cabs we could spend the next 20 years just trying combinations.. :) It's good to have all the choices, and I always welcome any new amps, but at some point we need to stops editing and get some music done.. :) Between the AXE and other modelers/profilers and real amps over the years, I've learned that I always gravitate towards 2 or 3 amps types, and always use those, and learned that some big name$$$ amps really don't do much for me.

I don't think there will ever be enough. Hence Cliff's modeling thread stickied to the front of this page. Everyone will have that "one" amp they want to use. Until Cliff captures them all there will always be a need for more.

This is great problem to have, lol.

I think there are more than enough amps in there. I would like to see the focus shift to fx at least for a while. Granular synth, high end verb, reverse multi delay, more drive pedals and maybe some new fx that would be trademarks of the axe.

High end verb? What are you comparing the Axe against? His new verb upgrade is right up there with anything I've heard.

It won't have enough until it receives a Super Reverb. Someone had to say it.

While we're at it, the ability to select 6L6 vs EL34 in amps that allow it.

Short answer: No. There will never be enough amp models! :)

Somewhat longer answer: I think you're right, and many amps could be simulated by deep-tweaking an existing model. But you'd have to know what the sonic differences are between the model you're tweaking and the one you're going for. And you'd have to have some understanding of what the differences in circuitry are, and what parameters would be likely to get you where you want to be, and how they interact. I don't think most Axe-FX users have that knowldege, and I'm sure most of those who do would rather dial up the amp they're shooting for than spend the time doing cut-and-try with the deeper parameters.

And now, the most satisfying answer:
Choose what you need, try what you want and don't sweat the rest.

Seriously.

Back
Top Bottom