What's your string gauge? Manufacturer?

sporkachew

I am currently using D Addario 9-42 and 10-46 gauge strings on all of my electrics. I alternate between the 2. Has any one noticed any significant difference in the sound on The Axe Fx based on the types of strings or gauges that you use. Any feed back is helpful. Thx.

I use 8-38. While I could argue that heavier strings sound different, I develop joint/nerve problems using anything heavier.

I have found that ultra-light strings sound fantastic with the right technique and gear. Perhaps not for acoustic guitar or down-tuned instruments. But history is full of great players with great tone using all manner of string gauges. I use what feels best to me, and adjust my playing and gear to follow suit.

For me, changing pickups made far more difference to tone than string gauge.

Its like with a real amps (or no amp at all indeed), so thinner strings = brighter top, less bass, thicker strings = better balance between treble and bass. I use Ernie Ball 11/48 on most of my guitars (tuned 1/2 step down), 11/54 on guitars tuned 1 step down and 10/46 on a tele in standard tuning. String gauge and pickup height adjustment are often underrated, but to me it's the basic of the core tone you're sending to the chain, whatever that is.

I am currently using D Addario 9-42 and 10-46 gauge strings on all of my electrics. I alternate between the 2. Has any one noticed any significant difference in the sound on The Axe Fx based on the types of strings or gauges that you use. Any feed back is helpful. Thx.

I use exactly these except for a few guitars where I have found through experimentation other brands just work better.

I find string gauge very important as it relates to playing style. Obviously in recorded music, we as guitar players have our favorite records, ones where we love and chase the guitar tone. These are likely recorded on a fairly wide range of strings. So, string gauge is not essential for the guitar tones I love but more important for me, with my style, to get the most out of my performances.

We played an outdoor show Saturday. After that show I'm thinking about going up to 11's. I was playing 9's and couldn't get the high E to play very well when I was sweating. It was hard to deal with the small gauge. The rest of the strings were fine though.

D'Addarios across the board with the following gauges:

9.5s for Teles and Strats tuned Standard
10s for Gibsons and 1 PRS tuned Standard
10.5 for a DGT in Standard

I do have some 11s on a Les Paul tuned a 1/2 step down. Sometimes I restring and retune different guitars because I have one group of guys I play with where we're a half step down and another that's almost all standard. If I put a Tele or Strat a 1/2 step down, I throw 10.5s on them. This gives me the same feel and bending on any guitar I pick up. I prefer that vs. "fighting" on some vs. playing smoother on others.

No doubt string gauge makes a difference in tone. You'll have to decide for yourself how heavy a string your hands can take.

Having said that; If I were to post a recording, I doubt most people could identify my string gauge from it.

BTW, I also use D'Addarios.

I also am suffering from tendinitis in my left arm. I like the sound of the 10's but the 9's are easier to play. I find I do sacrifice sound when playing live with the band I play in who play really loud.

Curt Mangan 9-42 Pure Nickel on most electrics.
Godin 10-46 for LGX-SA (only because it came with 10 sets)
John Pearce 100XL 10-47 Acoustic
Curt Mangan 12-53 Phosphor Bronze Acoustic

Last edited:
Curt Mangan strings typically.. mostly Nickel wound, or Pure Nickle sometimes.. 10's, 11's, 12's depending on the guitar..

I use 10-52s across the board and set up the guitars depending on the tuning for the tension I like. I like the strings to fight back when I play though so take that as you will. D'addario btw

I always use a string calculation program to get same string-tension/balance depending on the tune and scale.
I buy singles (not sets) and from Daddario

Fex)
Scale 24 3/5
E: 009-012-016-026-036-046 Tension: 90.76#
Eb: 010-013-017-028-038-049 Tension 92.93#

Scale 25 ½
Drop C: 011-014-018-028-038-052 Tension:92.38#

.. and so on

Standard 10 set from Ernie ball. No fuss no muss.

Different guitars sound different in an AxeFx so, I would venture to say, so do different strings, pickups, wood etc.

Ernie ball coated or m-steel 10-46 for my JP12
Ernie ball slinky 10-56 for the JP7
Ernie ball one of the three above 10-50ish for my drop D :)
Acidic sweat powered :/

I use Ernie Ball Power Slinkies nickle wound 11-48 on my 25.5" hot rod strat, and my gibson - I like the strings, and can get them at a good price on ebay for 12 pack.

Wouldn't mind trying 11-54's, but I have a feeling they would be too 'boomy'.

Earnie Ball superslinky 9's....
Mostly playing funky stuff.
Back in the days I was playing more hard rock using Roto 10's

GHS Boomer .11-50 tuned down 1/2 step, but I really want a fatter string for drop D, something like a .54 I think would be perfect. The 50 feels good tuned normally but a bit sloppy when dropping it.

Back
Top Bottom