What's your next rig upgrade going to be?

I may be crazy, but I’ve ordered a Gemini 2 and I think I’m going to sell my JP-2C and vertical 2x12 when it arrives. Less gear, simpler rig, and it will still sound great.

The last upgrades I want to do are:

~The new King V of course - check
~One more expression pedal -EV-2
~Another Friedman 4 x 12 to make a full stack
~FC-6

and then I think I'm done. Until the AXE FX 4 comes out of course.

Ordered 48 square feet worth of auralex studiofoam 1' x 1' x 2" wedges to put on the wall directly in front of me. Phase one I suppose.
That’s definitely a good start. Putting them all on one wall will definitely help some, but here’s my typical approach:

As far as covering surfaces with absorption, you want your first priority to be your “first reflection” points. So if you are standing/playing/mixing in a specific position, and you pretend that your walls and ceiling are all covered in mirrors, you want to mark the spots on the wall and ceiling were you would be able to “see” your speakers in the mirror, and cover those spots with the acoustic panels. The more you move around while you play or mix, the greater area you would want to cover around those “first reflection” spots. If you are in a typical room in your house, your first reflection points will be:
1. Behind the speakers, on the wall that you are facing
2. On the ceiling, about halfway between your head and each speaker
3. On the wall to your left and the wall to your right (if you are running stereo speakers, these reflection points will be larger, since they will have a direct reflection from both of the speakers, and those points won’t be in exactly the same spot for each speaker)
4. On the floor between you and the speakers. It’s not always practical to cover this area, but if your speakers are on the floor, you can set the speakers on top of some acoustic panels to help decouple them from the floor.

• Love
Reactions: J-C
I hope to upgrade to the FM3 in the next couple of months. I took a long break from music. We've been working on paying off debt (total money make over) which has been hard on my GAS. I have an axe fx 2 that I use at home. I'm started to play in a band and the FM3 would be perfect for my needs :)

The FM3 is really on the only thing on my list. Maybe another guitar: D'Angelico Deluxe Atlantic - Vintage White.

FM3 and later a xitone. Would like a 2x12 custom but will most likely grab an mbritt (or whatever he’s calling it nowadays). Also going to grab a cheap Ibanez and throw some fluence pups in to see if I want to put them in my LP.

Okay, analog rig update, I have like 3 Marshall tubes right now, an old JCM800 combo, the above mentioned DSL50 and a DSL20. As if last friday all three are now malfunctional in some form. The JCM800 died a couple of months ago when I fired it up after a couple of years of storage. Some warbling noise, then nothing. I was rocking the DSL50 for the 2nd time last friday at rehearsal when suddenly nothing. Since my pedals are in the FX loop and the tuner still gets signals the malfunction has to be in the power amp section. And the DSL20 pops like crazy whenever switching from dirt to the clean channel plus there's a serious volume drop when I engage the FX loop with pedals in it. Also the whammy sound almost disappears when I do the octave up thing. So its now with Marshall to get it fixed.

And here I was thinking that Marshalls were true workhorses, the Fender Strats or Teles of amps, amps that could survive a nuclear war and the rigors of the road. All three breaking down on me. I must be cursed or something. The Marshall curse.

I also bought an 8 pack of Auralex 1' x 1' x 2' corner bass traps and 24 more of the wedges I mentioned previously. I'll have a go at the front wall and front corners, sides, and maybe some above me if there is enough left over. If not I'll get to that later. Some on the wall behind me too, possibly.

Phase 1 is the front and sides.

I think I'm going to pick up a powered Xitone wedge. I started off with a Friedman ASC-10 and was really happy with it until I played through studio monitors. Now I just want that studio monitor sound at stage volume. It sounds like the way to go is either CLR or Xitone, and given the availability and customer service issues with the CLR, Xitone seems like the only remaining option.

That is really surprising. I went the opposite way. Played the CLR, Xitone, Matrix, Powercab+, etc. everything paled in comparison to the ASC-10, that was my end game. That thing is a beast and sounded killer. Good luck with the Xitone.

That is really surprising. I went the opposite way. Played the CLR, Xitone, Matrix, Powercab+, etc. everything paled in comparison to the ASC-10, that was my end game. That thing is a beast and sounded killer. Good luck with the Xitone.

Thanks - I just placed the order yesterday. I'll post a head to head comparison when I get the Xitone in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom