What's your next rig upgrade going to be?

Ordered one of those rubber strip pick holders that attaches to a mic stand. I figure it might be able to be attached to the right handle of the Axe Fx unit. Maybe not an upgrade but a good place to have different picks available within easy reach.

hope it works.

...if that doesn't work I'll hack a piece of bar/rod about 6 inches and screw that just to the side of the desk, to hold the rubber guitar pick holder.

Last edited:
Killer Fender 67' Princeton! Upgraded: power/output trannies, choke / 6L6's / SS rectifier and bias from an old 64' Bassman. Replaced the old 10" with an Eminence 12"
Need to replace a few caps, and tubes (35 years old) It actually worked as is, but degrades due to the old tubes.
The old Fender amps were sitting in my garage for 30 years, deteriorating, and growing fuzz on them.
Went from 18 watts to 40 watts. Dang thing weighs 55 lbs. (hand truck required) I still use my 2-12 (stereo) cab with a SS Class AB power amp, just needed a simpler rig for rehearsals and small venues.
Ran my AX8 into it (-10db OUT). Great tone and plenty of volume to keep up with our very loud band.
I think it's called "The Allen Mod"
No pics, not very pretty. (Maybe considered "Relic'd") If you have heard of "Rat Rods"..well..that's what this little beast is in the amp world.

Just ordered myself a headrush speaker, i use in ears but the band like to hear my guitar on stage. Might make the world of difference sound wise i suppose! Not sure what next....

Got the replacement A7x hooked up. Have a pair of them again, they rock! Waiting on some new isolation pads for them.

Got the replacement A7x hooked up. Have a pair of them again, they rock! Waiting on some new isolation pads for them.
Get your hands on some foam carpet padding. Cut to size. Instant isolation pads. :)

Those Marshall fridges are cool (there’s one in the shop where I work), but let’s face it — only Marshall could get away with selling a $110 appliance for $300. :eek:

Like with every famous brand you pay at least three times as much for that logo alone. ;) Still, how many fridge manufacturers out there do you know who sell guitar stack shaped fridges? If a lot of people here are dropping thousands on expensive boutique brand guitars that they could have had for less, I wouldn't mind dropping some dough on a Marshall shaped fridge. But a real one, not one of those small gimmicks.

Like with every famous brand you pay at least three times as much for that logo alone. ;) Still, how many fridge manufacturers out there do you know who sell guitar stack shaped fridges? If a lot of people here are dropping thousands on expensive boutique brand guitars that they could have had for less, I wouldn't mind dropping some dough on a Marshall shaped fridge. But a real one, not one of those small gimmicks.

Back in my misspent younger years, I always thought having a set of Anvil road case living room furniture would be cool. These days, I doubt my wife would be down with that idea, lol.

Coming tomorrow, a Shure QLXD receiver, beta 58, and body pack.
I'll move my headset mic from Shure SLX4 to the QLXD and move guitar from 2.4ghz wireless to the SLX4 because 2.4 isn't very reliable in high RF enviro. Beta 58 will be backup for the headset and a speech mic for CEOs at corporate gigs. Drunks at bars begging to sing still get the $50 wired mic.

My next upgrade is a fairy dust unicorn dream: 2-space Axe-Fx III
73FB6E52-4CA8-478E-AD42-9D9DA72692BD.jpeg

FC-6 and FC-12 are very nice upgrades. FM3 will be a great upgrade for AX8 owners.
Personally, during 2020, I hope to get an Anderson Raven.

Andersons are sweet. I'm selling my Anderson bull dog soon. I'll use the Jackson V's box to ship it in. I bought it right after they were discontinued . It was the only one I could find. I don't care for the low frets on it. I much prefer jumbo. I should get at least two grand for it I would think. It's in mint condition. I'm definitely keeping my Anderson Pro Am though.

With the money I'll buy my mom something nice, get an FC-6 and a Friedman 4 x 12 cabinet.

Edit: Nah, I'll keep the bulldog. I'm not selling any more guitars. I always wind up missing them.

Last edited:
While it is techically a thing I already own, the PRS SE Standard 24 got its first mod: coil split pull pot replaced with a regular pot and series/parallel switches for each pickup:
20191229_230516.jpg

20191229_230554.jpg

The 85/15 pickups sounded good with the coils split, so I figured they would also sound good with the coils in parallel as well, and they do. It gets down into almost Tele territory, actually. Not quite as crisp as split, but close, and no hum....

I checked the switch slot and screw holes against an Oak-Grigsby switch and was happy to find that the inexpensive enclosed switch had the same dimensions, so I foresee a 5-way super switch in the future.... ;)

Reactions: J-C
The Jackson King V arrived today but it has a sticker that says not to open the box for 24 hours so the guitar is allowed to acclimate. This is hard. I can open it at noon. Better safe than sorry.

Maybe a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 and a Lehle Switcher.

I plan the following setup:
Tube amp one ->Two Notes Torpedo live -> switcher -> powerstage
Tube amp two -> Two Notes Captor -> switcher -> powerstage
And most important my Axe FX III -> switcher -> powerstage

Got this stuff and it's awesome! Perfect!

I'm thinking about getting the FC6, or FM3 ...
In case of the FM3 I would use it as a midi controller for the Axe FX3 and I would also have a standalone device for rehearsals. I'm currently using the HX Stomp, but ... it ain't no fractal.

I now have my sights on another Jackson V ~ a Jackson USA King V KV2

The Pro Series Jackson V I recently got is sweet, and fits me perfectly. I love this body shape. The one I plan on getting has a Floyd Rose - so there's that.

Last edited:
My rig upgrade is a new rig.IMG_20200110_220052.jpgIMG_20200110_220040.jpg

I've been using my Axe II in my Audioslave tribute band, and it sounded perfectly fine, and also a lot less tap dancing, but I felt if you're going to go the whole mile you have to tapdance and tweak pedals like Tom Morello does. Had the pedals already so it was no biggie, I only had to get a Marshall head. With a serial FX loop. Tom uses a JCM800 2205, all the pedals in the FX loop, so it had to a serial loop. The reissue JCM800 are all based on the 2203 and 2204, no FX loops, not enough gain with a booster in front. Getting a vintage 2205 was pricey and none were available, so I went looking for a JCM2000 instead. Tried a TSL60, and to my horror found out its FX loop was parallel only. WTF Marshall???? Luckily a DSL50 became available for €500, and very close by as well. And now I have to tapdance again. Only plus point this rig has over the Axe FX is that its a lot easier to do the Bulls on Parade scratching solo. It never sounded quite right on the Axe, maybe some wah parameter that needs tweaking, while it goes easy with this rig.

Last edited:
Reactions: J-C
I ordered a snow white USA King V, but there is a ten month lead time. It will be worth the wait! I could buy a black one right now but I want a white one - so, special order ~ $2,999

king of the usa.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom