What's Your Maximum "Output Block" Level .... where do you Max. Out ?

ben ifin

Experienced
Hi all !

As per the "Output Block" Meter [below] .... where does your absolute hottest / "loudest" pre-set sit at (?) is never above 0db / never any Red "optimal" (?)

Am curious.

Thanks,
Ben

1714826682544.png

Last edited:
Just hitting red.

"Loud" inside Axfx is
not a consideration for me, but "level" is - with fx off, I set amp block output level so that output is just hitting red on the output meters shown in the levelling tool or output block. For fx blocks that might add or reduce volume, I compensate with the fx block's output level to keep overall volume
consistent (or as desired). Same for all my presets / scenes / fx combinations. "Loud" is a consideration for my external monitoring amplification settings in coordination with Axfx physical output knob.

Just hitting red.

"Loud" inside Axfx is
not a consideration for me, but "level" is - with fx off, I set amp block output level so that output is just hitting red on the output meters shown in the levelling tool or output block. For fx blocks that might add or reduce volume, I compensate with the fx block's output level to keep overall volume
consistent (or as desired). Same for all my presets / scenes / fx combinations. "Loud" is a consideration for my external monitoring amplification settings in coordination with Axfx physical output knob.

OP adjusted ..... "absolute hottest" pre-set Output Block Level max you max-out-at (?) 0db / no Red (?)

Ben

I used to get into trouble with cleans a lot which are very dynamic and would clip if I levelled things using non-clean sounds in a preset that also had a clean tone option - if I get my clean scene just hitting red on medium strums then the distorted sounds can go a little futher to sound "even" when going back and forth from clean to distorted (depends to some extent on how you play). I want the final levelled preset modes to be as strong as possible on output, but with headroom set aside for:
  • any type of volume boost that might be used.
  • accomodating the input tolerance of my spdif'd audio interface (or any other downstream device).
  • accomodating the odd slammed strums.
  • Accommodate palm mutes that can "boom" the signal.
  • incorporating a minimally sized saferty zone buffer which finally eliminates the possiblity of output clipping.
Hitting around the beginning of the red zone usually gets everything in the ball park (as Fractal anticipated I guess, when they designed those meters).

Last edited:
Rythm tones near 0db and I bump 2.5db in the scene level for lead tones.
That’s pretty much what I do, except that I give things a final tweak based on what I hear during practice/rehearsal/gig. Every tone and situation is different and deserves its own attention.

0 dB on that meter equals -12 dBFS in digital output, so there's plenty of headroom left at 0 dB. A few dB over won't hurt anything.

So am I right in assuming (?) this ^^ means that 0db on the Output Meter Block = 0 db output on the Analog XLR Outs (?)

Thanks,
Ben

Just hitting red.

"Loud" inside Axfx is

More or less the same here. Just touching the red - around +2dB or so max. I adjust 'em all so the leads hit that, and back off a bit for rhythm. Every preset has a dedicated volume pedal controller with a volpan block directly after the amp(s) and cab(s)....

So am I right in assuming (?) this ^^ means that 0db on the Output Meter Block = 0 db output on the Analog XLR Outs (?)

Thanks,
Ben

Not quite. The analog output level depends on both the setting of the Output level in the I/O menu (+4 dBu or -10 dBV) and the setting of the corresponding front panel Out knob.

Back
Top Bottom