whats your "Go-To" IR for FOH hard rock tones?

stm113

Power User
I'm running my AxeII out 1 to FOH & out2 to my Head & 4x12 cab. I have recently added the direct to FOH to my set up. I have been dialing in my presets this week using my bands FOH tops and I have gotten some good sounds but I think where I am going wrong is I have been trying to match my "in room" amp sound through the PA instead of trying to get a good mic'd sound. I ended up using 2 IR's but the sound is too... something, I'd say compressed but not in a compressor sense, so maybe focused is the right term. I have also noticed when I don't run the Cab as Mono HiRes the tone seems to loose some depth & dimension.

So my question is; what 1 IR would anyone recommend for good Hard Rock tones. I want something with a good, not flabby but not thin bottom, and smooth mid and some good high end bite.

Thanks for any suggestions

that Producer pack Basketweave TV cab is pretty killer with all of my marshall type patches.
For Mesa pathces I use OH "purchased" IRs and I mix them with the Petrucci cab or the stock OH cab.
the German cab IR's are pretty good too for a more modern sound

that Producer pack Basketweave TV cab is pretty killer with all of my marshall type patches.
For Mesa pathces I use OH "purchased" IRs and I mix them with the Petrucci cab or the stock OH cab.
the German cab IR's are pretty good too for a more modern sound
How much different is the producer TV from the one in V10

I'll try it tomorrow night, I remember digging that basketweave ax (?) Cab. I am hoping that they release more IR's int eh online store like the pack they just did but with more 4x12 selections. Like a mix other than petrucci mix of a Recto cab or any cab w/V30's

GuitarHack "ThisOne", available on Axe Change

Thanks Fremen. I converted this one for my axe standard and added the 121 mic on the axe which made it pop. Awesome paired with a lot of amps, but blew my mind with the Marsha BE and HBE. You have any other cabs you recommend?

Thanks Fremen. I converted this one for my axe standard and added the 121 mic on the axe which made it pop. Awesome paired with a lot of amps, but blew my mind with the Marsha BE and HBE. You have any other cabs you recommend?
Yes, but commercial ones : The Messiah 1 (critical cabs) and Ownhammers V2 IRs. But I've yet to find a better IR for my needs than ThisOne

For hard rock, I'm really liking the new Basketweave TV and AX cabs. Sometimes I'll mix one or the other with the H75 (gives a little more of an 80s metal tone). I also like the H75 mixed with the G12T75 for 80s metal/shred.

The basketweave 25 and the G12M cabs are great too.

For a thick, warm tone I like mixing the Basketweave 25 with the G12L.

I did a 80's rock/metal gig recently. The TV Basketweave cab sounds great at low volumes but at gig volume I found it a little shrill and hard to tame the top end. The AX Basketweave sounds a little anemic at low volumes but is a great cab loud for a ts808 pushed/compressed 80's amp sound. I ended up using that 80's Cali cab pretty much all night, at volume it's got a very round top end that is very pleasing and non fatiguing even when running an open sounding bright amp. Focused is a good way to describe it, but for the sounds I was using a focused sound is more about eq-ing, getting the low cut on the cab, hi and low cut on the delays and playing with the lower mids in the amp block eq.

I also like "ThisOne", it's round and pleasing.

Actually I use the 4x12 german in stereo with the 4x12 citrus. Play around with the mics to get the sound you want just avoid the e609. That thing makes dirty tones sound like ballsack.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom