What's your favorite axe fx amp and cab combo

ChrisCG

Experienced
What's your favorite amp and cab combo and why? As well as any tricks you might have to make it sound good.

I'll start I have only had my XL now since 10/31 and I'm no expert but I must say I'm really loving the afd slash model. I like classic GnR but would not call myself a big fan. Having said that I love how smooth that amp is. I'm using it with the tv mix 4 x 12 IR. Little reverb and delay. Sounds great to me. Close second would be the 5150 III blue. Only trick I'm really using is the 5 band passive eq after the cab block.

Any Mesa amp with stereo cabs Petrucci Mix + 4x12 Cali = instant great tone..
Each cab 20~25% for each side..
EQs to taste =P

Dirty Shirley with the TV mix...Bright on and open up the presence a good bit with HB's, less so with singles.

DC30 with the own hammer 1x12 silver mix. just freaking fantastic tone for everything from country to brit pop and throw an od in it covers southern rock to classic rock to 90's stuff like matchbox and third eye blind.

I've been a big fan of the Recto2 Red Mdrn since day one with the T808 Mod infront. I'm using a 50/50 blend of the 4x12 German V30 (RW) and the Ownhammer HGE English v30 cab (can't remember which one).

Even the stock settings sound good, just needs minimal tweaking to get the bottom end under control.

For high gain: TS808 MOD (only for tightening and pushing) + PEQ (low cut, middle boost) + Angel Severe 1 + 062) 4x12 V30

I use other amps too with similar preset setup but this one is my newest discovery. This IR I found to suit me well with all high gain amps and even with Brit Super (same setup, except for PEQ) I get a great rock tone. Some other IRs that I occasionally use might be 055) 4x12 SLM Blue (OH) cause it's cleaner and brighter than most stock ones. To spice it up, sometimes even 046) 4x12 Solo S12X (RW). For funk, I think 103) 4x12 Basketweave TV Mix (not the UR one) Generally there are not many stock IRs that I found to like. But I'm still not buying any. I'm a bedroom player family guy after all with not much spare time.

Trip Tik Modern into a stereo Ubercab (the IR that is the blend of the t75/v30) Although the cab is stereo I pan it center and use a r121 mic sim on one side and either an sm57 or of e409 (might be e609 which ever is in the axe) sim on the other side. This cab/mic set up is my #1 cab set up

Currently it's a twin reverb with the TAF Fender mix-room cab. Lots of clean guitar in the upcoming Christmas set list.

Great conversation but may help a lot to see a screen shot of the workflow? I know for me a visual is always best!!!

Cheers!!

No screenshots available here at the office, but a little compression, TS, and some reverb on the end take it to where I want it.
For the amp block itself, I have to tighten up the IR low resonance considerably, centered around 95-115hz depending on my mood. KT88's, German tonestack, low-cut, authentic saturation, boost mids on the main tab, slightly scoop them with the passive GEQ, a touch of output compression sometimes (in place of the comp block mentioned before, rarely together).
Cab blocks are both OH_HGE's, one's a Mesa (sm57 mic model in cab block) the other's a Diezel (usually 'null,' but varies), both panned up the middle and split via the enhancer block in modern mode with H/L pass around 80 & 4900hz respectively.

I'm pretty damn close to this (plus effects I like), which was my goal from the start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMIReP7-zaE

I'm using the Plexi 50 high through that recent 4x12 freebie Cliff released. Almost exclusively. Sometimes the Trainwreck through the TAF 1x12 Marshall. Also like that Plexi through a mix of own hammer iRs - scum h75 and v30 or scum m75 and v30, or both scumbacks. Depends on my mood.

This week I have really connected with the IIC+ Bright and the 4x12 German Boutique. No idea how I arrived at that... but it is giving me a solid working tone that I'm using as a base for building a number of cover band presets for. I'm using it much like a real amp right now... a pretty basic 1 row signal chain and I use the guitars volume pot to control my gain. I am covering a lot of ground with this setup for an 80's cover band. (not hair... but like 80's mod/alt rock -ala Oingo Boingo/ Billy Idol/ Duran Duran etc.)

I have other combo's I like a lot too... and the FAS Lead 1 is a go to amp for me. I like the TV mix cab (who doesn't love that cab, and a few other Marshall 4x12's. Usually like Greenbacks... and I still use Clark Kent's gift IR a lot too. That one has some mojo in it.

I am in love with the Das Metall (VH4) preset. Only did a little fine-tuning and it's just awesome.

Posted with TapTalk for iPhone, please forgive the spelling errors.

Matchless DC30 and the two IRs put out by the guys that did the german AXEFest last year (or was it this year??). I think they are called BBAC and BBhalf, or something like that. Add the 5 band passive eq to boost mids after the cab. But tonight I was noodling with the Mr Z MZ38 factory pre, which is quite nice.

Pvh 6160II with OH engl ch8 el34 . I really miss dizzy vh4 silver : ( I know they did an awesome job with the firmware but its just not6 the same with out it. "Hint, Hint, Hint" :eagerness:

Back
Top Bottom