What's with the RDP thing on the BlaclkStar amps? Should we have it?

BillyZeppa

Power User
Hey. Happy Tuesday, guys.

Does this circuit really do anything? Does it help? Should we add this amp to the AFX arsenal? I realize we already have a perfect way to avoid the scenarios that the feature was desinged for, so i'm just wondering if it actually changes the tone in any way for those who have tried it, or for those who understand the tonal consequences of lower voltage on the power supply - i would guess the input level to the power supply would have to be adjusted along with the rail voltage.

From their website:

Question: What is "PDR"?

Answer:
It is well known that valve amplifiers sound best when they are turned up loud. This is because at higher volume levels the output valves introduce musical distortion and compression which are a vital part of the valve amplifier experience. Blckstar's patented PDR feature controls the output power level by dynamically adjusting the output stage voltages, allowing power valve distortion and compression at any volume level.

Benefits of the PDR control:

1. PDR allows continuously variable power reduction, down to 10%, so you can use your valve amp in any playing situation.
2. PDR is a ‘dynamic’ circuit, delivering the exact compression (a.k.a. sag) of a small overdriven valve amp, at any volume level.
3. Unlike power attenuators, PDR places nothing between the output of the amplifier and the loudspeaker and hence as the power is reduced the feel, tone and reliability of the amplifier is maintained.
4. PDR’s dynamic power reduction is only available on Blckstar products.

Last edited:
We basically have this, just in better form.
Damn you! I wanted to be the first to say it! :)

DPR (Dynamic Power Reduction) is a way to get power-amp distortion at lower volumes. We already have that: just turn down the Output Level knob. ;)

And PDR is "personal development review" - a business process where managers get together regularly with staff individually to plan their future training and development, both knowing full well that nothing is actually going to happen :)

Back
Top Bottom