What's up with damp?

fuzznut

So I turned up presence all the way, and was playing with the damp parameter to see what effect it had on the presence range. I put damp to zero and... woah! It got louder, very bright and RAW. Cool tone! It is not mentioned in the manual or wiki manual, but searching here revealed that putting damp to zero completely disconnects the feedback loop in the power amp. What I didn't find is, since presence and depth work off the feedback loop, are these controls now shelving filters as when the power amp is disabled?

Having fun with this one! 2 Das Metal amps in parallel. #1 with bass, depth and damp off (bass is flubby with no feedback). #2 normal, initially with mids and high/presence off, adjust output level until bass sounds right in the mix. Then adjust mids & highs on both amps for various mixes. Tight bass, hairy mids and loose highs! Gotta love this black box...

The presence becomes an active shelving filter. I forget what happens with depth. Probably the same thing or nothing at all.

Back
Top Bottom