What's the ugliest piece of gear you've ever seen/owned?

1986 Ibanez RG440, originally red. Duncan pickups and blinking leds to tell you which pickups are in use (totally useful). "Monkey grip" created with a doorknob bit for a drill, because I lacked routing skills. Curvy headstock sawed off to look more "Jackson" like. Topped off with "hotter than pink" paint. This was all done on purpose in 1989. Deliberately. Not. An. Accident.
RG440.gif

Also - Any Fender acoustic with a strat headstock is absolutely hideous. 🤢🤢🤮🤮

I don't think you could pay me to play one of those and I wouldn't accept one if it was given to me no matter how 'high end' it is..

1986 Ibanez RG440, originally red. Duncan pickups and blinking leds to tell you which pickups are in use (totally useful). "Monkey grip" created with a doorknob bit for a drill, because I lacked routing skills. Curvy headstock sawed off to look more "Jackson" like. Topped off with "hotter than pink" paint. This was all done on purpose in 1989. Deliberately. Not. An. Accident.
View attachment 95841

That reminds me of my own custom guitar born out of youthful ignorance…

This was my first electric. I drew the stupid shape in class during high school. Thought it was the coolest thing ever. I built the guitar body out of a piece of Lexan plastic that had started life as the "bullet proof glass" that they us for bank teller lines (my uncle did bank construction/remodeling). I got the Ibanez neck off eBay. These days the guitar sits on a wall hanger behind my cloths in my closet. I don't have the heart to get rid of it, but I don't wanna see the thing either.

6C6A522A-9132-4504-BE5D-BFEAAE3D824F.jpeg15F4602C-5183-42A5-832C-7EEFDCA80FDD.jpeg

These days the guitar sits on a wall hanger behind my cloths in my closet. I don't have the heart to get rid of it, but I don't wanna see the thing either.
Ha - I keep mine on the wall near my desk. It sat in its case for about 15 years, but eventually I just had to display it.

Apart from that Tyler headstock, I actually like the aesthetic of what a lot of you are calling ugly. ¯\(ツ)

I'd be more specific if I where you. There's some awful stuff in this thread. :laughing:

Ha - I keep mine on the wall near my desk. It sat in its case for about 15 years, but eventually I just had to display it.

lol. I guess I haven't reached the acceptance stage yet.

That reminds me of my own custom guitar born out of youthful ignorance…

This was my first electric. I drew the stupid shape in class during high school. Thought it was the coolest thing ever. I built the guitar body out of a piece of Lexan plastic that had started life as the "bullet proof glass" that they us for bank teller lines (my uncle did bank construction/remodeling). I got the Ibanez neck off eBay. These days the guitar sits on a wall hanger behind my cloths in my closet. I don't have the heart to get rid of it, but I don't wanna see the thing either.

View attachment 95990View attachment 95991
Bet there's a market...

Not the most offensive thing here, but my bandmates always called my Boss GX700 the Cheesebox.

261531-SH-205-2544%20(2).JPG

Even once I got into a 4cm rig with that thing, there was one preset on it called 'Windows' that had an amp/cab sim I really liked. I've snuck that preset into recordings more times than I'd care to admit, or that anyone will ever know.

edit: in hindsight, that thing actually was a pretty decent precursor to the Fractal world, the way it was laid out.
It still can't be beat for custom Harmony scales. Multiple scales per preset instead of global. You play the note you want to harmonize to, then play the note you want as the harmony for that note. Brilliant user interface design. IMO, far easier to program than the Fractal, and far more total user scales available.

Ahhhhh, I had an SGX-2000 and the X-15 floor controller (still have it too) and always thought they looked like they were in an explosion in a paint factory.

I have to say the X-15 was one of the better, more feature rich MIDI controllers of it's day though.

I was able to have my Rocktron processors' update the FX status on the X-15 in 'Effects Mode' (which was a big deal to be actually able to do at the time) and found the continuous controller pedals worked very well. All of that stuff is trivial to do these days, but, back then, that kind of 'deep' MIDI operation wasn't that common.

I used the X-15 for years; it was my main MIDI controller throughout most of the 90's/2000's when I was into my 'rack phase'. I controlled a Digitech Twin-Tube, Marshall JMP-1, Rocktron Piranha, Rocktron Replifex, Rocktron Intellifex, Yamaha DG-1000, and a couple of more racks with it. Not a pretty unit, but very reliable and it had huge overall utility.

Back
Top Bottom