What's the ugliest piece of gear you've ever seen/owned?

the Gibson bottle opener....I still would like to own one. I mean, I don't want to pay for it, but I'd really like to own one.

Post #29

Also....I really want to know the story behind this...or maybe I don't.

$_57.JPG
No way ... :eek:

Not the most offensive thing here, but my bandmates always called my Boss GX700 the Cheesebox.

261531-SH-205-2544%20(2).JPG

Even once I got into a 4cm rig with that thing, there was one preset on it called 'Windows' that had an amp/cab sim I really liked. I've snuck that preset into recordings more times than I'd care to admit, or that anyone will ever know.

edit: in hindsight, that thing actually was a pretty decent precursor to the Fractal world, the way it was laid out.

Yup. My former mentor / open-mic host owned a couple of these Tylers, one black, the other cosmic vomit finish. Although the guy was a true friend in every sense, I couldn't quite get used to his preference for guitars.
The Gibson Moderne! A guitar teacher I took a couple lessons from showed me an example of his, asked me how much I thought it was worth. I had no clue and, TBH, the headstock just didn't do it for me. The body shape I could get used to, but not the headstock.
My first pro-quality guitar:
View attachment 95687
An Ovation from the 70's/80's! Do you think Klein adapted their design from this? The Ovation factory used to be about 15 minutes from us, then they moved northwest into the boonies in Connecticut. That's a pretty rad piece of history there. Am guessing that the tone doesn't do much for the guitar...

I'm an Ibanez guy and I think much of the new burl tops look like zombie faces with acne issues.
They must have bought a lot of burl really cheap. I have a AZ with a burl top, and while I love it to death (the guitar, not the top) I wish it had a flame top.

Surprised no one has mentioned .strandberg. I owned an OS7 and had a real love/hate relationship with it in terms of its aesthetics.

Though I should be 'used to it by now,' headless guitars still give me an initial cringe no matter how good it actually is.

Not the most offensive thing here, but my bandmates always called my Boss GX700 the Cheesebox.

261531-SH-205-2544%20(2).JPG

Even once I got into a 4cm rig with that thing, there was one preset on it called 'Windows' that had an amp/cab sim I really liked. I've snuck that preset into recordings more times than I'd care to admit, or that anyone will ever know.

edit: in hindsight, that thing actually was a pretty decent precursor to the Fractal world, the way it was laid out.
I wonder if that would match a JMP-1.

...An Ovation from the 70's/80's! Do you think Klein adapted their design from this? The Ovation factory used to be about 15 minutes from us, then they moved northwest into the boonies in Connecticut. That's a pretty rad piece of history there. Am guessing that the tone doesn't do much for the guitar...
It was marketed as being able to sound like either a Gibson or a Fender. They even had a chart that showed where to set the switches and knobs to get those results. Since I hadn't played either Gibsons or Fenders at that stage of my life (high school kid), I didn't know better. Once I got a real Gibson (the '68 Les Paul Custom I got my senior year), I realized how un-ballsy the active Ovation pickups and circuit sounded. It played like a dream, though. A few years later I owned an Ovation Deacon for a minute, too.

Back
Top Bottom