What's the smoothest way to switch amps in a preset?

Looking to set up four amp sounds in one patch, what's the best way to get this done? Was thinking an expression pedal to move from AMP 1 and AMP 2, and two switches on the MFC for AMP X/Y.

The smoothest way to switch amps is to crossfade them.

The least complicated way to switch four amps in a single preset is with four grouped stomp switches: one for each amp. Each switch will have to send one PC and one CC message.

Starting with firmware 9, you can set up scenes that call up each of your amps.

If you want four amps in one preset, you need two amp blocks with X/Y.

Looking to set up four amp sounds in one patch, what's the best way to get this done? Was thinking an expression pedal to move from AMP 1 and AMP 2, and two switches on the MFC for AMP X/Y.

Check out this thread. Posted by Clarky to document his exploration into patch creation. He does exactly what you are trying to do. Switches between 4 tones using one expression pedal, and 2 switches.COMPLETELY SEAMLESS TRANSITIONS!! Absolutely amazing! It will change the way you think of building patches, and really demonstrates the power this unit really has. You can tell I'm a fan, lol.

He uses modifiers to make multiple changes with just the sweep of the pedal and 1 or 2 switches to get it all done. Able to play entire song/songs, including solo without dancing or having to change presets. No X/Y switching involved so no latency issues.

Post 432 in that thread has his patches to download and try and he posts various clips along the way. It's a looooong thread, but the method he develops is very different than the way most people make presets and extremely informative, you'll learn a ton! Once you know his method you can use his stuff as a template to do whatever you want.
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-preset-exchange/50243-axe2-preset-building.html

If you want four amps in one preset, you need two amp blocks with X/Y.

That's what I do in my main preset.

I can control these by using dedicated X/Y and Amp1/Amp2 IAs ("flexible" method), or use scenes through PC Mapping ("pre-programmed" method).

That's what I do in my main preset.

I can control these by using dedicated X/Y and Amp1/Amp2 IAs ("flexible" method), or use scenes through PC Mapping ("pre-programmed" method).
Which method do you find yourself prefering?

I use both, Rex. :)

Always have programmed my MIDI controllers that way. Fixed presets plus the ability to change things on the fly. Combining ease of use with flexibility. Don't want to give up my IAs, even when using scenes.

I'm not changing amp types within the current preset very often, but do want the ability to do so. So I've hidden those IAs (AMP1 and AMP) under Reveal.

the smoothest / simplest way to switch between two amps is within the same preset is by using the amp bypass

- set to mute in both amp blocks
- modifier in both amps assigned to the same IA or XS
- the modifiers in each amp have opposite min / max settings or the same min / max setting with the curve in opposite directions

so...
XS / IA = off, amp1 is un-muted / amp2 is muted

XS / IA = on, amp1 is muted / amp2 is un-muted

the switch-over is seamless, no audio dropout, all ambient fx tails are uneffected

@ Clarky - Thanks for the summary, I started digging in to your post and haven't wrapped my brain around half of it yet. What does XS mean though? Expression pedal? Are you using two MFC buttons and one Expression for this?

XS = external switch in MFC-101 'speak'
IA = instant access in general MIDI and MFC-101 'speak'

these are both switches that can be configured to send MIDI commands that can switch things on and off / set fx parameter values etc

the difference between an XS and an IA is physical but logically they are essentially the same thing..
the IA is a switch that resides on the MFC-101 [or other floor controller]
the XS is a switch that is external [and therefore connected to the controller via a stereo 1/4" jack cable]

I personally prefer the XS to the IA for performance reasons

I prefer to have my heel on the ground when hitting the switch to select my soloing tone

the MFC IA's can only exist on the front row of switches if all switches are IA's
I'd rather not have to use the up/down to scroll through the presets between songs...

so the MFC is set to 10 preset and the remainder IA
this places the IA switches in the 3rd row of switches...

I mostly play music outside of 4/4 [7/8, 17/8, 13/16 etc] that is quite demanding
in the bar preceding the tone change I like to float the ball of my foot over the switch with my heel on the ground
stepping over two rows of switches / being stood on one leg, whilst concentrating that hard really don't appeal to me..
using an XS [in my case an FS-6] solves this prob for me..
the FS-6 is low to the ground, the switches are a big target and the switching action is nice and easy
for me personally, all this works perfectly

Understood. Thanks.

I too prefer to have my most-often-used switches up front: first come scenes or my own "magic" switches. Next come presets, and furthest up would be IAs, tuner, etc.

Just starting week two with the Axe rig. This stuff here is mind-blowing and overwhelming. The power in this set up is unreal. Don't think I need to go this far with the programming, but using an expression pedal to blow into a lead mode of a given amp preset or to add a second amp is interesting to the mix is interesting.

Steve

if you intend to mess with this control stuff and it's your first time..
try something simple.. just switching something on/off via an XP or IA

once you get the hang of the process of how to set things up, you can easily grow the level of complexity little by little..

when developing complex presets you never try to nail everything in a single pass...
you add feature.. test it.. add another .. and so on

- modifier in both amps assigned to the same IA or XS
- the modifiers in each amp have opposite min / max settings or the same min / max setting with the curve in opposite directions

Are modifiers something that you set on the MFC, or on the AXE? When I pull it up in the control menu it just says NOT USED and can't find where to assign it to the Amp1 or 2 CC.

You set modifiers on the Axe. Read the Modifiers section in the manual. 4 pages of chewy goodness that will clear things up for you.

Argh.. after a while I got it. Realized that the problem was in my grid. I had the amps in the same row, not different! Seamless switching between Amp 1 & 2!

Now to figure out the best way to flip between all four sounds... maybe I'll just wait until scenes.

Back
Top Bottom