What's the best guitar synth unit?

I use a Roland GI-20 with a Roland XV5080 I just need to set up my pickup again. I really would like to have a guitar with a built in midi pickup though.

I had a Yamaha G50 and VL70m tone generator which I bought new in 1997/1998 - great stuff, slightly better than Roland but not as good as the Axon stuff. The Axon was far superior to most other converters. Back in time, these units were produced by german manufacturer "Blue Chip" before bought by Terratec in 2004. The VL70m was one heck of a soundmodule - monophonic but really great - if you have the chance to buy one at ebay - do it! :)

Fishman Triple Play works great. Older Roland stuff like GR33 has a level of synthesis Roland was using in maybe 95. VIs on computer are WAY better. If you want to use hardware, IConnectmidi will convert USB to wired midi. My Ipad has better sounds than GR33 and Fishman plugs right into it.

Want don't you send that baby to me and Ill borrow it for awhile, I would love to have something like that to experiment with. I guess Ill have to stick with my GK3 pickup for now, I would be jamming that guitar through my XS8 Motif! I bet you love that thing.

very cool! reminds me of the synthaxe. Also very expensive like a synthaxe. Does it feel like a guitar at all?
This Kitara is also very nice. The guitar synth from a new era:
Misa Digital Kitara Demo - YouTube

You can play it like a guitar. There is a neck that is scaled more like a guitar. However, the two-hand tapping technique is much better for this instrument. You can tap multiple notes on the same string/plane. With tuning in fifths or octaves you can get amazingly tight chords/voicings. It's a killer midi controller for a guitarist. Absolutely no glitching and lightening fast.

Here's a video one of the better ztar players, Michael Bianco. (I'm no where near this good).

Another good video. I play the thing through a Motif Rack ES.

It was no were near this expensive when I bought mine ($1600).

Last edited:
Well, you can still use it with any Midi interface. I.e. it works stand alone w/o problem. You just can't use the USB port with anything above 10.6.8.

That's what I'm saying. I'm on 10.7.5. This means its dead for it anyone else who uses a Mac OS even one back.

That's what I'm saying. I'm on 10.7.5. This means its dead for it anyone else who uses a Mac OS even one back.

You can still use it with say a Midisport 2x2 or any other Midi Interface you have lying around. You don't need to start the USB Editor or use the USB Midi to retrieve MIDI messages from the AX-50. Just hook the AX-50 Midi out to any USB Midi Interface's Midi IN, and you'll be rocking away.

Untitled-1_zps3866bce8.jpg

Last edited:
Fishman Triple Play works great. Older Roland stuff like GR33 has a level of synthesis Roland was using in maybe 95. VIs on computer are WAY better. If you want to use hardware, IConnectmidi will convert USB to wired midi. My Ipad has better sounds than GR33 and Fishman plugs right into it.

What VIs are you using for the iPad? I'm thinking of getting a Triple Play, but I had a laptop in mind. iPad would be a more portable solution.

This looks more promising than the Triple Play, I think: (can work with hardware stuff)

AirPower Wireless MIDI

Looks like they beat Fishman to the punch, and even to price point. For fuck's sake, why even bother with other hardware? Wireless - PC - music.

Looks like a freaking Uzi...

More like something I saw in 80s anime.

Seems the keytar has more real-time velocity options than the Starr Labs. Some bad ASS players out there.

Dont let me get started.
(2)GR300 (modified to 13 pin) one as a spare, GR1, GR33, VG88, VG99, still all in use.
13 pin pain in the ass, split into a 4 out, retired the old 88
Secret, best setup and familiar guitar with a Roland Hex dialed in. And know your limits.
I have 3 custom internal GK's and 4 or 5 externals. Not any difference except the wart.
I actually prefer externals,, easier to fix when i pound em.
I own RMC and Godin also.

Over played guitar synth is pretty lame for mere mortals.
Dont overuse them..
For Metheny only a real 300 will ever do (really!)
Pro's are succinct and precise. Morse, Metheny, Fripp, Belew.. da da da
Blend!
I welcome the wireless, but... I hope fishman can push roland... into greatness\
Midi translation, slow, I have needed direct 13 pin to unit to get love.

Cant wait for the acoustic wireless thing.. wireless. and ? Detuning
Midi, hmmm

Dudes this it has moved so quick, I still have an old computer with Cakewalk 4.0 DOS that still boots after a slap on the top.
My GR1 still boots, used for a bass player geddy lee rig for a while... Not selling it lol
So much gear so little time,,,, and money
Find a old working GR33, new roland hex and have fun.
Still the best bang for the buck for piano, horn and synths
None of my Roland stuff has ever failed. Well the 300's take a bit to warm up in cold weather

Ok started stopping..

Last edited:
This looks more promising than the Triple Play, I think: (can work with hardware stuff)

AirPower Wireless MIDI

This is nothing like the TP,with the AP you still need a controller,The TP far exceeds the AP as it comes with a pickup/wireless transmitter, usb dongle reciever.The tracking on the TP is the best in the midi guitar world using your own REAL guitar not some cheap way over priced plastic toy offer by starr labs.

What VIs are you using for the iPad? I'm thinking of getting a Triple Play, but I had a laptop in mind. iPad would be a more portable solution.

Magellan is great. Imini. Wavemapper. Animoog. Alchemy. Bs16-I is good for sound fonts. Nave is new from Waldorf...very cool. If you're getting Ipad, check IConnectmidi.com. They have a couple of new devices coming out which are midi interfaces that can have multiple controllers (like Ipad and laptop) AND will pass audio between controllers. Looks to be the devices that will blow the door open in terms of integrating Ipad into studio and stage workflow.

3 words....

Fishman Triple Play.

A non intrusive midi pickup that works wirelessly to a USB dongle that triggers synths/samples/whatever you like.

do you (or other Triple Play users) control your Triple Play from your MCF-101 midi board? Or do you have a separate board for Axe Fx and Triple play? And is it possible (and practical) to control both from the same board?

Magellan is great. Imini. Wavemapper. Animoog. Alchemy. Bs16-I is good for sound fonts. Nave is new from Waldorf...very cool. If you're getting Ipad, check IConnectmidi.com. They have a couple of new devices coming out which are midi interfaces that can have multiple controllers (like Ipad and laptop) AND will pass audio between controllers. Looks to be the devices that will blow the door open in terms of integrating Ipad into studio and stage workflow.

Cool, thanks. Do any of these apps exist for iPhone?

This is nothing like the TP,with the AP you still need a controller,The TP far exceeds the AP as it comes with a pickup/wireless transmitter, usb dongle reciever.The tracking on the TP is the best in the midi guitar world using your own REAL guitar not some cheap way over priced plastic toy offer by starr labs.

And, what if you want to use a hardware synth and not software/computer?

And, what if you want to use a hardware synth and not software/computer?

The TP can not be used without a computer/software library just yet,Then again that starr labs wireless can not be used without the over priced ripoff plastic toy controller.Take your pick,i'll go for my real guitar controller any day.

Back
Top Bottom