WHATS THE BEST BACKUP UNIT FOR YOUR RIG??

Deltafit

Inspired
Hi guys. I'm just wondering what the best (and cheapest/best bang for buck) guitar effects unit is. My main rig is my Axefx Ultra but i'm currently using it without ANY backup in a semi professional band. Risky i know! So i'm looking to get something with a small footprint, cheap and light to carry around. Preferably something with XLR outputs too. I dont mind going with oldish units but obviously it has to have a decent sound and i'm aware nothing is gonna come anywhere near my Axefx but like i say, it's only for backup ;)

BTW i'm in England. Any ideas?

Axe FX Standard. My main rig currently consists of a VHT Pittbull Ultralead with a matching 4x12. :)

Pod HD500 Straight to the PA. I can make the sounds I need. Easy to use. Not that expensive.

Works as a back up midi controller as well.

AAEN

Pod HD500 Straight to the PA. I can make the sounds I need. Easy to use. Not that expensive.

Works as a back up midi controller as well.

AAEN

Yes, works as a backup midi controller too...never thought of that! I was looking at the HD400 (not as expensive)

For a great sounding backup I'd go with tech 21 stuff - all analog, and is the next best sounding 'modeller' after the axe. The most compliments I've gotten tone-wise is when I'm using the axe, but followed not too bar back by when I use the tech 21 stuff. Customer service is also great, products are durable and road worthy. (did I mention all analog? :) )

For flexibility I would go with a pod hd or a gt10 - both offer quite a bit of flexibility to get you back up and running, but the sounds of both are just ok - nothing to write home about.

I sold my Ultra recently to make way for the AxeFX2 and have been using Guitar Rig 5 with my Redwirez IRs for the past couple of months (approx 20 gigs) and it has been awesome. So much better than any previous GR... I fly a lot so it is the perfect fly rig for me but will most probably be my backup rig once my AFX2 arrives.

I bought AmpKit for iOS on Armin's recommendation... and I've been pleasantly surprised how good it sounds! It comes with one amp and cab for free... they had a summer pack that I bought that included a couple more amp/cabs... it really does sound pretty good... bought the ampkit cable for $30 and so for $40 bucks I have amp backup on my phone!

I've got ampkit and amplitube for my iPad. Does somebody know whether they are Midi capable. I heard good things about jamup for the iPad and has midi. In the next update of jamup the cabsimulation can be turned off.

Cheers
PhillAnselmo

Hi guys. I'm just wondering what the best (and cheapest/best bang for buck) guitar effects unit is.

I've used a Vox ToneLab SE for years in various configurations, still use it, and consider it fantastic bang for the buck...that's my backup. If I was looking for a decent, low priced backup pedal I'd likely start looking first at their ToneLab EX.

At the time, I thought Vox had the best sounding modeling of all the offerings, and the SE was a bargain since it was a well made, solid pedal physically too...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom