What's that sound in the middle of Fleetwood Mac's - Say You Love Me

Rich G.

Experienced
I'm working on Fleetwood Mac's Say You Love me. In the middle of the song after the chorus it goes to an arpeggiated Bm E part. Any thoughts on how to achieve this sound? It sounds to me like it might have a pitch shift an octave up and maybe a chorus? Perhaps they used a 12 string in the original recording?

I hear banjo during the verse, but that middle part has too much sustain to be banjo.

I'm messing around with Pitch-Dual Chromatic with Voice 1 shifted +12 and a bit of detuning. That might get me close enough.
I have a pickup in the resonator on one of mine, plenty sustain from it, but you should be able to get close doing what you're doing.

The banjo is mixed pretty far down.

At 1:46 an electric 12-string comes in. It sounds like there's a slow rotary on it followed by heavy compression.

There are various threads about replicating the sound of a 12-string with the modelers. The issue with trying to do it with the modeler is it has no idea what string is generating a note, so it'll apply any pitch or octave change to every string and trying to use a crossover or EQ to split off the B and E strings into unisons flounders because we can play the same notes in various positions on the neck. It takes a hex-pickup to do it right and the unit can't take a hex input.

"Wish DigiTech Mosaic Polyphonic 12-String Effect Pedal" has a good discussion and some presets that do as good of a job as any that I've heard.

The banjo is mixed pretty far down.

At 1:46 an electric 12-string comes in. It sounds like there's a slow rotary on it followed by heavy compression.
This. There are a few hints of banjo floating around, more as fill than as actual riff. But I think the core of the sound is from the bridge pickup of a 12-string, compressed, with rotary or maybe a slow, deep chorus.

I ended up using a Pitch-Dual Chromatic block.

Here's a clip from the gig. It was a one-off Fleetwood Mac tribute show featuring local musicians. I'm the guy with the Les Paul.

Back
Top Bottom