What's so special about Matrix GT1000?

Nope

I have 2 NL12 cabs.

At some point it would be nice to get a NL2x12 if for no other reason than to have one. I really do not need it.

How are you running to FOH/stage monitors? Are you mic'ing your cabs or running cab sims in the Axe?

Join the club --

Every time I see a CLR post about "what you put in is what you get out"...my bullshit meter red lines as well.

Yeah but in that case it's (relatively) true. Look at the frequency response and dispersion vs frequency response info. Look at how time and time again studio engineers have been impressed with how accurate and clear the monitor is and how well it stacks up against their reference studio monitors of choice across the frequency spectrum.

How are you running to FOH/stage monitors? Are you mic'ing your cabs or running cab sims in the Axe?

At this point I am not. We use the PA for vocals only. None of the clubs we play in have FOH. Down the Shore they do -- but up here in NW NJ they don't.

Luckily all the members of the band are pros that have been playing a very long time (vintage players :lol) and we are all aware of our volumes, the room and singers.

That being said we have a couple of weddings on the books for next year. For those gigs we mike everything (including my amp). With the Axe I plan on going FOH (first time I will use it at a wedding gig).

for the wedding gigs I plan to use a pair of NL12 cabs as my back line and hopefully by then I will have a good IR of the NL12 to feed FOH.

Last edited:
Yeah but in that case it's (relatively) true. Look at the frequency response and dispersion vs frequency response info. Look at how time and time again studio engineers have been impressed with how accurate and clear the monitor is and how well it stacks up against their reference studio monitors of choice across the frequency spectrum.

Dude please .. lets not go there.

Honestly I am exhausted with the Power Point and chart argument bullshit. I have been hacking away playing clubs and weddings for 40 some odd years with tube amps (some great and some shitty). At this point in my life I only trust my ears and what my arthritic fingers can dial in.

CLR hype I do sort of believe, at least part of it. Used at a close range, traditional full range loudspeakers (with non-coaxial speakers) are basically crap. I know this to be true because I had traditional speakers, and I know that depending on the position you tend to hear more (or less) of the horn. Also, Jay does publish exhaustive measurements for his product, and presumably can be sued if those measurements turn out to be marketing BS. The measurements happen to confirm his sales pitch.

I said I only believe part of his story because I don't own these speakers and I have not tried them out with my rig. But hey, I believe 80% of what he says in this case, that's something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sam
CLR hype I do sort of believe, at least part of it. Used at a close range, traditional full range loudspeakers (with non-coaxial speakers) are basically crap. I know this to be true because I had traditional speakers, and I know that depending on the position you tend to hear more (or less) of the horn. Also, Jay does publish exhaustive measurements for his product, and presumably can be sued if those measurements turn out to be marketing BS. The measurements happen to confirm his sales pitch.

I said I only believe part of his story because I don't own these speakers and I have not tried them out with my right. But hey, I believe 80% of what he says in this case, that's something.

Well I did own one.

Look I don't want to turn this into a CLR love/hate thread. My opinions are well documented.

This thread is about the GT1000FX.

Last edited:
Maybe I'll just get both, and get rid of the one I don't like then.

Then believe me, because there's about to be a QSC put up for sale :)

I have a GT1000FX and a GT1500FX and they sound remarkable with either my 2x12s (Traditional) or my Q12s and CFR12s (FRFR); and together, you get the best of both worlds.

The guitar cabs sound in the room and the FRFR sounds off the record. Sounds like your jamming to the stereo :)

I never was able to get the GT1000FX dialed in with my traditional speakers. (Celestion G12T & EVM 12L) I got tired of trying to dial in a good sound, so I broke down and went FRFR with two CLRs and I couldn't be happier with my tone. I still miss the "amp in the room" sound, but I'm getting used to the FRFR sound. Plus FRFR really gives you a lot more flexibility and tonal range. My clean tones are the best I've ever had with any amp, and the lead tones are getting very very close to my real Triaxis.

Reactions: sam
In MY Humble Opinion:

In general: People should try for themselves before hyping or slam any product.

Further: CLR vs Matrix is just as ridiculous as Axe/Kemper or Fender/Gibson.

My question: Why the f... can`t people use stuff and like it without getting slammed!!

Conlusion: People need to shut up and play their guitar 8)

In MY Humble Opinion:

My question: Why the f... can`t people use stuff and like it without getting slammed!!

Couldn't agree more. Well said.

In MY Humble Opinion:

I agree and would add:

'Why can't people realistically represent the gear they like?'

'Can people stop quoting from manufacturers websites without links to source tests and/or unaffiliated users testimonies?'

This could all probably be summed up by:

'Please stop trying to convert people to gear you like when they have an adequate solution for their needs.'

Oh if only the world were round.... ;) :D

Im still considering picking up the carvin dcm1540. its 2U though.
As you can see from my signature I have a GT800 but have been thinking going back to Carvin the 1540L, to be precise, has been kind of on my mind allot lately. And yes I know the GT1000 has a different voicing (for everyone else)

Have tried a few power amps through the years with the AF, one of them being the Carvin DCM200L the only reason it left my rack was it was underpowered for the job. Ended up getting the Matrix GT800 single space more power, solved allot of problems and I do love it BTW.

So why change? (For me) It is because of my FRFR setup, not going to get into any tech-no babble and its because of things already said on this thread and several others. Follow this: (wording my be a little clunky)

You can see what I am using in my signature, basically a small PA to monitor myself and go FOH. The patch's are created on my system and reproduced FOH for the audience. Here is what kind of bothers me: the house PA does not have power amps to "work best with the Axe Fx" they are not voiced for the Axe Fx they do not have a sag to give a more tube like feel. Bottom line on the FRFR side I want neutral as possible, for consistency: and according to the above statements we have all read time and time again. Well -- this is not my definition of neutral. Keep in mind I am only referring to the FRFR world.

And I also want neutral for another reason, the Axe Fx and now the Axe Fx II have come such a long way in there power amp modeling I want it to have full control of voicing/sag (and so on) from one source, one fully adjustable source the Axe Fx.

John

I don't need a 1000W amp.

Correct yourself: You don't need a 1000W tube amp. You need a solid state amp with enough headroom to cover up a 100W tube amp. The main difference between tube and solid state amps is in their handling of signal peaks - tube amps compressing their peaks, which makes the ratio between peak- and average power output smaller and also causing the fact that you think tube power sound louder. This ratio is called crest factor. On solid state amps, there is no tube compression, so your peak power is the ultimate limit to avoid clipping - normal music signal handling approx. 1/8 of its nominal power without clipping. The crest factor of a guitar signal is related to the amount of distortion - lower than average music signal but it don't let you use the full power handling of a solid state power amp.

The conclution: Yes, you need a 1000W solid state...... :) (you newer use it full, also because most ss-amps can't deliver there full rated power longer then 2 minutes because of their power supplies....)

PS: talking about transfer characteristics (curves) is different from "sound characteristics" - just in case, you don't know ;)

this more than just fanboi blahblah......

Last edited:
.....'Please stop trying to convert people to gear you like when they have an adequate solution for their needs.'....

Amen to that!

Note to mods ...

please delete all CLR fanboy threads as well as all Jay Mitchell quotes and references... :lol

Now back to you regularly scheduled programming....

bananapopcorn.gif

Last edited:
I am an At Home Player. I Play all styles, but tend to gravitate toward the 80's metal or playing style but with a little more Taste, ala Andy Timmons, vs. Metallica.

I like all music and Randy Rhoads, George Lynch, Andy Timmons, Guthrie, Akira Takasaki, etc etc. Anyway, I looked at the Matrix GT1000 and an NL12 and I am sure they are great!

However, I somehow decided to get the Atomic CLR active wedges and JUST got to order a pair today. Been out of stock what seems like 4-5 months and all of these are already sold. You DO get 15 days to try and return them if you don't like them.

For my situation, playing at my HOUSE, at quieter levels; is the CLR's going to give me a good heavy sound and Feel? Or, am I going to (in your opinion) prefer the Matrix Power amp and passive NL12? This is a bad thread to ask this, but I am just wondering if the CLR is going to be GREAT, or for my playing style am I going to wish I got a Matrix set up?

I am an At Home Player. I Play all styles, but tend to gravitate toward the 80's metal or playing style but with a little more Taste, ala Andy Timmons, vs. Metallica.

I like all music and Randy Rhoads, George Lynch, Andy Timmons, Guthrie, Akira Takasaki, etc etc. Anyway, I looked at the Matrix GT1000 and an NL12 and I am sure they are great!

However, I somehow decided to get the Atomic CLR active wedges and JUST got to order a pair today. Been out of stock what seems like 4-5 months and all of these are already sold. You DO get 15 days to try and return them if you don't like them.

For my situation, playing at my HOUSE, at quieter levels; is the CLR's going to give me a good heavy sound and Feel? Or, am I going to (in your opinion) prefer the Matrix Power amp and passive NL12? This is a bad thread to ask this, but I am just wondering if the CLR is going to be GREAT, or for my playing style am I going to wish I got a Matrix set up?

Have no clue my brother.

What works for some people does not work for others. Good thing about the CLRs if you don't dig them for whatever reason, you can flip them and at least for now, get most of your money back.

My personal preference as I said before is that I want my amp to sound and feel like a real amp -- not like it is miked and fed through a studio monitor.

But again -- this is me ... I am an old tube guy through and through.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom