What's so special about Matrix GT1000?

to counter my own point 10 years later.
its glows orange BUT its also extremely compact and loud and rack mountable. I havent used mine in prob 7 years but i dont feel like theres anything else in the market similar aside from the duncan powerstage stuff but those arent on the same level. Its wild to see how small matrix has gotten over the years.

To answer the op, nothing.
Yes and no. The amps in most powered FRFR are crap beyond reason and having a rack amp makes sense from a reliability standpoint . BUT the whole FR FR market is a nightmare of poor sounding badly made junk unless you spend quite a lot and even then the experience to the player is still poor. The only speaker I am happy with is the F12 x200 but then you have to power it class AB for the feel. Back to my usual complaint that Fractal doesn't make or support particular FR FR with compensatory software and a system of accurate reproduction. We are stuck in a loop between what sounds good is good and a HiFi approach of meticulous accuracy to reproduce the models in the Axe warts and all. At the moment most have neither.

Yes and no. The amps in most powered FRFR are crap beyond reason and having a rack amp makes sense from a reliability standpoint . BUT the whole FR FR market is a nightmare of poor sounding badly made junk unless you spend quite a lot and even then the experience to the player is still poor. The only speaker I am happy with is the F12 x200 but then you have to power it class AB for the feel. Back to my usual complaint that Fractal doesn't make or support particular FR FR with compensatory software and a system of accurate reproduction. We are stuck in a loop between what sounds good is good and a HiFi approach of meticulous accuracy to reproduce the models in the Axe warts and all. At the moment most have neither.
I have a Matrix FR12 and a Friedman ASM12. I got both around the same time about 2016-17ish. I greatly preferred the friedman over the matrix, but the matrix being so lightweight is incredible. But then ive heard some guys buy those headrush 8" things and behringer speakers to gigs and man its just a toothpick in my ears. I get playing at home and all its probably fine.

I have a Matrix FR12 and a Friedman ASM12. I got both around the same time about 2016-17ish. I greatly preferred the friedman over the matrix, but the matrix being so lightweight is incredible. But then ive heard some guys buy those headrush 8" things and behringer speakers to gigs and man its just a toothpick in my ears. I get playing at home and all its probably fine.
I'm not referring to the cabs at all, only the power amps.

Agreed, however the OP didn't mention FRFR. The Matrix amps are nice, but there's nothing special about them including the price.

I love how people crap on crown amps, when they have been making great amps for decades. Now some of the earlier ones were heavy as a Bronco, but so were everyone elses, until class D came a long. "flatter response on the matrix" huh, how much flatter can you get than a straight line. They aren't meant to color, meant to be used for PA systems so they are flat. Hype is very powerful, almost as powerful as nostalgia. IMHO YMMV.

I love how people crap on crown amps, when they have been making great amps for decades. Now some of the earlier ones were heavy as a Bronco, but so were everyone elses, until class D came a long. "flatter response on the matrix" huh, how much flatter can you get than a straight line. They aren't meant to color, meant to be used for PA systems so they are flat. Hype is very powerful, almost as powerful as nostalgia. IMHO YMMV.
Well, this is interesting because I've been hearing (reading) about a lot of quality issues pertaining to Matrix. And I just bought one from Reverb (GT1000FX) and it was DOA. Go figure. Everything I've read has been (as pointed out to me in one of my posts) 10 years old. Given that and the fact that you can't find the GT1000FX, 1U, 2U or even 1600FX new or on the used market in any numbers... what are the NEWER reigning Champs today? Lightweight, 1 to 2 rack spaces, stereo? Is Crown the king? I see the Seymour Duncan 700s... butnI hear they aren't that powerful. What are they current champs?

Back
Top Bottom