Whats better than a Matrix FR212?

Actually, that's more with the Q12 and CFR wedges. The FR212 was designed and built with extended range instruments in mind (actually after a conversation with Tosin Abasi) and will handle 4 string bass no problems. It's -3db drop off point is 55hz (flat till then) and the cab is strong enough to handle low end stuff. IIRC I played some bass through it (badly) on the video I did for the FR212.

I totally remember the bass in your video now that you mentioned it! I have ran my 8 string guitar in the FR212 and its huge!

Yeah one of these would work for you. I would say just be careful if you are running you Carvin bridge Mono with the FR212. Matrix recommends min power to be 500w and max to be 1000w. These are 4 ohm cabs
Stereo @ 4ohms it is only rated 400w. A little under the FR212 specs. I run it at 8 ohms 260w with a 2x12 guitar cab it will blow ya off the stage its so loud.
This is from Carvins site.
4 ohms bridged 1400w
Peak Power
(2 Cycle Pulse) 2000w

Would this be a safe range for operation? I dont really understand the "2 cycle pulse" thing. I know I would not be running it with the amp volume up more than 1/2 to 2/3 volume.
Also, What kind of differances would I see with a Matrix amp? The Carvin is a great little amp and is very inexpensive. I have had mine for years and have had no problems.
Thanks

The more i think about it, I want to go this route. I've been recommended to go CLR's but am more attracted to these.

Stereo @ 4ohms it is only rated 400w. A little under the FR212 specs. I run it at 8 ohms 260w with a 2x12 guitar cab it will blow ya off the stage its so loud.
4 ohms bridged 1400w
Peak Power
(2 Cycle Pulse) 2000w

Would this be a safe range for operation? I dont really understand the "2 cycle pulse" thing. I know I would not be running it with the amp volume up more than 1/2 to 2/3 volume.
Also, What kind of differances would I see with a Matrix amp? The Carvin is a great little amp and is very inexpensive. I have had mine for years and have had no problems.
Thanks

You would probably be ok but just be careful not to drive your power amp to hard. The Matrix GT amps are designed to mimic some of characteristics of tube power amps. There are great debates back and forth on the differences in the Matrix GT amps and regular tube amps. All I know is this works for me, sounds great to me and is easy to moves!

I can't speak for the CLR but I can say that I have 5 different traditional speaker cabinets and 1 ( was 2 already sold one off) tube power amp in the garage collecting dust. Will be selling them soon. Randall, Marshall and Engl. I think what makes me like the FR212 and the fact that it works for me is it gives some of the traditional cab feel and look too

4 ohms bridged 1400w
Peak Power
(2 Cycle Pulse) 2000w

Thanks

The Carvin should be ok in bridged mode. In all likelihood, you won't get near that level of power (without one of your bandmates throwing something heavy at you) as it will be ridiculously loud. The programme rating is 1000w which is still a considerable amount of power the cab will handle. If you can't run to the Matrix, the Carvin will do the job.

Well, I won't be going this route just yet. Picked up a CLR. Thanks brianv4! Should be here in a few days. Can't wait.... I am back in my 10 peice band after a 3 year absense. First gig is the 31st. Will be sporting the CLR. Hope I don't have to do to much tweaking on my patches.
Man I love this forum!!

A3EEED5C-1B26-4217-9365-80E9303F7B84.jpg

068E4A15-5471-4159-88A7-A67E70B9CB16.jpg

Super rig! (Not setup... But maybe soon)

E3B642E9-EF78-4A28-BEBD-92C8ADA87D08.jpg

Back
Top Bottom