Whats better than a Matrix FR212?

kdog420000

Inspired
What's better than a Matrix FR212? whats that? I couldn't hear you cause I'm Fing deaf from using TWO FR212 cabs! Yep Two of them with a GT1600FX power amp. This is what is better than one! All I can say is this is the loudest setup I have ever had. Any Marshall Stack, Randall Stack, Mesa.... blah blah blah. It kills them. feels like a wall of sound behind you with just one. Two of them has just been over the top. I haven't messed with much other FRFR stuff out there but this is just amazing. If you are a metal guy or rock guy just like it loud, then I really recommend the FR212. It especially fills in that push that some people miss when they make the jump to FRFR from a standard cab. One of these cabs was plenty so don't let my ridiculous setup make you think you need two of them...I just have issues with having over the top power. If you were thinking about one of these ask any questions you may have.

image2.jpeg

image.jpeg

MATRIX YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!

Last edited:
Jealous! But I might be owning two of those as well. So I'm pretty thankful for your post! How do the FR212 compare to the Atomic CLR? Have you had those too?

What I'd love to be able to do is to play my Metal guitar, my acoustic guitar and from time to time a little bass with one and the same setup. The Axe is capable of course, but is the FR212? What would you say?

Jealous! But I might be owning two of those as well. So I'm pretty thankful for your post! How do the FR212 compare to the Atomic CLR? Have you had those too?

What I'd love to be able to do is to play my Metal guitar, my acoustic guitar and from time to time a little bass with one and the same setup. The Axe is capable of course, but is the FR212? What would you say?

I have not played the Atomic stuff so cant comment on it. I know Matrix does not recommend using bass with the FR212 but If you had 2 of them I would think your might be ok. I would double check with them. Metal and acoustic stuff sounds great!

Yeah, why the orange towel? Have you ever considered a black towel? Do these make good bird feeders? Light them up, and you have dinner! Would these make good boats? If you dropped a watermelon while standing on top of one of those, how much energy would be transferred to sound and deformation? Could they serve well as highchairs for little people? In fact, do they float? What are their names? Do they get along well? Do you read them bedtime stories to them at night? Exactly how many clowns can you fit in one of them? ... :D

Congrats on the new toys!

I came very close to buying one of those myself, as I didn't feel like waiting 100 years for a CLR. Plus, I thought that two twelves would do more for that "in the room" sound/feel. But, then I thought about service and shipping between the US and England, and started to get cold feet. Decided to get on the wait list for the CLR while I chewed on what to do, and Lo! They had the things in stock! Two days later, I had an active CLR wedge. Not sorry - it's an incredible unit - but I think I may still get an FR212 just to see how it compares. I'm quite confident I can flip either one if necessary, so it's a pretty low-risk experiment.

Matrix ships very quickly to NA. I had my Matrix Q12's in hand about 1 week after ordering to Canada.

Congrats on the new toys!

I came very close to buying one of those myself, as I didn't feel like waiting 100 years for a CLR. Plus, I thought that two twelves would do more for that "in the room" sound/feel. But, then I thought about service and shipping between the US and England, and started to get cold feet. Decided to get on the wait list for the CLR while I chewed on what to do, and Lo! They had the things in stock! Two days later, I had an active CLR wedge. Not sorry - it's an incredible unit - but I think I may still get an FR212 just to see how it compares. I'm quite confident I can flip either one if necessary, so it's a pretty low-risk experiment.

Matrix ships very quickly to NA. I had my Matrix Q12's in hand about 1 week after ordering to Canada.

I'm sure that's true, but that wasn't my worry, especially considering how long people have been waiting for CLRs. What was distressing was the $163 shipping charge to Michigan, and if I ever had to send it back for repair, we're looking at $320 round-trip + travel time. That's a bit much to take. They really need to get some stateside representation so they can enjoy some economies of scale in shipping and fast turn-arounds on repair/replacements.

looking at these as well, still wondering about the powered unit? So bass is out of the question didn't know that. still think these will work best for the range of instruments(nylon string acoustic to 8-string brootz)

I can't argue that.

I'm sure that's true, but that wasn't my worry, especially considering how long people have been waiting for CLRs. What was distressing was the $163 shipping charge to Michigan, and if I ever had to send it back for repair, we're looking at $320 round-trip + travel time. That's a bit much to take. They really need to get some stateside representation so they can enjoy some economies of scale in shipping and fast turn-arounds on repair/replacements.

Yeah, why the orange towel? Have you ever considered a black towel? Do these make good bird feeders? Light them up, and you have dinner! Would these make good boats? If you dropped a watermelon while standing on top of one of those, how much energy would be transferred to sound and deformation? Could they serve well as highchairs for little people? In fact, do they float? What are their names? Do they get along well? Do you read them bedtime stories to them at night? Exactly how many clowns can you fit in one of them? ... :D

Yes to all. Next?

I think they actually have some state side service going or in the works.

Lotta questions:
Do you play out? If so, what sorta music?
How's it sound at low volumes?

I'm not playing out at this time but do practice in a full band setting. All heavy tunes. Drop C tuning.
I've enjoyed all the sounds at low and high volume but it really opens up as volume goes up.

I am thinking about getting one of these. I play in a 10 piece rhythm and blues rock and soul band. I have been using Two 2x12 legacy cabs and get a good tone but would like to try the FRFR setup. I am trying to eliminate 1 cab and thought this might be the way go....wudda ya think? Would power it with my Calvin HD1500 for now.

We are in the process of setting up a US office (based in Ventura) and even at the moment, our US customers can send returns or repairs there if needed to avoid getting it back to the UK. If needs be, in the case of the heavier products like the FR212, we can still replace from the UK whilst the customer sends back to the US. Because of the setting up process as well, Andy is over there pretty much every few weeks now. Luckily, the speakers are very reliable and the danger of anything going wrong is very small.

I know Matrix does not recommend using bass with the FR212

Actually, that's more with the Q12 and CFR wedges. The FR212 was designed and built with extended range instruments in mind (actually after a conversation with Tosin Abasi) and will handle 4 string bass no problems. It's -3db drop off point is 55hz (flat till then) and the cab is strong enough to handle low end stuff. IIRC I played some bass through it (badly) on the video I did for the FR212.

I am thinking about getting one of these. I play in a 10 piece rhythm and blues rock and soul band. I have been using Two 2x12 legacy cabs and get a good tone but would like to try the FRFR setup. I am trying to eliminate 1 cab and thought this might be the way go....wudda ya think? Would power it with my Calvin HD1500 for now.

Yeah one of these would work for you. I would say just be careful if you are running you Carvin bridge Mono with the FR212. Matrix recommends min power to be 500w and max to be 1000w. These are 4 ohm cabs

Back
Top Bottom