What's a good tablet (andriod or win) for under $150

Loquenau

Power User
My laptop is my theatre PC right now, and only occasionally do I need something mobile that isn't my phone, so am wanting to get a small-ish tablet.

Are they releasing any tabs with 'streamlined' Android?...that aren't expensive? I've rooted my phone and all, but wouldn't mind not having to bother.

Have any suggestions?

i've seen some deals on groupon/ebay for galaxy tabs i'm a big samsung fan

but- get any decent android knockoff ipad on ebay

just search

android tablet 10" and there's plenty cheap
they're all about the same

Add a few more bucks, and get the new Nexus 7. Great screen (high DPI) and CPU. Guaranteed OS updates. Will last a while.

Apparently the touch screens on tablets, or at least this one, work differently than, say, my phone. It requires some pressure, which would work fine with greasy fingers. Hmmmm..........

The Nook HD+ (8'9) can be hacked for 10 to 20 $ to become a full android tablet. Very good screen, good specs, for 149 $ + tax

I bought my 8 y.o. daughter a Kindle Fire HD. For $129 its an amazing deal. Quality of the unit is top notch all around.

Well, I got a android knock-off, and the touch screen sucks a dick.

Correction: touch screen only sucks on cheap Androids. It's fine on iOS, expensive Android tablets and phones, and Windows. Out of which iOS is by far the best in terms of touchscreen responsiveness. You get what you pay for.

Thanks for chiming in, guys. I'll look those units up.

I sent the company an email, and they responded in a several hours saying that unit has a resistance screen (ahh, it does say that in the information - alas, I didn't pay that close attention), and offered a newer capcitive screen unit for $12 more. I might have to foot the return bill on this one. Which would bring it in the range of the Kindle and Nook.

Last edited:
Well, finally got the new tablet. The [capacitive] screen is so great. Resistive touch screens suck. Thing is light, and pretty quick. Has HDMI out. Now my only bitch is the Android version (4.4.2) is kind of wonky. You have to go into settings>yadda>yadda>yadda to delete (image, video, etc) files. But that's an Android Central task to research.

Irulu dual core tablet - basically two thumbs up.

My laptop is my theatre PC right now, and only occasionally do I need something mobile that isn't my phone, so am wanting to get a small-ish tablet.

Are they releasing any tabs with 'streamlined' Android?...that aren't expensive? I've rooted my phone and all, but wouldn't mind not having to bother.

Have any suggestions?
I just got my first tablet, which was an adroit 7 inch Digital2, at Big Lots, and it was $69.99. I believe the same tablet in 10 inches was $99.99 I think it is a steal at that price, and it allows me to do everything I need. I don't play games or anything, I just use it to browse the web, but mainly for guitar learning apps. For instance, the songsterr app is amazing. There's also tons or scale and chord learning apps and whatnot. I also use it to read guitar ebooks, like right now I am working on the Grimore Scales book and the Fretboard Logic books. I love that you can read these books and then take digital notes at the same time. The tablet has done wonders for my learning system, which was severely lacking and scatterbrain all over the place!

EDit: Sorry, I see now you already posted you bought one, but do take into consideration those apps I mentioned.

The Nook HD+ (8'9) can be hacked for 10 to 20 $ to become a full android tablet. Very good screen, good specs, for 149 $ + tax

+11111111111111111111

I have 2 (or had, left one in an airport recently). Screen is great & the cost is right. It is missing some minor features: camera/gps, but it's a great tablet.

EDit: Sorry, I see now you already posted you bought one, but do take into consideration those apps I mentioned.

Not at all, man. Others looking to buy might be browsing. A hundred bucks is good - if it's a capacitive screen. I don't belong to Costco, though.

@LAYGO: no cam?? Mmm, not for that price. Mine's got two.

But the rest of the specs just don't match up to the Nook HD/HD+. The screen alone on those are worth the $150. Capacative, very responsive, and nice!

It does matter on features desired. I actually think I might've wanted a notebook instead, because I like having an integrated keyboard, and touch screen doesn't matter that much to me. Also, since I'm not going to watch movies on it - youtubes probably, but nothing serious, egads - higher resolution isn't a factor.

Back
Top Bottom