What's a good clean amp for single note clean lines?

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
im looking for an amp that doesn't sound so thin on single note stuff. Maybe an ir would make a difference also. I'm currently using the ods clean and rumble ir. It still sounds thin imo and would like a fat warm tone. In theory it seems like the fenders would be a good start but I've never been able to get along with them. Anyway, that's about it. Thx!

if you haven’t yet scored @austinbuddy s Naked Amp pack, highly, highly recommended if only for the cleans alone...just about every amp in the box has been tweaked into its optimized best clean tone and matched cab.

But if ya can’t give a few shekels to Buddy...(and you should).....
Try the TX STAR Clean or Badger 18 with the 2x12 SV Legend mix (f118 on ax8)

Ok thx for the suggestions. I'll give Austen's stuff another listen. I've never once been able to use anyone else's presets though.

Ok thx for the suggestions. I'll give Austen's stuff another listen. I've never once been able to use anyone else's presets though.
These are different...trust me. Especially on the clean set, all the FX/routing choices are up to you but you are getting what many long term users here are stating that these are the best core tones to work with.....

Just FYI: In the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack, there are 101 clean presets TIMES 2 (Scene 1/2 per preset, with second slightly higher gain than first crisper one), plus clean boost drive blocks for each preset ... So in theory 400 possible clean tones. You will find something great in all those possibilities you will love that works for you.

Also, download the "Steel Sings: ST" preset I put on Axe-Change and see what you think, it's a Dumble Steel String Singer. That one is popular for Strats.

Warm, fat cleans? There are many ways to get there.

Look at changing the IR: That's more of a rabbit hole than I want to go into here regarding specific recommendations: but that change can enhance the body of the ODS, or if you want to stay close to the classic Fender cleans - and are willing to trade off some of the Jensen bite and sparkle for thickness. Try a closed back instead of open, or a 4x12 if you're used to a smaller cabinet.

As far as amps: EL84 amps are a great sandbox to play in: The AC20, as mentioned, as well as the AC15, Matchless, Ruby Rocket, and the Trainwrecks are all great fun.

Not just EL84s either. A Plexi or Deizel, for example, have great clean tones. One of my perennial favorites is the Hiwatt: With substantial gain it still stays cleanish(?) (by my admittedly loose standard of "clean"), but the plain strings thicken up with sustain and the wound strings maintain definition - fabulous overall balance.

I prefer a narrow "clean" range - because I'll want to be able to push them into (at least) a little distortion with dynamics. Adjusting the input trim is key: you don't want to hit the front end too hard, or have to set the preamp gain too low.

Not to overlook the option of a Tube Drive (Drive Block) at unity or low gain just for the thickening factor.

Also: A compressor in front of the amp: with a fairly high ratio (4:1 - 8:1), but with just small amount (20%-35%) of it mixed in parallel to give the added body without changing the dynamic feel.

A compressor is also useful when you want clean and all you want is clean: in which case its set with a high threshold to function as a limiter: In this way you can set an amp for the warmth of a little preamp saturation and avoid it overdriving on the peaks.

Last edited:
Try my polytone ir combo pack. I have tuned the amps to work quite well in the context you are looking for. You will find the url in my signature.

Like @artzeal said, compression helps a lot in front of the amp. I'll also keep the input drive low on some of the bigger Fenders (I'm a big fan of the Super Verb). Turn up the bass just enough to keep the low end tight, bring down the treble, and then raise the output level to compensate for the lower volume. Sometimes I compress a little bit after the amp and cab, too.

Back
Top Bottom