What would you pay to get back the one that got away?

iaresee

Administrator
I have one gear regret: I sold my beloved UV777GR to pay for college tuition thinking I'd be able to buy it back some day in the future. At the time (1995) I didn't know what a rare guitar it was (maybe 300 made apparently).

I've never seen one up for sale.

Until now.

And I'm kind of reeling at the asking price: $5500.

What would you pay to get back the one that got away? If you have paid to do it, did you regret it? I'm worried I'll never use it if I pay that much for it. That's going on near three times the price I've ever paid for a guitar.

I had a 68 Fender Strat given to me in 68 by my next door neighbor in who was a session bassist for the Fender Factory.

I never got the time to take up guitar so I gave it to a friend in 75. :( Now looking back, what a bonehead move. But in the moment I never considered what it could be worth 40 years later.

I did keep the 65 deluxe reverb though!!!! :)

I can pre-answer the question, as I'm getting ready to try to sell an extremely rare Fernandes fretless that I got around 1991 or so and only very rarely ever played. I only know of two others in existence and this one is so perfect it could be hanging as new in a shop. Thing is, I never play it because I wanted to keep it super nice to keep the value up, and unfortunately I need the money, so I'm going to have to part with it if I can find a buyer. So yeah, I would pay to get it back someday if I ever had the money and it was in the same condition, because not only is it gorgeous, but man it plays smooth, and the neck profile is amazing. I don't absolutely have to sell it though. It's not a straight up necessity, so I'm going to ask quite a bit for it when I do try and if I get a taker, great. If not, I'll just hang on to it. Basically, I want to make selling it worth my selling it and the pain of parting with it, if you know what I mean.

A want is a want and what your willing to pay for it is up to you and is a very personal and emotional thing. There are a few items that I wish I had never sold in my life and I will probably never see them again and for the most part I'm ok with it. Thats not to say if I were to get the chance to re-acquire that thing I would probably do it.

To quote a great line from a mediocre movie "Life's simple, you make choices and you don't look back" you gotta love that quote... just a little :encouragement:.

I bought a mid 60's Fender Blackface Bassman head for $100 in the very early '80's and sold it for $75 when the output tubes went. It was in great shape...I'd love to have that to play thru now and wish I'd kept it.

Had a early 70's jmp marshall,in the early 80's. had a excellent crunch. think I payed 300.00. At that time, if it wasn't giving what what I wanted ,I'd just trade it in.Would'nt pay what they are going for now:nightmare:

Long gone, not coming back.
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe cherry sunburst 1967, sold it to "a friend" for $350 in 1991, (became small monthly installments, like pulling teeth to get the balance)
Fender Deluxe reverb amp head '60's, sold it for $75 in the early 80's
Echoplex EP-1 sold it $225 in early 80's to buy a digital delay rack.
Gibson Les Paul Black beauty '72 Sold it for $600 in 1994 out of desperation for cash.

Needed money real bad and sold my 1960 LesPaul for 300$ around 1975, still brings tears to my eyes...price for getting ist back? Couldn't pay what it's worth now anyway!

Last edited:
I had a 68 Fender Strat given to me in 68 by my next door neighbor in who was a session bassist for the Fender Factory.

I never got the time to take up guitar so I gave it to a friend in 75. :( Now looking back, what a bonehead move. But in the moment I never considered what it could be worth 40 years later.

facepalm.gif

:mrgreen

a 60's epiphone coronet with 1 dog ear p90, silver fox color (was really a green color). had to sell to get my transmission fixed when I lived in LA. I didn't know what it was really worth at the time... sold it to the people across the street from GC on sunset. He got a good deal, but so did I since I only paid $90 for it at a pawn shop. would love to have it back, played great, and TONE man that thing screamed.

The one that got away was stolen by a blues/rock band from washington DC who hired me for heir european tour and stay during fall 1999 and spring 2000 . The guitar was my beloved Fender Stratocaster, black finish, maple neck with Seymour Duncan PUs.

I was the local amp technician, who was called for an emergency repair backstage before a gig, fixing a fender '59 bassman amp. I was successfully finished the repair right before the show and testing it - which impressed the crew and the musician so they invite me for a jam. I found out they were in need of a 2nd guitarist, so they offered me a job. What a great experience for a young swiss musician playing in a professional working and touring band. The following shows were fantastic with a lot of positive feedback from the crowd (which didn't know that I was just a "hired nothing" from switzerland) , but after a while they realized, that I was capable doing so much more than what they first expected and the audience knew it too and like it very much! I guess the story was well prepared by their bandleader who was jealous about me and threw me out after 6 months being their guitarist. When they took my gear it was already too late - I contacted the management by phone, they wont help me either - I was young, a bit naive and good hearted guy - and got ripped off! So there would be no chance to pay for getting my guitar back.....:(:blue:
It was not my last attempt being a gigging musician, but it made my decision to stay out of the business since then......

Last edited:
Reactions: yek
Back
Top Bottom