What would you do....

steadystate

Fractal Fanatic
...if someone on Youtube was claiming (in the comments section) that a posted song you wrote, recorded, and copyrighted was written and recorded by someone else (in this case, her boyfriend and his friend).

The song in question will never make a dime and is as obscure as a song can get. But it still gets under my skin that this woman keeps posting an elaborate fairy tale of how the song "really" came to be. Apparently, her boyfriend has been blowing smoke up her skirt.

Would you call her out? Or would you ignore her?

...if someone on Youtube was claiming (in the comments section) that a posted song you wrote, recorded, and copyrighted was written and recorded by someone else (in this case, her boyfriend and his friend).

The song in question will never make a dime and is as obscure as a song can get. But it still gets under my skin that this woman keeps posting an elaborate fairy tale of how the song "really" came to be. Apparently, her boyfriend has been blowing smoke up her skirt.

Would you call her out? Or would you ignore her?
That's a tough one! You should be flattered that she is so impressed with it and leave it at that. Their problems aren't your problems unless they make $ off of it and then you can take that away from them.

When you say "copyrighted" do you mean that you actually filed for copyright with the office of patents and copyrights?

When you say "copyrighted" do you mean that you actually filed for copyright with the office of patents and copyrights?

Yes. The sound recording I sent them along with the Form SR is the exact recording on Youtube that this woman is claiming her friend wrote and her boyfriend played lead guitar on. Why does this piss me off so much, considering I've offered it for free since it was written?

Since you have filed the proper documentation, then you would have standing for copyright infringement. Unless they are making a profit off of it, then you really have no injury, other than the principle of it, and I absolutely get why it angers you. I would say rightfully so. Two thoughts. First, from a spiritual perspective, it is better to be the injured party, than the offender. Second, look at the bright side. You could have married her. Sounds like a win/win to me, steadystate.

I would definitely make a comment and let others know that she is mistaken. Initially, I wouldn't even state that you are the artist who created it. Just say something along the lines of "there is no way your boyfriend created this as I know who did". I only say this because she no doubt would get defensive and you could possibly determine from her responses that she is either lying to promote her boyfriend or she was as you said duped by her boyfriend. She might actually be thankful for gaining the knowledge that her boyfriend isn't so honest with her. Ideally, the boyfriend might chime in and you can then put them all in their place. :)

It SHOULD piss you off regardless of any monetary considerations. Nobody likes people that take credit for others work. Offering up your stellar work up for free is ALL THE MORE REASON that those who enjoy it know who is deserving of the accolades.

Seriously? I agree, this should piss you off. It's rude and is just trolling. How exactly would you have gotten a copy of this guys' song if it was his? I If you get the sense that she's being duped by the bf, have her ask him to hear the original project tracks in his DAW (she could even do it sweetly, like "I'd love to hear how you created that! Show me how you mixed it." That should end it pretty quickly ;-)

I wonder, is there a way to search her username and see other posts she's made? Be interesting to see if you're not the only one they're doing this to.

Right if the song is copyrighted, then you don't need to worry. Just think other way around people liking your song. Don't worry, just ignore it.

Are her boyfriend and his mate in any way or form involved in the making of this song? If so from now on refrain from using their services in the future as you would now also be dealing with a Yoko Ono. Significant others of band members are one of the biggest reasons of band breakups, and all to often not on very amicable terms as well. I've seen this happen.

As for the OP, there is no good answer, as there are never any winners in a youtube comments debate. The best you can probably do is respectfully counter her claims by stating you wrote and composed everything and own the legal copyrights. And respectfully ask her boyfriend that to contact you to put up or shut up. And leave it at that because it can and only will deteriorate into a shouting match. But to casual comments reader it will at least show that you called her out on her bullshit. Even if the next 20 posts consists of nothing but her calling you the anti-christ.

I see so much bad copyright advice

If it's not copyrighted- who cares
if you have decent proof you wrote it and where- like an mp3 dated years before or your own youtube video from years before- etc

You don't have to file anything with anyone, or mail a cd to yourself

If you wrote it- it's yours-
Without copyrighting this- i own these words i'm typing right now in the post (unless fractal takes ownership in their form terms and conditions)

If you wrote it- it's yours- you own it
You have the right to COPY it or do whatever with it

There's NO money in the music industry. So- HOPE someone steals your song- makes money off it- and then sue the hell out of them.
THEN you get paid AND they did all the work.

The only occasion where that doesn't work

I have never filed a copyright for any song- however- i own the rights and publishing to them... because I have a publishing company.

Everything is registered with BMI, as me as a songwriter 50% and me as the publisher 50% and that's how I deal with most people I work with.

Speaking of BMI- technically they go after royalties for you if you earned any- and in theory if something was placed without your permission of something you wrote BMI could help get you the money- but they don't settle songwriting disputes.

Anyway- call them out on it if they're stealing your stuff.

I also wanted to add one last thing

The most important asset to a band or musician...
isn't copyrights, and publishing, or royalties.

It's the name

The band name and logo is the #1 asset.
You name a band, and they made more money on tshirts than the music

And those- need to be TM'd not copyrighted.

Probably believed her boyfriend when he told her he wrote it - call them out ...but she may then fall for you!
Assholes.
Thanks
Pauly

I would be curious how does this "original version" sound like. She should provide a proof that someone else wrote this song if she can, a link or something. I would than give her a compliment for her imagination and ignore her. If she doesn't stop then, I would block and report her.

Definitely call them out. That dude should not be getting credit (or getting laid for that matter) for a song you wrote. It's just the principle. Can you post a link to the song?

Call 'm out. Had to do it with some punk song I wrote 30-odd years ago. Funny how time colors memory...till someone is gently asked: "WTF, really..." "Um...I guess not..." At least I didn't have to dig thru my old cassettes or hurt anybody...

People thought just because I disappeared, they cd take credit. Make sure credit accrues where it's due. Claim your intellectual property. (I'll admit, mine wasn't very intellectual...but still.)

Back
Top Bottom