What will be Fractal's next product?

I'm hoping that Fractal will do to studio processing what he did to guitar processing.

So many great vintage and modern outboard processors that use tubes and I assume could be mimicked.

If there was a Manley Voxbox or a Slam in a Fractal product I'd build another bot to hammer Fractal's web store until I had one in my studio!

Starting to think out of the "box" now, but I really doubt bass offerings. Line6 couldn't make it work, neither could Boss.

Of course. LOL. There's a reason why I'm not using Boss or Line6 gear. It is specifically because they've not provided the high quality or advanced feature-set of the AxeFx , which is why I'm using the AxeFx. You're probably right that this "new product" won't be a bass-specific product. But that said, all of the technology (at least where FAS is concerned) is in place. It's only a matter of dedicating the resources and focus toward bassists, and already the AxeFx seems to be catching on with some name players. I'm sure FAS only started out with a handful of semi-well-known guitarists on their artist roster back in the old Gen 1 days. I don't think that it is much of a stretch to think that the same type of growth couldn't happen with bassists. Certainly not as broad a base as the guitarist market, but still viable nonetheless. Seems to me that companies like GK, SWR, Ampeg, Aguilar, EBS and others are doing quite well concentrating most of their efforts on bass amps only.

FWIW, I can vouch for how good the AxeFx (Ultra) sounds using and SV Bass (SVT) model going into a SS power amp into an Ampeg 8x10. It sounds so good that I've not even plugged in my real SVT Classic going on years now. And the AFXII is even better, not to mention that they both sound very good using the cab models going direct to PA or for recording. So, while it may not be happening now, I'm of the opinion it IS going to happen eventually...just a matter of who and when. JMHO.

Of course. LOL. There's a reason why I'm not using Boss or Line6 gear. It is specifically because they've not provided the high quality or advanced feature-set of the AxeFx

To each his own. For guitar, I'm still using my Boss GT-10 for drive and effects with my amp, and there isn't a gig that goes by where a guitarist doesn't come up and tell me how great the tone is. Lots of advanced features in the GT series.

But I was referring to bass products. Neither Boss nor Line6 were able to make those sell.

It's going to be interesting to see what this new product is. If it's a multi-effects of some sort, it's going to have significant competition from lower priced units like the GT-100 or even the HD500. We know Fractal has them beat on the amp modeling side. I'm just wondering if this supposed product is going to be something completely different than what everyone has already mentioned. Kinda like when Line6 introduced StageScape mixers and speakers, leaving their guitar user base to scratching their heads.

I'm hoping that Fractal will do to studio processing what he did to guitar processing.

So many great vintage and modern outboard processors that use tubes and I assume could be mimicked.

If there was a Manley Voxbox or a Slam in a Fractal product I'd build another bot to hammer Fractal's web store until I had one in my studio!

They would have to compete with Nebula, but it would be nice to have a hardware version with a powerful processor and top notch AD/DA conversion plus also be able to profile them.

I was referring to bass products. Neither Boss nor Line6 were able to make those sell.

A slight drift, but related...

I bagged a Sansamp PSA1 from ebay the other day with the sole intention of A/B'ing with our Bass player's Line6 Bass POD XT to see if would be a marked improvement.

I was absolutely certain that the Sansamp would blow the POD out of the water, but it was actually the other way around. Each time I switched the POD back in when blind testing, both he and I went "Ooo, like that one!". No amount of tweaking could get the PSA anywhere near to a sound that we like.

That came as a total surprise, although perhaps it was the wrong Sansamp, because the RBI I've also come into contact with certainly didn't have any problem raising a nice tone.

Very entertaining thread! Does anyone know if a new product is actually coming "soon" or is this just black smoke from the chimney of Sistine Chapel?

I bet it's a gaming console to compete with Sony and Nintendo. Okay, maybe not.

I actually like that idea! I doubt this will be it, especially as, last I heard, Cliff doesn't seem fond of the idea of developing plugins that could then be pirated, but studio gear modeled with the same detail as the amps in the Axe II would be really appealing to the same people who are already using the Axe-FX to make home studio in-the-box productions.

By "different market segment" Cliff really means "lower price point, less features & not in a rackmount format".

This makes it a "different market segment" than the full monty Axe-II.....

By "different market segment" Cliff really means "lower price point, less features & not in a rackmount format".

This makes it a "different market segment" than the full monty Axe-II.....

I think "different market segment" means those who won't give up their tubes.

I think it will be a studio gear, with lots of tube studio gears MIMIC'd. (Neve, Harrison, Fairchild, Teletronix, Pultec, Manley, etc...)
...at least I wish it would be .

+1, I came to the end of this thread to speculate this almost exactly, you beat me to it.

There's some challenges with Fractal making a lower-end guitar floorboard, Line6 PodHD style. In the lower-end price point (Line6, etc) you have huge competition. You need more mass-production and probably retail distribution to be competitive. The low-end market shops at Guitar Center, right?. On the other hand, a high-end, more expensive floorboard would be a good product but might cannibalize sales of both the Axe-Fx and the MFC.

So maybe the 'different market segment' Cliff mentioned is a market other than guitar players. Studios could make good use of the Axe-Fx as is, but it's easy to imagine new products powered by FAS tech that would be directly targeted at studios, keyboardists and other electronic musicians.

I've got it!!! Maybe it is going to be a Fractal Fridge (c) to compete with the Marshall Fridge. Modelled of course from the Marshall.... Single coils, refridgerator coils, it's all basically the same thing...

But in a 2U form factor, it just won't hold as many cold ones... :cry

Back
Top Bottom