What was your 1st amp?

Infuseguitar

Inspired
Randomly scrolling through the worldwide inter-webs and came across this gem. I started playing guitar way back in 1984ish. I didn’t own an amp yet for my Hondo Strat. My family had one of these 70’s console stereos that was used for a TV stand. It had a 1/4” mic input jack and I think a built in reverb unit. I can’t remember the brand but I know it was an all tube loud as hell monster. I had a few old DOD distortion and fuzz pedals I placed in front. Eventually my old man got tired of me moving the TV off the top and bought me a Peavey Special 130. This was my 1st guitar amp. I’d like to hear from others what they had for their 1st amp. Console.jpeg

PV Spec130.jpeg

My first amp was a solid state Fender FM65R along with a Behringer V-AMP 2. To be honest, even with almost 20 years passing since then I must say it wasn't bad at all. The V-AMP 2 gave me the opportunity to get acquainted with different levels of overdrive and distortion, amp sounds, effects and all. I didn't care much for the tones the Fender could do on its own but it was a decent and certainly loud enough backline for the V-AMP 2. Funny thing is, I don't remember why but the amp had to be replaced at one point (still under warranty). The V-AMP 2 ended up with one of my students later on but I honestly wish I'd just kept it :)

An old Universum Hifi Solid State (1990 ) 2x15W , selfmade cable into TS10 into Ibanez DD, believe it or not, it sounded great at home.
My first real Amp was a Roland Jazz Chorus and I didnt like it at all.

A Harmony, tiny little SS amp that was made of plastic. It came with the Harmony guitar that was a total POS. It probably had like a 4" speaker and one knob. Kids today don't have a clue how bad we had it. You can buy a cheap Asian made guitar and an old Line 6 Pod that would be 10,000 times better than my first rig.

A fender stage 112. 2×12 combo. I was a metal head, but I remember the drive channel actually held it's own with my old 76 explorer reissue. Of course, my 14 year old self wasn't satisfied, and ended up using mostly the clean channel through a DOD death metal pedal🤣🤣 As I'm 43 now, I use way less gain. I do have a "95 jayjay" tone patch in my axe 3 though... similar only using a metal zone through a fender clean channel. Honorable mention goes to a loaner amp by one of those older "cool" friends, a Gorilla combo 1×12 in which I blew the speaker 🤣🤣

Tiny red Guitar Research like 8" speaker thing. I used to turn it completely up and the gain all the way up, but lay it face down on my carpet to cut the highs.

Ross 15watt with an 8" speaker. It was part of a beginner pack from Sam Goody record store.

Standell 2x15 Bass amp, ran a black/yellow Ross Distortion through it, lol. Wish I still had that pedal.
First real Guitar amp: Crate 1600XL Half Stack. Sounded great for a SS amp. Still have it, still sounds great. May need a cap replacement soon though.

Last edited:
My mother's brother was the CEO of Singer Aerospace. A literal rocket scientist. He made me a tube guitar amp! I wish I still had it. Before that, I'd plug in to the AUX in of a Realistic cassette recorder, hold down the guard switch, and press play+record for monitoring. I then got a Crate CR-112 in December 1981 or 82.

It was a Dean Markley practice amp. Akin to that famed Gorilla we're waiting to be modeled.

Back
Top Bottom