What was Metallica thinking?

Isn't a new Metallica album basically an excuse to go on tour and play their old classics again?It's not like most people go there to hear anything new since what? The 90's?

So its like any regular job. Only they get paid millions for it and we don't. Color me unimpressed with their plight. Besides, they could have gone Radiohead and play a different setlist and set of songs every night. Does it matter much if Master of Puppets opens or closes the show or gets played somewhere in between?

So because they eff around with a Prince song for shits and grins they have a plight? You're blowing this way out of proportion. Ease off on the caffeine.

I don't get paid millions to play because I'm a full time student. I never had the dream or intended to be in their shoes so I'm not tragically bitter about it.

BTW I agree that what happened in that clip was pretty terrible. I made it 23 seconds in and had to stop. How, seriously someone tell me how? With all the resources at their disposal how can anyone sound that bad?

And speaking of epic fail, on the same Popmart tour, when U2 played Barcelona, Edge did the Macarena. But what nobody had told him that the song was from an artist from Madrid, and Barcelona is in Catalonia, the region of Spain that to say doesn't exactly like Madrid is putting it mildly. Probably the only time Edge got booed on stage since they became famous.

Hi, just to clarify La Macarena is a song by a spanish duo called Los del Rio, they're based in Dos Hermanas (Sevilla). I think the audience boos have to do more from the style of the song than from regionalisms. This latin mixed with flamenco pop-dance pachanga don't represent us at all (the dubious quality of the hit may be another factor), in my country we have an exciting catalog by many artists that would rise the bar.
In the stage some jokes go wrong!

Last edited:
This is actually...fairly inaccurate.

Metallica play different setlists almost every night. They have a few songs that they play at the same point in the setlist, but in between you'll see a fair bit of variation.

Fair enough.

Also, Hardwired was a pretty damn good album. Spit Out The Bone in particular is a bitchin' song.

I'll take your word for it. Me and Metallica parted after Load came out. And the Napster incident.

That being said, the Prince cover is pretty appalling. I understand why they do it, but I wish they wouldn't.

I still think the cover itself is not that bad, kinda meh, but this whole doodle thing is a show stopper.

So because they eff around with a Prince song for shits and grins they have a plight? You're blowing this way out of proportion. Ease off on the caffeine.

I don't get paid millions to play because I'm a full time student. I never had the dream or intended to be in their shoes so I'm not tragically bitter about it.

I am not a multi-million earning rockstar, but I can recognize what works in a show and what not. I don't subscribe to the fanboy excuse that rockstars like Metallica know better what they're doing then us mere mortals. Because then please explain Jason's Mystery bass lines on In Justice, Load/Reload, Napster, St. Anger, Death Magnetic mastering or Lulu?

The way I see it a band which has reached the commercial levels of a Metallica is afforded some leeway in the stunts it can get away with. So Metallica can get away with this show stopping doodle, just like U2 can get away with yet another Bono lecture that lasts like forever about whatever good cause/world problem grinds his gear at that moment. It's what audiences accept that they have to endure until the hits start coming again. Any normal band that still has to fight for audience recognition would never be able to do such a thing.

As for being bitter, who's bitter? Metallica worked very hard to get where they are right now, I'm perfectly fine with that. Incredibly hard even considering that they're a trash metal band, which wasn't exactly mainstream to start with. Kudos for that. If I'm bitter about anything its the Napster incident.

Hi, just to clarify La Macarena is a song by a spanish duo called Los del Rio, they're based in Dos Hermanas (Sevilla). I think the audience boos have to do more from the style of the song than from regionalisms. This latin mixed with flamenco pop-dance pachanga don't represent us at all (the dubious quality of the hit may be another factor), in my country we have an exciting catalog by many artists that would rise the bar.
In the stage some jokes go wrong!

I stand corrected. It was however as funny as hell to hear on the bootleg, as was Edge's reaction to the Dutch audience with Radar Love.

I love it when a band does a cover song at a show. It's really great when they kill it and do it better than the original artist in the original style. A great way to demonstrate their musicianship and show they are not just a one trick pony.
That being said this SUCKS!!!! No musicianship demonstrated here at all. Dude can't even be bothered to memorize the words.

So Metallica is stealing some Prince material... my, my...
JK...
I'm Not a Metallica fan for sure. I think it was a good idea though, just poor execution. Very empty and boring to sit through.
Even the crowd gave up on them and stopped singing LOL!!!

Because then please explain Jason's Mystery bass lines on In Justice, Load/Reload, Napster, St. Anger, Death Magnetic mastering or Lulu?

Oh my dude don't take anything I'm saying as defending Metallica overall whatsoever. In my opinion they've fallen so far off of what they were when I was a kid so as to be an unrecognizable caricature, a cardboard stand-up of what they were or thought they were.

I don't even care about the whole Napster, really. When we were all using Napster voraciously, I didn't really think about the consequences. I do think artists should get paid for their work. But after the way Metallica Corp. treated Jason Newsted, they're dead to me. I don't care much about the politics of a band either (unless the whole point of the band is something awful and ridiculous like White Power Nationalism NeoNazi racist bullshit etc.), but I do very much judge by actions. What Metallica did to Newsted, what EVH did to Michael Anthony (bass players are people, too), what Billy Joel did to Liberty DeVitto puts them in a category of "Musical genius, shitty human being".

I love a good cover....that was not one.
I think that is James' way of showing everyone that he is the talent in that band.

James:
"Go ahead guys, do your cover of Prince, I'm happy to take a quick break...."

Lars:
"I'm not being associated with this, you two are on your own...."

I'm all for people having fun and breaking up the monotony of a tour. But people paid good money for those tickets, so make it something that they will ENJOY. Nobody enjoyed that. Nobody.

This was like watching (and paying for) a sh*tty rehearsal.

I don’t see Metallica as a thrash metal band anymore since the end of the 80’s.
These guys are not thrashers anymore and you can easily guess that their musical tastes are not metal. They lived only on what they did in the 80’s. A lot of people go to the shows to hear the old stuffs. And a lot of the old thrashers simply don’t go to Metallica shows anymore ;-)

I stopped to go to Metallica shows in 2004.

I saw Exodus two years ago and it was still a real thrash metal gig ! (I feel sorry for that girl caught in the furious mosh pit exploding on the first song and also exploding her nose...)

And to be honest, as a (old) thrasher since the 80’s, I don’t want to hear some Prince or other s...tuffs like that at a so-called metal show. And I’m always shocked to see seats at a metal show.

I’m maybe too old....

Any band can and should do a couple covers of other artists, and for the audience, it's an entertaining exercise, but (i) you must inject some of your personality into the song, and (ii) it has to sound good. This is neither...

Any band can and should do a couple covers of other artists, and for the audience, it's an entertaining exercise, but (i) you must inject some of your personality into the song, and (ii) it has to sound good. This is neither...

That said, stylizing a cover should serve the song, not the ego. Pay homage to your influences of course, but it should have the nebulous quality of being "as good as" or whenever possible "better than" the original. But if your cover makes people boo and cry to the heavens "Dear God, make it stop!" then you're doing something very wrong.

A good example of a band that knows how to do covers is CHVRCHES. Everything they touch is a-freakin-mazing. No joke. They've covered everything between Whitney Houston (It's Not Right But It's OK) to The 1975 (Somebody Else) and damn if their covers aren't as good as or better than the originals. The Arctic Monkeys song they covered, "Do I Wanna Know" will lay you out flat.

But I'm biased, CHVRCHES is a guilty pleasure.

Reactions: BBN
It takes a certain something to completely nail a cover and make it a contribution to music. Faith no more did some really good ones live years ago

Back
Top Bottom