What to use for band practice w/ FM9 (hard rock; loud drummer)

ncorrao

Hey there,

So I currently have a Helix with a Dunlop pre-amp and Marshall cab, but I'm looking to convert to the FM9 Turbo AND remove the Dunlop pre-amp/Marshall cab to best utilize the FM9/the cabs within. That said, I play in a hard rock band, our drummer can be fairly. For band practice, what speakers would be recommended to project my guitar in this setting since I'm going to go completely digital? Not looking for crappy sound either, but also don't want to drop $1K+ on speakers. I was looking at the JBL MKII 6.5 inch or 8 inch studio monitors (pair), but have no idea if either would be loud enough.

Any suggestions?

Appreciate the help!

I think you would need expect to spend “cabinet level money” to get “cabinet level sound”.

Several 10-12” hefty drivers typically with lots of watts; I use around a kilowatt.

what do you use?

(2) Friedman 2x12s w/ V30s in stereo. I also use HS8s for frfr recording. Matrix gt1000fx amp for axefx3.

But this is an older rig I’ve had for 7-8 yrs.

If I was rebuilding today, I would look at some of those cool EV 12 frfr monitor solutions mentioned here, or red sound MF (Marco Fantone) series, something that can hang easily at 100 db in the room w abilities to pass >108db

The headrush will probably be loud enough for your intended use case. Whether or not it will sound good is another matter. I don't have a ton of experience with the various FRFR options, but the top choices I see people mention are the Meyer sound MJF-210, EV PXM-12MP, Atomic CLR, and QSC CP8.

Nearfield studio monitors are not meant for band practice volume levels, so I don't think you'd be happy with that setup for your intended use case (they are great for at home use though).

I have a Headrush 112. Still use it for backing tracks and house music. A good power amp and Celestion F12 sounds better to my ears. But for the price the HR will get over drums no problem and I had some excellent tones out of it. It needs to be off the floor because it’s a boomy speaker. And the tweeter in it is just brutal. Needs hi cut.

Back
Top Bottom