What to do when having In Ear Monitor Issues?

Jipps0525

Power User
Played a gig yesterday on a big outdoor stage and had a lot of static and cutting out with my in ears. I use a Shure PSM300 and shure SE535s. Happened to a couple other of my bandmates who I believe also use the PSM300. Where I stood on stage was on the opposite side of my PSM300 and when I moved closer the issues didn’t completely go away but it improved. Normally I don’t have issues with my system. But living and learning here so I’m creating this thread to see what I can do to troubleshoots issues as they come up and to prevent stuff like that.

Have had issues with this also using Shure products. Not saying it's Shure, just that it's all I've used at a few places. I noticed this the most when I am using both a receiver pack for my in ears AND a transmitter pack for guitar. Seems to be worse when I'm standing in front of a wireless mic also or behind a vocalist using the wireless mic. My only solution has been to move over a few feet either direction and get out of the cross fire what is disrupting the signal. Have had this at two larger Churches that were going more of a silent stage/ears/etc...

1) Church A - Upgraded to all Shure PSM 900's and not sure Mic models, then we started having these 'cutout / static' issues. They tweaked and made it better. But people had issues quite a bit and learn to work around it
2) Second Church I played out. Zero issues at first. Then one day they upgraded to all Shure PSM 900's and the same mics as the other place. Now, everyone having the same issues. They tweaked a bit and it's better. But on occasion people still have cutout/static issues.

Sorry for a non-technical answer and really no solution. My thoughts are, both places went from 'fewer' transmitters/receivers to just about everyone on wireless ears/mics/instruments/etc...

Now, my other thought is, the frequencies being used in these newer devices maybe are more prone to interference maybe? Not sure. I know it sucks especially when stages are getting to be very quiet now. You can't really pull ears out and hear yourself that well. I've just got into the habit of moving around a bit until I find the safe zone.

Have had issues with this also using Shure products. Not saying it's Shure, just that it's all I've used at a few places. I noticed this the most when I am using both a receiver pack for my in ears AND a transmitter pack for guitar. Seems to be worse when I'm standing in front of a wireless mic also or behind a vocalist using the wireless mic. My only solution has been to move over a few feet either direction and get out of the cross fire what is disrupting the signal. Have had this at two larger Churches that were going more of a silent stage/ears/etc...

1) Church A - Upgraded to all Shure PSM 900's and not sure Mic models, then we started having these 'cutout / static' issues. They tweaked and made it better. But people had issues quite a bit and learn to work around it
2) Second Church I played out. Zero issues at first. Then one day they upgraded to all Shure PSM 900's and the same mics as the other place. Now, everyone having the same issues. They tweaked a bit and it's better. But on occasion people still have cutout/static issues.

Sorry for a non-technical answer and really no solution. My thoughts are, both places went from 'fewer' transmitters/receivers to just about everyone on wireless ears/mics/instruments/etc...

Now, my other thought is, the frequencies being used in these newer devices maybe are more prone to interference maybe? Not sure. I know it sucks especially when stages are getting to be very quiet now. You can't really pull ears out and hear yourself that well. I've just got into the habit of moving around a bit until I find the safe zone.
Interesting but my bass player has a PSM300 and a slightly better pack and he didn’t have issues. I’m very tempted to just invest in a higher end unit overall but I need to do more research on it. I’m also thinking about running a longer cable and having my PSM300 right next to me at every gig. I couldn’t have been more than 50 feet from my PSM300 though snd the drummer who was closer also had the same issues. I’m thinking it was def something in that specific area that messed it up for a few people but I have no way of knowing for sure. And I kept trying to rescan with my pack and it would only pull up the same group/channel every time

We were having some issues with interference using the same system. I started scanning for frequencies on the packs at the different locations the band members would be standing on stage and this seems to have solved the issue for us. Just remember to go to the receiver and sync it to the body pack.

We were having some issues with interference using the same system. I started scanning for frequencies on the packs at the different locations the band members would be standing on stage and this seems to have solved the issue for us. Just remember to go to the receiver and sync it to the body pack.
Yeah I synced it but still issues. I think it was a disrupted group and channel but for some reason I couldn’t scan for a different group or channel

Yeah I synced it but still issues. I think it was a disrupted group and channel but for some reason I couldn’t scan for a different group or channel
Do you use an external antenna? That helps for big stages.
I don't use Shure for IEMs, but they do have a frequency finder that may give you recommendations:
https://www.shure.com/en-US/support/tools/frequency-finder
Some folks have luck with an app called FreqFinder.
Try to position your transmitter with a direct line of site to where you are standing on stage.

wireless is tough. if there's too much interference in the area, you can't really do anything. i had a regular gig where zero wireless would work. as a performer and sound tech, we tried all major brands, and all qualities. nothing worked, even with paddles. it was just a strange spot. move about 30 feet away from the stage and it worked. but oh well that's not where the stage is.

i bring a hardwired setup for moments like that. easiest to go mono that way: single XLR from the Aux to a Behringer PM1 - a small belt pack with a single XLR input, 1/8" headphone out and a volume knob, passive. but if you have the right y cable, you can go in stereo over that single XLR: 2 aux out to XLR Female Y to single XLR male, regular XLR to extend to the PM1.

for stereo over a single XLR to the PM1, you need an XLR Insert Cable. very important that it's an insert, and not a standard splitter. i bought it from here, but there are probably other places to get it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/151300270070 - Male to dual Female Insert. i got the shortest length, because that's on the Mixer side, then a regular XLR to extend it to my belt pack of any length, i get full stereo over 1 XLR cable due to the Insert style Y-Cable, sending Left and Right down 2 of the 3 wires.

just a single cable to a small belt pack, no interference, volume control, super convenient.

Last edited:
I have had wireless issues for years with interference and multipath.
These were 97% eliminated by using proper cabling. Specifically antenna cable. The crap that comes bundled with wireless gear has major loss for every foot of cable. I replaced ALL the cabling, event short interconnect with pro-grade, 1/2" diameter 50 Ohm coax cable and the issues are basically history.
To ALL wireless issues, I recommend FIRST to handle the crap cable on your systems.
If you don't use antennae, also realize the stick stuff provided by Shure is omni directional and the majority of your signal is sent where you're not. proper blade or Helicoidal antennae are far superior.

Do you use an external antenna? That helps for big stages.
I don't use Shure for IEMs, but they do have a frequency finder that may give you recommendations:
https://www.shure.com/en-US/support/tools/frequency-finder
Some folks have luck with an app called FreqFinder.
Try to position your transmitter with a direct line of site to where you are standing on stage.
This is good to know. I don’t really understand how to apply this though. Since my body pack, every time I scanned, would only pick up the same group and channel. I didn’t know how to manually change group or channel

wireless is tough. if there's too much interference in the area, you can't really do anything. i had a regular gig where zero wireless would work. as a performer and sound tech, we tried all major brands, and all qualities. nothing worked, even with paddles. it was just a strange spot. move about 30 feet away from the stage and it worked. but oh well that's not where the stage is.

i bring a hardwired setup for moments like that. easiest to go mono that way: single XLR from the Aux to a Behringer PM1 - a small belt pack with a single XLR input, 1/8" headphone out and a volume knob, passive. but if you have the right y cable, you can go in stereo over that single XLR: 2 aux out to XLR Female Y to single XLR male, regular XLR to extend to the PM1.

for stereo over a single XLR to the PM1, you need an XLR Insert Cable. very important that it's an insert, and not a standard splitter. i bought it from here, but there are probably other places to get it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/151300270070 - Male to dual Female Insert. i got the shortest length, because that's on the Mixer side, then a regular XLR to extend it to my belt pack of any length, i get full stereo over 1 XLR cable due to the Insert style Y-Cable, sending Left and Right down 2 of the 3 wires.

just a single cable to a small belt pack, no interference, volume control, super convenient.
That’s a bad story! But I’m not convinced it was the area since two of my other band mates were fine. One sound guy I spoke to at a gig recently said he uses a pack that can connect to the internet or something like that and then uses main stage to scan for the cleanest signal. I’d be okay with investing some money in a better overall system for better overall sound and less interference but it sounds like I may randomly still run into some troubles?

I have had wireless issues for years with interference and multipath.
These were 97% eliminated by using proper cabling. Specifically antenna cable. The crap that comes bundled with wireless gear has major loss for every foot of cable. I replaced ALL the cabling, event short interconnect with pro-grade, 1/2" diameter 50 Ohm coax cable and the issues are basically history.
To ALL wireless issues, I recommend FIRST to handle the crap cable on your systems.
If you don't use antennae, also realize the stick stuff provided by Shure is omni directional and the majority of your signal is sent where you're not. proper blade or Helicoidal antennae are far superior.
So I can replace the antenna on my psm300?? What other cables are you referring to though? My psm300 only has the power cable and the line in from our mixer

Edit: Is something like this what you’re referring to? https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UA874US--shure-ua874-active-directional-antenna-470-698-mhz

Last edited:
So I can replace the antenna on my psm300?? What other cables are you referring to though? My psm300 only has the power cable and the line in from our mixer

Edit: Is something like this what you’re referring to? https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UA874US--shure-ua874-active-directional-antenna-470-698-mhz
This is the cable I now use (shorter length)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-MADE-RG...C-Male-coax-cable-100-FT-/252829113415?_ul=IL

This is the antennae I use for my PSM900
https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/accessories/ha-8089

It's a lot of money to invest. But this solved all my wireless problems.

On the other hand, I also tested the Lectrosonics Duet system and used only their whip antennae. No interference at all. Just get ready to fork out some hard cash. Sound amazing though.

This is the cable I now use (shorter length)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-MADE-RG...C-Male-coax-cable-100-FT-/252829113415?_ul=IL

This is the antennae I use for my PSM900
https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/accessories/ha-8089

It's a lot of money to invest. But this solved all my wireless problems.

On the other hand, I also tested the Lectrosonics Duet system and used only their whip antennae. No interference at all. Just get ready to fork out some hard cash. Sound amazing though.
Does that cable go to the back of your psm900? Mine takes a line Input

Id be willing to invest In the good antenna. Can I just pop out the stock antenna of my PSM300 and put the new one in?

Get a 50’ extension cable. For those oh shit moments. I was playing in Detroit at St. Andrews hall and was getting a pirate radio station coming through my ears playing smooth r&b while trying to play our stuff was fun. Of course sound check was fine.

Id be willing to invest In the good antenna. Can I just pop out the stock antenna of my PSM300 and put the new one in?
It's an antenna cable. Yes, you remove the included antenna with a twist. Attach the antenna cable to the same jack. Attach the antenna on the other end of the antenna cable. Put the antenna on a mic stand.

Last edited:
Get a 50’ extension cable. For those oh shit moments. I was playing in Detroit at St. Andrews hall and was getting a pirate radio station coming through my ears playing smooth r&b while trying to play our stuff was fun. Of course sound check was fine.
So you just use an extension cable to allow your iem system to reach where you stand?

It's an antennae cable. Yes, you remove the included antenna with a twist. Attach the antenna cable to the same jack. Attach the antenna on the other end of the antenna cable. Put the antenna on a mic stand.
Hmm okay will look into this. I don’t use a mic stand on stage because I don’t sing lmao

So you just use an extension cable to allow your iem system to reach where you stand?
keep in mind there is a minimum distance to be away from the transmitter as well - usually 3 feet. so i don't think the suggestion was to put the transmitter antenna on the mic stand you sing from (if you sang). just to put it on "something" that is higher up and out of the rack case.

keep in mind there is a minimum distance to be away from the transmitter as well - usually 3 feet. so i don't think the suggestion was to put the transmitter antenna on the mic stand you sing from (if you sang). just to put it on "something" that is higher up and out of the rack case.
Correct. "A" mic stand, not your mic stand. As Chris notes, you can put it on anything or anywhere that gives you an improved sight line to it.

The Antenna is connected with a BNC connector. Push and twist to remove it. If you use a cable to extend the antenna, use a pro cable like I recommend above. Bringing it close may or may not handle the issue.

Back
Top Bottom