What speaker do you use

I just ordered a Roland jc40 as an all around stereo grab and go and as a studio sound source. With headphone out.
At first I was not crazy about it, but starting to get it dialed in. Plenty of power, very open sounding, and a clean pallet to use the AX8 through. Liking it more daily.

Last edited:
I'm running a CLR (non-neo) and recently wanted to pickup a budget (lighter) FRFR option for stereo at home and/or gigs where the CLR was overkill or not worth potential spill or damage, so I grabbed the new Alto TS212 for $299, 550W RMS 1100W peak, very light, only about 2 days in but for the money its a great option.

Is anybody using JBL's? I have a JBL PRX400 that sounds great but it's passive. I would love to try the powered version.

Last edited:
I just addd a friedman asm-12. Sounds pretty good but has a bit more bass (presumably to give a 4x12 kick) it feels like a bigger speaker and with a bit of dialling in over the next few gigs I think it will work nicely.

Have you looked at the NX10c? I saw that yesterday in a thread in the amp and cab section. Pretty cool little speaker 10" coaxial, 300 watts program in a 25Lb package $500.
I did try it myself at local L&M, sound ok but this thing can't handle band volume, I've push it to peaking limite and that can't make it with a normal loud drummer.

Is anybody using JBL's? I have a JBL PRX400 that sounds great but it's passive. I would love to try the powered version.
Yep, I have a pair of SRX-812P's and they are fantastic - very versatile too - they get a bit of use as my Acoustic PA as well.
I was at rehearsal last Monday night just thinking how good the sound was, much better than I've ever had from my Mesa amps.

I used to have EON 315's (avoid them at all costs!) and then PRX615M's.
I didn't have my AX8 before I sold the PRX's, but I suspect you'd be quite happy with either the PRX700 or SRX800's and the AX8.

I'm a big fan of active speakers - especially new ones with all the processing built in.

Yep, I have a pair of SRX-812P's and they are fantastic - very versatile too - they get a bit of use as my Acoustic PA as well.
I was at rehearsal last Monday night just thinking how good the sound was, much better than I've ever had from my Mesa amps.

I used to have EON 315's (avoid them at all costs!) and then PRX615M's.
I didn't have my AX8 before I sold the PRX's, but I suspect you'd be quite happy with either the PRX700 or SRX800's and the AX8.

I'm a big fan of active speakers - especially new ones with all the processing built in.

I was considering a small amp like the ISP Stealth to power my PRX400, but I guess I should just put that money toward a powered speaker. Now I am using the AX8 into the fx return of a Mesa Mark V:25 either through the JBL or through a Mesa 1x12 with cab sims off. Either way it sounds great. Still exploring but am pretty much in tone heaven.

I am enjoying my JBL Eon 610s. They are light, great sounding and can accept 2 connections for L/R to a single speaker. Bluetooth control via iPad is good and up to 4 Eon speakers can be individually set. As part of my PA gear, I also have EV ZLX 12s which I could swap out and test. Never used them with the AX8 yet but on my Boss gear, I prefer the JBL. Maybe the EVs better with the AX8? Hope not. Small and light with great sound. I'm too old and don't miss the era of big speakers, subs, and 4 x 12" guitar or 2 x 15" bass cabinets!

JBL Eon 610's look good on paper. What about 10"vs 12". Would the 12" not be better?
Most people would probably agree that the 12" is better but I prefer the small 10" speaker. They sound tighter and less boomy to my taste. It would be interesting to test my EV ZLX12 and compare them to the JBL Eon 610s. I can't really describe it but find the sound a little more focused but am hardly an audiophile. I used to own a Roland GR55 and at the time, a friend had me try his collection of QSC speakers. I tested the K8, K10, and K12's and ended up liking the K10s best and had it not been for economic restraint, would have purchased QSC K10 instead of the JBL. Very subjective and in my late 50's, my hearing may not be as good as someone younger. So what the heck, get the best I can afford and the lightest form factor. Those Atomic CLRs look good too but buying FRFR speakers can be an endless money pit!
Besides, if I'm not using my PA, I also have a pair of 12" subs for extra oomph. :)

I did try it myself at local L&M, sound ok but this thing can't handle band volume, I've push it to peaking limite and that can't make it with a normal loud drummer.

What type of music and did you use it as a monitor or BL support? Spec's claim 122 db continuous... that's pretty loud! Even if it was 110 db your ears would be ringing after a few minutes of that.

What would be a good suggestion. Normally I just run out of the mains and use in ears but I am needing a decent speaker at home so I can tweak settings etc. I thought about studio speakers but would be nice to have one that I could take to smaller club shows to use also when we don't use our own mains and gear.

I have a crappy Kustom right now that is 50 w but would like to find something that sounds like it will actually sound when we use the big mackie mains or whatever. Would also be nice to find a way to use headphones or whatever at home with it some how so I can not blow everyone out around me.

I use Presonus Eris 8's which I think are a great match for the AX8, and are not too expensive, but they are not made for the road. I use a Line 6 L2T live, but only one due to cost.

What type of music and did you use it as a monitor or BL support? Spec's claim 122 db continuous... that's pretty loud! Even if it was 110 db your ears would be ringing after a few minutes of that.
rock volume, around 110, it's just can't stand the lows, I did some chugging palm mute and the speakers fall face first in the grill, with no bottom ( thin Marshall type of sound) you maybe can make it.
if you ever buy it to play a bar with no PA, it's won't make it.

A pair of Presonus Eris E5. Very satisfied from what I get out of these $300 boxes. Haven't giged with AX8 yet.

I've been using two Jbl Lsr 305's. No complaints thus far. And the wifey is happy now that I've stopped using the tubes. Win all around.

I got lucky I guess. I had an old Beringer 5 ch rack PA head (very small) and two small speaker cabs with 10in and tweeter. I thought what the heck and put the AX8 on that and WOW WOW it sounded so sweet. I think because the speakers were reloaded years ago by a guy and he put something nice it there not sure what they are very sealed up

Back
Top Bottom