What sites or forums do you use when searching for used gear?

Dpoirier

Fractal Fanatic
Just wondering what's available out there in addition to the obvious local Kijiji and Craigslist (and eBay, of course)... are there any great forums with a lot of traffic on their "for sale" area?

Reverb.com is my new preferred site. Easy to barter on price, no sniping like eBay. Prices don't look great on the surface, but they are normally negotiable. Great site for selling too. Much lower fees than eBay and it works. Sold about $10k worth of gear there in 2016.

Reverb is much harder to find deals on than others. IMHO. People tend to ask some price based on what they paid for it rather than what it is worth and used items are mixed with resellers using it as a new marketplace. When I am picking something up that is used I expect a deep discount unless it is rare/vintage and even then I tend to be looking for deals.

Deals on vintage stuff (those "pawn shop finds" or craigslist "scores") are not going to happen on Reverb unless it is a lightning strike because the traffic there is so high that a knowledgeable buyer is instantly going to to grab it ahead of you.

Since I already have too much gear; I am generally ONLY looking for bargains. I could stop buying gear forever and be just fine, so my viewpoint may not be typical or overly focused on getting unusually low prices on working, used, stuff.

If I am selling it is first choice though. It's a seller's market.

Depends on what I am looking for. I either buy from the mylespaul forum where I have been a member for a while now so I trust it. Or reverb, a lot of sellers are willing to haggle if you try. Just use the make offer button. But forums are the best bang for buck because process tend to be lower since there aren't as many fees involved. But it's not as safe as reverb, unless you really know the forum and have the experience to stay away from the shaft deals. Always deal with sellers that have a lot of history on the forum your on.

Reverb is much harder to find deals on than others. IMHO
By your definition below, this is true.

used items are mixed with resellers using it as a new marketplace
You can limit your searches to used items... there's a big "Used/New" filter at the top. You can also show completed transactions and get an idea of the actual going rate for what you are buying/selling.

I expect a deep discount unless it is rare/vintage
That's why Reverb is not for you.

Sellers on Reverb generally know what something is worth, and when they don't, you can always make an offer and haggle it down. I also find you're much MUCH less likely to find scammers on Reverb than anywhere else for audio gear -- it's gear heads selling to gear heads. If you expect to pay [or sell something for] a fair market price, then Reverb is for you.

As a seller, I find that if you price an item fairly then it moves VERY fast.

Reverb, and actually GC Used is pretty good too. You usually can't haggle, but you do get 30 days (or maybe even 45 now?). You can't get as much info from the listings as you can from Reverb, but if you call the store you can (hopefully) get someone knowledgeable enough that you can get some questions answered.

Reverb is great to buy and sell. Lower percentages when selling and responsive and friendly customer service if you need it.

I also like reverb because its all straight up buy it now or best offers... I don't need to stress over an auction and wait... my gear OCD doesn't like that.

I also enjoy Jemsite and have been a long time member there. I am also on Jackson Charvel Forum, but that forum is not always as friendly, and the classifieds on JFC are about as active as a cemetery.

I don't "love" reverb but I like it...

I really 90% of the sellers- esp the brick and mortar guys because they're not competitive...and sometimes stupid.

I don't understand why (take any mxr pedal) you can find from 10 sellers for lets say $50... that's like $69 new.... a mom and pop music store will throw on reverb for like $75+15 shipping. And I've seen some things like small boss pedals... high price and $25 for shipping.

Like why put it up if you don't wanna sell it?

Back
Top Bottom