What real amp(s) have you kept?

If I ever buy another modern amp it will be a Two Rock. It's my favorite of all those I've played in Cliff's mighty collection. The Oahu at Mad Oak is probably my favorite little combo.

A friend of mine got a little Oahu 1-12" combo from a thrift store for something like $20 bucks maybe 20 years ago. It is an unbelievable little amp and sounds absolutely fantastic for slide in particular.

Sold most of my amps but I still have:

Carol Ann OD2r
Carr Rambler (just picked this one up)

I will probably get a Carol Ann OD50 Custom (Texas Special) and an SMS Twin Reverb preamp sometime in 2014

With the AxeFX I have no more need for high end amps. I keep a Fender Mustang II in the bedroom for light practice and a Fender Blues Jr. as a simple grab and ago amp.

The Oahu at Mad Oak is probably my favorite little combo.

I think that little amp is a favorite of Keith Richard as well.

Picture183.jpg.w560h420.jpg

This is a timely discussion as GAS has set in a little bit for getting another tube amp. Sold my last tube amp a few years ago when I went digital. I love my Axe2, but I sometimes wonder if I am missing something or possibly forgetting what a real tube amp sounds and feels like. I've toyed with getting a small combo like a Mesa/Boogie Express Plus 5:25 or even dirt cheap Jet City Amplification JCA2212C ($299 on sale) just to have one around. But then I think I will get one and realize it was all in my head and I just wasted money on something I will never use :ambivalence:

So for those who still have both, is it worth going back down this rabbit hole?

I still have a Line 6 Flextone XL-II that I use for a stage monitor with my band. I also have a Mesa LoneStar Special that has been in my studio since day 1. Never gigged out with it. I'd like to sell it. Just never seem to use it. I always just go for the Fractal FX-II.

Other than my own designs, Ive kept my Bogner Ecstacy 101B (just because it's fully loaded and does some things the Axe models doesn't), my Gearu modded 1981 JCM800 50W, my Triaxis/5050, my Randall RG80ES and my block letter 5150. Most days it Axefx but there are those days that the tubes call to me and I have to scratch that itch :)

63 Fender Vibro Champ Amp. Christmas present from my Dad along with a Sivertone guitar that I still have.

I'll never sell either one. All others have been sold.

I have them all still. I really like amps and my pedal boards. I like everything about having them and using them, even the heavy ones.
That's why I like my Fractal, it is so much like my Amps but at my fingers and it stays put in the studio.

I feel really blessed.

Cheers,

RG

I always like to have a good tube amp in the house, many times my Axe along with all the live gear stays at rehearsal, or is traveling by truck or plane to some place, and it's nice to have a good sounding amp around, my favorite lately is the Carol Ann Tucana 3, what a great sounding amp!!

Back
Top Bottom