What real amp(s) have you kept?

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
I have a 4x12 Marshall cab itching for a head to sit on it and a port city 2x12. I love my Axe and will never part with it, but want to get a head of some sort that can do classic rock and metal to blues.
I am not much of a collector. If I am not using it and can get $ for something else I sell. What amps have you be unable to part with?

Although u have no axe II, I originally sold my axe II for a mesa mark v. I now have a mark IV, but will get another mark v someday.

My 2 favorite amps are a Marshall YJM100 and a Splawn Quickrod. I played through both of them today, as well as the Axe Fx. Some days I don't touch the amps, other days it's all amps. Variety is... ;)

IMG_3972.jpgIMG_3973.jpg

Last edited:
Expand brother......The YJM- do I need 50 of them like he has live each night on stage? Kidding,.. which do you like best and why?

Expand brother......The YJM- do I need 50 of them like he has live each night on stage? Kidding,.. which do you like best and why?

Well, the YJM is pure classic Marshall the minute you plug in, but it's like a sleeper hot rod with no evidence of all the modern features when looking at it from the front (love that). I guess the YJM would have to be my favorite due to he EPA, but the QR does the VH I&II/80's metal tones sooo good and that's where it excels. Do I need either of them, nope. Do I want them, :mrgreen

Last edited:
Original Egnater ie4 modded by Bruce. 2 4x12 cabs loaded with vintage 30's. I sold the Rivera Hammer 120 & VHT 2:50:2 after I bought an Ultra 4 years ago.
Now I'm using an AxeFXII.

Well, the YJM is pure classic Marshall the minute you plug in, but it's like a sleeper hot rod with no evidence of all the modern features when looking at it from the front. I guess it would have to be my favorite due to he EPA, but the QR does the VH I&II/80's metal tones sooo good and that's where it excels. Do I need either of them, no. Do I want them, :mrgreen

Which would you choose if you had to?

Which would you choose if you had to?

If I had to choose, it would be the YJM for sure. I sold my 1st one, and after I finished kicking myself in the ass, I bought another one right before the prices went crazy. It's hard to explain, but there's this "direct" connection when playing through it. I also like amps that don't need outboard pedals, and it has the essentials built in (Boost, Reverb, Noise Gate). The EPA allows you to play at reasonabe volumes, and the autobias keeps the tubes in check. While the QR does not have these features, it has great tone and is more easily attainable (if that matters).

Last edited:
my baby....... 1978 Marshall JMP 2203 Master Model Mk II 100 watt Super Lead - all original.
I also have a perfectly matching cab, JCM800 Lead Series Angled 4x12 with original G12-65 Celestions.

bought the pair used on consignment at a small town music store for $600, 25 years ago.

Also can't seem to part with my ADA MP2 midi tube guitar pre-amp.

I've been completely jonesing for a mesa stiletto duece lately. Not sure what's wrong with me... :)

Don't. I had one. It weighs a ton, and you absolutely must use it cranked to get anything good out of it. And it's able to peel paint off the walls when cranked, just like you'd expect from a Mesa. I didn't last a month with a Stiletto. That having been said, cranked it did sound pretty good. Then again, my Mark V sounds good at any volume.

Kept all of them no reason to get rid of them .
Mini Rectifier w 1/12 Mesa cab . Triple Rectifier ( two channel ) w Mesa Road King 4/12 cab
Fender Blues Deluxe combo , 1978 Marshall jmp 2203 master model Mk II 100 watt. lost the original cab along the way though sigh* its 99.99 % axe II now though I can get all the tones of the amps +++ with the AXE .
I like to keep the amps around makes my room look like a " studio " + my cat likes to sit on top of my Mesa and look out the window at birds.

I have a 4x12 Marshall cab itching for a head to sit on it and a port city 2x12. I love my Axe and will never part with it, but want to get a head of some sort that can do classic rock and metal to blues.
I am not much of a collector. If I am not using it and can get $ for something else I sell. What amps have you be unable to part with?

The Lee Jackson XLS1000 head is the ticket. It will do all of that in spades no drive pedals needed. It was the one head that I thought I would never sell until the Axe came along.

What is the deal with finding these? Was it a quick run and now they are no longer produced?

They were a limited run of 1500, and supposedly only 500 of those were shipped to the US. I didn't realize that until after selling my 1st one. I actually contacted Marshall and asked if there was any chance they would do another run, since they were going over well. They said no, so I bought my 2nd one ASAP. The AFD100 (Slash Sig.) was also a limited run. As far as I know, those were the only 2 amps with the EPA to date.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom