What pedals do you all use with FM9?

i'm one of the oddballs that uses basically a full pedalboard with my fm9. but i didn't purchase the fm9 to be an all in one solution anyway, it was just the best value within the budget i had when looking for a modeler. plus i'm not a gigging musician so practicality isn't really an issue for me. it's almost embarrassing to list everything out but here it is anyway:

morningstar ml5:
ramble fx twin bender​
modded 90s rat​
archer ikon​
pog2 with midi​
vick audio 1861​
suhr buffer output 1 > fm9 input 1
suhr buffer output 2 > red panda particle v2 > count to 5 > drolo stamme[n] > pladask baklengs > fm9 input 2
fm9 loop 3 > deluxe memory man xo modded with 4 chips & oscillation switch

yes, i am aware that i have a problem.
Hi,
Questions:
1) what’s the advantage of using a buffer? Are you using Out2 XLR to TS cables into pedals?

2) Any sound problems or tips using Out2/In2 as a pedal loop?

Thank you

tonex, tc sentry and an Eventide micro pitch

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
Questions:
1) what’s the advantage of using a buffer? Are you using Out2 XLR to TS cables into pedals?

2) Any sound problems or tips using Out2/In2 as a pedal loop?

Thank you

1) in my situation i'm using the buffer to create a wet/dry split for effects that are running before the fm9. dry goes to fm9 input 1 and wet goes to fm9 input 2. i am not using the fm9 output 2 for any of this.

2) same as above, i am not using the fm9 out 2 / in 2 as a pedal loop. i'm using fm9 out 3 for that purpose and it works wonderfully. fm9 input 2 is for my wet effects that come before the fm9.

not sure why you need a Suhr buffer pedal at all IMO. The input is 1Meg and the out is 150 ohms. Coming off your last pedal going into the Fm9, it wouldn't be 1MOhm, would it?

FreqOut (before the input) for on-demand feedback at any volume, always just a footswitch away!

And Trio+, for capturing ideas....jamming along to them later with the added drums and bass giving me a sense for how things might sound in a band context...
is there anything in the fm9 that will avoid using another pedal and still give that controlled feedback? id love a dependable solution.

not sure why you need a Suhr buffer pedal at all IMO. The input is 1Meg and the out is 150 ohms. Coming off your last pedal going into the Fm9, it wouldn't be 1MOhm, would it?
the suhr buffer splits the signal after the dry effects. one output of the buffer goes to fm9 input 1 and the other output of the buffer goes to the wet effects, which then go to fm9 input 2.

1) in my situation i'm using the buffer to create a wet/dry split for effects that are running before the fm9. dry goes to fm9 input 1 and wet goes to fm9 input 2. i am not using the fm9 output 2 for any of this.

2) same as above, i am not using the fm9 out 2 / in 2 as a pedal loop. i'm using fm9 out 3 for that purpose and it works wonderfully. fm9 input 2 is for my wet effects that come before the fm9.
Thank you for your response; seems like a cool idea to do it that way I recently ran XLR to 1/4 from Out2 to several stereo pedals and then back to In2. Once the levels were set right and with killdry, it works fine.

Thank you for your response; seems like a cool idea to do it that way I recently ran XLR to 1/4 from Out2 to several stereo pedals and then back to In2. Once the levels were set right and with killdry, it works fine.
Should have enough saved up to grab an fm9 soon and Ive got a few pedals I already own and many more I plan to add. Already have a Freqout, a Source Audio Ultrawave, a Dunlop 95q wah, and multi fx wise I have a Boss SY1000, a gp10 plus a headrush mx5. I still want add an attack decay or 2 plus a ravish sitar, a Jam pedals Seagull and a Tonex but Id still want a few favorite fuzz pedals since they clean up ok with my guitar volume control rolled down. Also from Meris LVX, Mercury X and Hedra, A Neo Ventilator or a real leslie, more source audio: LA Lady, Vertigo, True Spring, Ventris and Nemesis, Strymon Volante and Timeline plus some Poly Beebo, Empress and Eventide stuff as well. Probably never get it all but you can wish.

Sennheiser wireless and Digitech Drop before the input. Drop because I want to use dual detune (or other pitch effects) and we only have the one pitch block.

Keeley Halo in loop 3. I'm sure the FM9 could cop that vibe but with room on the board, a spare outlet on the power supply, and an unused input/output 3, I figured I may as well throw it on there.
Now it's the wireless, Drop, and an HX One.

Strobo-Stomp Mini Tuner before the input for tuning acoustics a variety of tunings. I'm not even sure the Mini works correctly, just adds to the warmth and appeal, though.

Sixstring, assuming this was discussed in the forum, would you be able to direct me to the thread?

Thanks.
@Paultergeist,

Try this; it's easier to build and doesn't require extraneous effects or CPU use...I'll be here Monday afternoon if you might need any assistance...

I use a momentary control switch (CS1) and a modifier with an attack of 200ms and release of 500ms. Stepping on the switch ramps up the feedback and holds it full on until releasing the switch, after which it decays in 500ms. The effect block to use is either the optical or JFET sustainer compressor.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/sustainer-issue-optical-jfet.200997/

You could experiment with attack/release times to taste. (As much as 300ms and 800ms will work as well)

Last edited:
EVH phase 90. Something about it still just sounds more right to me.
Yes! I dialed in something I'm ok with, but my Phase 90 DOES sound different/better. It's the only fx I have a gripe with, but not enough to justify carrying it around.

Back
Top Bottom