what order do you chain your blocks?

my OCD goes crazy whenever i look at other people's layouts :)

Well, I do it right and everyone else does it wrong so I'm not sure what you're stressing about. :D

That layout is sort of trying to cop Trey's real-world layout -- so the rotary is mic'ed on a side channel and isn't run through the time-based effects -- which makes it a touch wonky.

BUT STILL THE MOST CORRECT-I-EST! :D

There will never be a general consensus, cause in Axe FX you're free to do what you want, like to put delay after the cab, which in real live environment wouldn't be possible. I was told that here in forum and it's true. My personal chain goes like this:

(comp) --> (wah) --> drive --> (PEQ) --> amp --> cab --> (delay) --> (reverb)

Sometimes I use other FX before or after the amp/cab. Delay and reverb sound maybe clearer after in the chain. I rarely use paralel chains.

Pretty much what mine looks like, minus the peq and add a chorus and a pitch block after the cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I find that placing the delay block before the amp sounds and feels more organic. The repeats become part of the sound instead of an addition to the sound.

The downside to this arrangement is that the repeats will not smoothly ring out over an x/y switch of the amp block.

Obviously down to individual taste, but I much prefer time-based effects (delay, chorus, verb, etc) in the loop of an amp (in a traditional rig) or post amp (or cab) if possible.

The reason is that the character of those effects is altered by distortion...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17XLgrid.png

I didn't see this comment in the thread, so sorry if redundant and I missed it. One consideration in what goes before what might be stereo vs mono. I think the mono block (comp, wah, amp, mono cab, etc) can collapse the stereo effect (delay, reverb, chorus, etc) to mono and cause potential phase issues. So I end up with my mono blocks first, stereo after. Short of that about anything goes, and there are several workarounds to that, like using two amps panned L and R.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like all modulations after the cab block because I like stereo. Whammy before amp, parallel pitch after

Here's my basic layout to cover Nirvana songs.
1897945_10151866454587245_1711310561_n.jpg

Ha ha! I almost want to try that just to hear what it would sound like. (Thinks of Marty McFly catapulting through the air...) :mrgreen

Post the preset?

LOL

Ha ha! I almost want to try that just to hear what it would sound like. (Thinks of Marty McFly catapulting through the air...) :mrgreen

Post the preset?

LOL
When I posted that on facebook I don't remember when, someone asked for the preset :mrgreen
I installed an old Axe-Edit version to be able to do this, working offline. Online, you'll need the power of three Axe-Fx for that ;)

The following layout is not my most complex one, but I like it because of how I re-routed the amp path (played simultaneously with the synth path in drone mode) using the filter blocks (muted when bypassed). I wanted to use the enhancer only on the synths (scenes 2 to 4) or on the lead (scene 5) ; in scenes 1 to 4, the AMP block goes through output 4 (and through the reverb block), and in scene 5, through output 1 (and through the reverb too) :

Ashes.jpg

However, a typical one for me would look like this one, although I don't usually have compressor or modulation in my high gain presets :

Typical.jpg

When I posted that on facebook I don't remember when, someone asked for the preset :mrgreen
I installed an old Axe-Edit version to be able to do this, working offline. Online, you'll need the power of three Axe-Fx for that ;)
Only 3? :D :D

Depending on the sound I'm after I will try (spring ) reverb in front of the amp, between the amp and cab or at the end of the chain.

I do every preset differently, but I lean more heavily on effects in front of the amp than many people.
I love to use stereo with two amps, one set to IN L and the other set to IN R, into a stereo Ultra Res cab.

I have DRIVE pedals PRE, delays PRE and POST, compressor PRE and POST, Reverb POST.

Depending on the sound I'm after I will try (spring ) reverb in front of the amp, between the amp and cab or at the end of the chain.

Cliff: "Placing reverb after the Cab is the recommended routing. The reverb is stereo. The Cab block may be mono so you would lose the stereo field. Both blocks are linear so there is no advantage to placing reverb before the Cab."

Back
Top Bottom