What kind of XLR Cables are you using?

rsm

I'm looking to get XLR cables to run from my Ultra to my-as-yet-to-be-ordered Apogee Duet. At some point, I may get a pair of FRFRs and would like to be able to reuse the cables. The cables would also be used for mics too, on occasion. Nearly every XLR cable I find is labeled "mic", I did find some for powered speakers but these look too thin and not sure if they are appropriate for use with the Duet? Pro-Co has XLR cables labeled "audio" are these any different from "mic" cables? And Bayou Cables has Digital Audio Cables...so many types - what are the best and most versatile choices?

So, are most people using XLR mic cables from their Axe-FX balanced outs or something else?

Yes, I did see the bluejeanscable link on the wiki too, just looking for more info and options.

Peace.

Generally in our biz cables fall into 3 groups. Guitar/Mic/Speaker.

The Mic cables also serve as patch cables. I make them custom with Canare and Neutrik.

Yep. Three types:
- guitar: two concentric conductors: a single center wire (connected to the tip of the jack plug) with a an outer shield wire (sleeve of the jack) that's wrapped around the inner. Of course with proper insulation and protection. Commonly the center wire conducts the signal and the outer wire is connected to ground and acts as a shield against magnetic (electrical) interference from outside the cable into the inner wire (google Faraday cage). Look for wire with as low capacitance as you can find: the higher the capacitance, the more it will interfere with your guitars signal (will get duller). Resistance isn't very important,

- xlr: three conductors: two center wires with a an outer shield wire that's wrapped around the two inner wires. What is called balanced operation: In the signal source (mic, DI, Axe-FX, mixing desk) the signal is split in two, one half is reversed in phase. Those two signals are sent through the cable, both receiving the same interference resulting in the same noise. At the receiving side, one of the signals is subtracted from the other, the noise is subtracted as well and cancels itself out. The third conductor is again a shield.
These are most used for microphones for their noise cancelling ability, that's why it's called microphone cable, but have many uses other than that. Usually when low noise is required, the signals are very weak (dynamic mics) or if signal has to be transported over longer distances.
There are also balanced cables with jack plugs: those jacks have three connections (TRS: Tip, ring, sleeve) and can also be used for stereo operation, although that's not ideal. Since the two wires are not shielded from eachother, only from the outside world, they can interfere with each other within the cable. But that's usually negligable.

- Speaker cables have two wires inside, placed side-by-side, not concentric (not shielded), usually thicker to accomodate the larger current that flows through them. Speaker cable is not shielded, so usage for anything other than speakers is not recommended and can result in serious noise. Look for the lowest resistance in these. Because of the higher current the capacitance is less important than the resistance.

Actually I think guitars would benefit greatly from balanced cables, but that would require a DI built in and of course the input of the amps have to be adapted (unbalancing the signal). And sometimes you just don't want a clean sound... :D

Are you interested in a Duet? I have one used maybe 3 times. I dont really record to my laptop and have a Rosetta 800 for my main Logic/Apple G5 rig. I would let you have it for $400 + shipping. You can reach me at john@johnseitz.com or 862-268-1682.

Thanks everyone. Great info and confirmation of my Mogami preference :lol:

I'm familiar with the guitar/instrument/speaker etc. cables of the 1/4" and TRS variety not so much the XLR types. My bass and guitar pre-amps (save one) all have balanced XLR outs, and I use the 1/4" unbalanced outs to my power amp and speaker cables to the cabs. When playing bass live the soundman would just plug an XLR into my pre-amp (at my request) rather than mic'ing my cabs, guitar was usually mic'ed.

The demystifying the "mic" factor of XLR cables is greatly appreciated, I can use any good quality "mic" cable for all applications I need...sweet!

I have Mogami for instrument cables and Monster for speaker cables, so I'll probably go that route for the XLRs too. I've read the Monster XLRs sound warmer than Mogami which were said to sound cold or sterile. I've not found either to be the case. Both sound great to me. The Monster speaker cables seemed much better than the Mogami; and the Mogami instrument cables seemed much better that the Monster. Any opinions on Mogami vs. Monster?

Peace.

Back
Top Bottom