What is......

The context is simply this, as I updated my firmware I checked the utility page to see if I correctly updated the 20.02 firmware as well as the 1.14 USB update and noticed under the USB version something that says FPGA 16. I quite simply don't understand what this is and am curious if it's up to date on my computer.

A bunch of gates on a chip that can be configured on the fly.

stolen from: file:///C:/Users/Pauly/Downloads/FPGA%20for%20Dummies%20-%20part%201%20-%20Historical%20introduction.pdf

FPGAs initially were Similar to CPLDs, so a function to be implemented in FPGA is partitioned into modules (each implemented in a logic block) and then the logic blocks are connected with the programmable interconnection: ARRAY of logic GATES is the G and A in FPGA. By way of a configuration file or bit stream, an FPGA can be configured to implement the user’s desired function: this allows customization at the user’s electronics bench, or even in the final end product. This is why FPGAs are FIELD PROGRAMMABLE.

It's obvious you folk have way more understanding on this subject then me. I simply want to know if "FPGA 16" is proper for my current firmware, or am I missing an update.......as I've never updated FPGA before.

Hi again.
Treat it as irrelevant - As long as your firmware and USB firmware are up to date, you're good to go.
Thanks
Pauly

It's obvious you folk have way more understanding on this subject then me. I simply want to know if "FPGA 16" is proper for my current firmware, or am I missing an update.......as I've never updated FPGA before.

Yeah, I'm a tech-nerd by trade/hobby and FPGA is some shit.

The way I understand it...is it's a chip that can be configured at the HW level. Sort of a middle between RISC and general CPU.

Back
Top Bottom