What is your setup for recording direct?

I know many on this forum use the Ultra for gigging. I strictly bought this for studio work. How many of you
are just recording direct without the use of any outboard gear..(preamp/eq/compressor)? My setup
order is Ultra>Neve DPD 1073>/Distressor (put in DPD inserts)..I use the DPD AES digital out into SDIF Coax
of a RME Multiface > Nuendo 3. For mixdown I use a Apogee DA16x > SPL Mixdream into the inserts of the DPD and
record via Alesis Masterlink. My UAD1 plugins supply eq at the moment. I monitor through Dynaudio BM5A's. Just
curious as to what recording chain Ultra owners are using?..BTW I did try recording direct via the Ultra digital out, but
I like the color added by my other gear.

I guess my setup is rather spartan compared to yours but I play out more than record.

Axe balanced outs to MBox2 Pro by firewire to Computer's ProTools. Monitoring by using balanced outs from MBox2 Pro to a pair of Verve 12ma's.

Although I plan to experiment using digital out to the MBox2 and digital out to computer, but I haven't worked that out yet.

Mine is pretty basic...

Axe Out to M Audio Delta 44>Cubase 4. Monitoring from KrK 5's.

I have never tried the Digital Out on the Axe...

Axe AES digital outs to AES digital in on MOTU HD192. In some patches, I run an old ART Levelar compressor in the Axe FX loop for a little color, but in most it is straight to the interface at 24/48. I'm sure if I had a 1073 I would use it for a lot of things...

I've used Axe - spdif - tc konnekt 24D - Reaper / XP for about a year. A while back we got new laptops at work with vista and it's been a total hell ever since. Snap, pop and cracle and problems all day long.

Last week I threw in the towel and ordered myself a Macbook pro and Apogee Duet. I've been jonesing for a mac for quite some time and I finally got the excuse I needed to buy one. :D

Joakim

Axefx-Vintech X73 or Pacifica-Anamod-UA 2192- PTHD
Sometimes a Distressor and/or a Speck para eq gets used, but not that often.

Axe analog outputs > Digi 003 > mac > protools, the other pair of outputs go into a mackie for direct monitoring with BM5A so there is no latency issues;
I tried the spdif out but I did not hear any difference and it makes the setup more complex with protools, you have to be at 48K and EZ drummer does not like it very much. I also realized that using the effect loop allowed me to have one channel of dry signal, sparing the use of a splitter (i put in at the beginning of the patch, on a separate row). I like to get the dry at the same time as the processed sound so I can reamp it afterwards.

Matt_B said:
Axe-FX SPDIF OUT >>> to M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 SPDIF >>> Analog Outs >>> M-Audio powered monitors

hey if you are using the S/PDIF digital out wouldn't your M-Audio Audiophile need to be at 48khz? I'm just asking because I'm wondering if there is some trick here that might be useful that i don't know

AxeFX Ultra -> Presonus StudioLive 16 ch Firewire desk -> Mac Pro

The StudioLive is a pretty remarkable entry level digital desk ($1660 or so street price); we are using it with the live band to record 18 tracks at our live shows, but it's also a 16 channel interface for the computer. The mic preamps are fairly transparent and it has something called the Fat Channel, which gives you a high pass filter, gate, compressor, and 4-band parametric EQ on each channel, plus two onboard effects (reverb and delay), 4 subgroups, and 6 monitor mixes. It does not work as a control surface for Logic etc., because it lacks motorized faders, but it does have very simple and glitch-free recording software; arm as many of the 16 channels as you want to record, hit record and that's that, 16 bit, 48kHz WAV files.

I'm about to put my Apogee Duet 2-channel Firewire interface up on eBay; that has nice A/D converters and good mic preamps as well, for the money.

AxFX Ultra SPDIF Out > RME Fireface 800 Balanced Out > Adam A7 Powered Studio Monitors
Vista Ultimate 64
Sonar 7 Producer Edition
MOTU Timepiece AV for midi connections

Axe XLR to Tascam US428 to Sonar on XP box or Logic on iMac. Lately Logic is winning.

Hi, complete newbie with all of this. Will be getting an axe fx ultra in the near future and was curious about running a line to the SPDIF in on my sound card. Is it really just that simple? What software would i need to get some sound coming through to my computer speakers? Im assuming something like Pro Tools....

Cheers

Pretty easy. Two analog XLR outs into two channels of the Metric Halo ULN-8. A touch of Character setting. Maybe Softsat or Modern TubeSat. This goes into either DP 7.22 or Pro Tools 9. That's all she wrote. Works great.

Back
Top Bottom